GreaseSpot Cafe

WHO IN/FROM TWI DESERVES YOUR MONEY?

JeffSjo

Y'know Jeff, I think your question asks the right question and in the right way. "Deserves" strikes the chord for me.

One aspect to the giving of dough to the Way Nash was tithing, giving 10 percent (or more, however it was defined by them at that moment) And "ABS", sharing of 'bundance. Over and above, all of that.

Nearly everyone who tithes recognizes that tithing is defined by a giving back of a part of what you have, in thanks to God, who is recognized as the giver. Of your stuff, whatever it is, and of course, life itself and all that goes with it.

Tithing, completely separate from "who" gets it, involves a relationship between two - God and me. God and the person. It's a matter 'tween us.

In the case of the Way, their stance was one of "we taught you The Word, did all this stuff for you, we're the agents of Godly change in your life, the ones without whom you'd have nuttin', so we're the most deserving recipients and anyone else is a counterfeit, undeserving and just plain gettin' what isn't theirs. So don't blow the dough, show the dough. To us. We're the godly source and therefore the correct place to give your money."

Add to that, that they argued regardless of what went on, tithing should occur, as well as the ABSing, so if yu don't do it, you're scrooed and not recognizing God in your life, so get over it and give them the money.

That's very debatable, to say the least and has been done so lo these many years by many people.

Add to that also, that they taught that tithing was key to "prospering" so again, if you want to prospoer, get over it, anything keeping you from not tithing even if it's their lousy organization and do it anyway. It's just the smart thing to do, so be smart.

Basically, they gave people an offer they couldn't refuse, with a godfatherly kind of love.

Until refusal was the choice, in which case other options were considered like - divert that recognition to someone who wasn't at least a lying sack of dog doo with a bad attitude. Maintain the relationship correctly, 'tween us and God and let the recipient be someone or something that truly needs it and is at least trying to use it in some way that has real, clear benefit. Not just mow the green green grass of the Way Nash yet another year and provide 3 squares and a roof for people you don't even really know, much less trust and respect.

That change of choice has proven to be completely cool and correct by the many who have done so.

People thankful to God for all He's done for them, recognizing His goodness, in ways and means that are real and useful. Scintillating.

And much more worthy of the true intent of "tithing" - to focus once again on the goodness of God.

The old testament had their church pretty established, and their laws I guess.

But in Acts ... there was some helping of each other, but when was all the loot ever moved to a central location from where it was never distributed? A special collection maybe was taken for a certain area in need. It was for that express purpose ... it had not been amassed at HQ at then distributed from the vaults.

It seems the collection of money from the poor (WOWs) to give to the rich (trustees) was perhaps as ungodly and unbiblical as the adultery doctrine, as far as I can tell.

So we have sex, money ... power ... using their power as ministers and bosses to lord over people and take advantage sexually and otherwise ...

TWI really was the real deal ... real evil ... :eusa_clap:

I would agree rhino. I know some churches do teach the doctrine of tithing as if it were a requirement today and do it in good faith.

The foundation for it - giving as a response and recognition of God's goodness to us is, I believe, sound. The practice of that foundation, the concept, is described in words that reflect grace in Christ - freely, cheerfully.

I think the Way knows that tithing is not a requirement for a follower of Jesus Christ, today, post-resurrection and ascension. Yet they have taught it as a requirement for their members, to be practiced if one expects to be blessed by God.

The Way deliberately crafted certain parts of scripture - like Paul's collections for the saints - as being instructions from God and examples as to how followers of Christ were to act - scheduled, patterned and repetitive.

This ignores the deeper truth of how the early followers grouped together and worked to help and support each other. By collecting moneys and gathering them all in one place to be administered for the use of that one place and one place only they strangle the vision of the group for itself. It's more of an "every man for himself" kind of practice than a family working together.

I've said it before - for a group that prided itself on doing what "the Word" says and not following the ways of the "world", the Way clearly allowed itself to be controlled by what it claimed were the constraints of tax law and status. Where was the "phooey on that!" attitude that so characterized their approach to "right doctrine" in other areas?

The Way talked a good walk but never backed it up with action, never truly followed the pattern of the early Church in it's infancy, as seen in Acts 2-6.

So no, IMO they don't deserve a penny of anyone's money. Certainly not if the intent is to give to an organization that "does what the Word says". :blink:

Dear Socks and Rhino,

Ever since I came to Greasespot I've been learning things that I never could have believed before I saw the really nasty, domineering side of TWI while participating in a small splinter group.

I hope that this topic along with everyone's valuable input can help someone make sense of their TWI experience.

I think that it's possible that even present day churches or splinter groups could learn from these type of topics too, but that might be looking for too much. It would take an outstandingly uprightly hearted person to admit publically that they were wrong and decieved, and would now do their best. SIGH... One can hope.

With so much of the splinter groups handling of money based on TWI's model there certainly are many things that are wrong out there.

Hi,

I don't normally post-I lurk and read and look for friends---BUT---this topic is too good to miss.

When we left in 1988--ages ago--during the "Great Mass Exodus". (Basically the whole state walked) I remember the limb leader had held back the ABS.

He said we were all welcome to take it back. Hubby went and grabbed ours and what did we do with it???

GOT OUR PHONED TURNED BACK ON!! Then we really splurged and got the BIG box of Pampers!!

Two babies and no phone!! What was I thinking??? Had to ABS!!

None of them deserved or deserve our money. Not a single one! That is my own humble opinion for what it is worth!

THANKS-that felt good!! :eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

• Upvote 1

Funny, Geisha-

My husband and I have been talking about this for quite some time... how we were promised "abundance" and told we needed to "ABUNDANTLY SHARE" in order to get the abundance... While we were driving cars that would break down at any time - and often did. And barely having enough to make it.

BUT - don't go into debt for anything that could help you out of the situation you were in - no college education unless you could pay for it in cash. No buying a house that would save you a ton of money on rent each month - not unless you had the cash to do it!!

But give less than they wanted OFF THE TOP, and you wouldn't prosper?? HECK, we were checking our couch cushions for change and digging furniture out of the dumpster because we couldn't afford to buy it ourselves!

But we were so afraid not to give to twi because God would remove his blessing from our lives. Crap, if this was life WITH his blessing, then what would it be like without it?

What were we thinking?? :confused:

What were we thinking?? :confused:

You might have been on LSD...with a lot of other people? :biglaugh: But now that you've grown up and become enlightened, you really should have the answers by now? Somehow, I think after all the threads throughout the years, we all realize, it was a business scam. But, if you still are wondering or have any doubts, just join one of those splinters waiting to "pick you up". You can start all over! <_<

I am laughing because I remember the great change hunts!!Check the couches--check the laundry! Did you check ALL the pockets??LOL

I became a master dumpster diver.

Once my daughter grabbed an apple at the store-took a huge bite and I worried!!- But, we had exactly 18 cents to cover her toddler purchase.

A close one!!

When I think now of all the houses we had to share and the basics we went without I shudder. Good life lesson I guess.

Think I have it figured out now though, which is why I give where I want when I can!!

• Upvote 1

Well, on the one hand I see the necessity for having church buildings and the need then to maintain them and to pay for a minister's salary etc. There's not a lot of people who wish to devote their lives to the study of the Word of God, ministering to people at all hours (literally), which is why they came up with the salaried ministers.

What should happen ideally?? Twi did have it right with the in-home fellowships, but again....how many are really interested in providing an open home 24/7? When push comes to shove, people will back out even if they start it gung ho.

Then how many are willing to take in the strangers and the homeless? How many are willing to take in ex-cons to help them get a good foot up on life again? Not too many, I dare say.

So with this in mind....this should explain the reason for the need to donate to shelters, churches, nurseries, etc. etc.

Blessings.