GreaseSpot Cafe

Got my Stimulus Check!

RottieGrrrl

Direct Deposit last Friday. I went to VonMaur and got the cutest crystal lined top on sale half price for 49$! I also bought some rhinestone NYDJ (not your daughter's jeans) for 118$! What fun! :) Now I think I will get my teeth whitened.

Someone write George Bush and tell him I did my part in saving the country!

Luminescence is great for whitening teeth. Your dentist will clean your teeth and take x-rays, assuming that's a need, then make acrylic molds, "trays" they are called, of your upper and low teeth. You get a kit with I think six little syringes in it containing the Luminescence, and you spuirt this stuff in a thing line at the bottom of the "trays" and wear them for up to 4 hours at a time. I will warn you; it makes your teeth very sensitive the first few times.

There are similar preparations that I understand don't cause quite the sensitivity.

This should not cost more than $300. Any more than that and you are definitely being ripped off. I got mine done at the Ohio State College of Dentistry and it cost me $150.

Keep the trays; my family dentist sells the whitener alone if you have the trays, not expensive at all.

WG (smilling whitely)

Hey no kidding about the gas. Believe me I thought of that when I got my money, how much will go towards gas and oil!

WG: Yes! My dentist already explained the procudure to me and it's exactly as you say. The kit itself cost 245 bucks I believe he said. 2 hours at a time, and he warned me about smoking cause it could really get in the teeth. That's going to be hard for me. But yup, just like you said.

The way it was last time, and the way I understand it will be this time, is the checks we just got are advances on a tax credit for tax year 2008, in other words, the returns that we'll do next Spring.

I believe the only problem some of might have is if we have fewer eligible children next year than we had this year.

I don't know what chemicals were used on my ex but the treatment also came with a precaution about eating foods that stain teeth for something like a month - no red wine, etc etc - maybe Sudo can comment

Luminescence is great for whitening teeth. Your dentist will clean your teeth and take x-rays, assuming that's a need, then make acrylic molds, "trays" they are called, of your upper and low teeth. You get a kit with I think six little syringes in it containing the Luminescence, and you spuirt this stuff in a thing line at the bottom of the "trays" and wear them for up to 4 hours at a time. I will warn you; it makes your teeth very sensitive the first few times.

There are similar preparations that I understand don't cause quite the sensitivity.

This should not cost more than $300. Any more than that and you are definitely being ripped off. I got mine done at the Ohio State College of Dentistry and it cost me $150.

Keep the trays; my family dentist sells the whitener alone if you have the trays, not expensive at all.

WG (smilling whitely)

The way it was last time, and the way I understand it will be this time, is the checks we just got are advances on a tax credit for tax year 2008, in other words, the returns that we'll do next Spring.

that's how i read it, oak

can anyone clarify ? i have people disagreeing with me....

i think it is just an advance on next year's

eh ?

When we do our taxes next year, included in the deductions, exemptions etc will be a credit for (for most people) $600, ($1200 for married filing jointly) plus $300 for each child born after December 31st 1992. This is a credit that does not appear on previous year's taxes.

When figuring what you owe for taxes, you will deduct the credit that you allowed from your tax liability.

For example, if you owe $3500 in taxes, are married filing jointly with one qualifying child, you will deduct $1500, leaving you with a liability of $2000.

Then, since you received $1500 this year, there'll be a line taking this into account, adding the $1500 back in, leaving your liability again at $3500.

In effect, it's a wash for next year. But for accounting purposes, it's an advance on a credit on next year's taxes that you haven't gotten yet. It doesn't reduce your refund (if you get one) for next year.

The only potential problem that I see is if the number of exemptions changes. In my case, I received $300 because I claimed my step-daughter in 2007. Do I have to give that $300 back next year because her biologiical dad will be claiming her in 2008? Or if you get divorced between now and tax time 2008. Does that change things?