GreaseSpot Cafe

Achieving your childhood dreams

Kit Sober

Randy Pausch last lecture at Carnegie Mellon University May 19, 2008 Randy Pausch encourages graduates at Carnegie Mellon (6 minutes) Watching these videos has been life changing.Also I obtained an Internal Auditor certification a few days ago, and I realized it may be the first something I have achieved since taking the pfal class 39 years ago. Randy Pausch's words helped me understand this sweet spot of living, the passion of life people talk about but I could never relate to because of the cloud of the cult mentality, and other sense darkening things. I am thinking now those childhood dreams are achievable (I may be too old to be a professional ballerina, but I can still dance.)Thanks for your kindness of friendship and support. You mean more to me than you can know this side of heaven. Thanks, again,

Thanks for posting this Kit; it's wonderfully inspiring.

In his commencement speech, Pausch lists questions that if answered honestly

provide insight and clear direction for a life well-lived.

An incisive perspective and one to which we could all aspire.

And, with a twist of humor, his conversion was to buy a Mac! :)

• 2 months later...

Bless you Kit...and thank You!

I send my Congratulations as well on achieving you Auditor Certification!!! :eusa_clap::eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

Randy Pausch - He lived very well and thoroughly....truly an inspirational finale and well worth the time to listen to and His dedication of it all in the end helped me know him the most! It is a sad loss of a rare man. He died today; but his wisdom lives on in the hearts He touched!!!

Dateline did their show on him tonight.

What a great guy.

But guys like him always make me feel so inadequate. Like they're doing it right - and I'm not.

And there's probably more truth than poetry in that.

How ironic though. One of the few that really seems to have figured out how to live life to the fullest, and his is cut short.

With all the jerkoffs and goofballs around that live long - pointless - existences the one in a million who seems to get it right, and this happens. Too damned sad...

I never had a *Childhood* dream.

I learned banjo at age 19, and that (maybe) took the place of the childhood dreams (had I ever had one).

There wasn't anything more important in life (then), than picking banjo like the folks I heard on records,

or in concert, or at the fields at festival jam session that I might have been lucky enough to be a part of.

Yea --- I know --- low aspirations, but they were high ones for me at the time!

Hmmm. Now that I think about it, I haven't raised my sights much higher (in the past 30 some years).

A friend of mine on another site has the signature line of:

Your Wealth Is Not Measured By What You Have;

But Rather By That Which you Have,

That You Refuse To Take Money For.

I agree. :eusa_clap:

Edited by dmiller

How ironic though. One of the few that really seems to have figured out how to live life to the fullest, and his is cut short.

With all the jerkoffs and goofballs around that live long - pointless - existences the one in a million who seems to get it right, and this happens. Too damned sad...

I have a feeling that people like him seem to understand so many things precisely because they know their time is very limited. For most of us, barring some unforeseen event, we expect to go on living quite a bit longer. That makes us a bit complacent. If you were told today that you have three months to live, I bet you would get your stuff in order quickly and try to do all the things you want to do.

I've noticed a similar, albeit different, attitude in the elderly. The happiest elderly people are the ones who accomplished the things they wanted in life and feel satisfied with the results. They spend their remaining years as spectators of the rest of us living our lives, and seem grateful that they get to see what is going on for yet another day.

I know his wife and children would rather have him personally, but since that is not available, it would seem he left a great legacy for them.

i'm really very sad to hear about his passing

childhood dreams, much too painful a subject for me

i don't think only the good die young

i've seen really good people live on and on and on

and i've seen really bad people die early -- and live on and on and on

so, i'm glad i shared my insight