GreaseSpot Cafe

Busy day

GeorgeStGeorge

Today promises to be a busy one for me.

I retire from Dow after 26.5 years, so I've got to finish cleaning out my lab, my office, my computer, etc.

Although I don't have a new job lined up yet (though Celanese seems likely), we know we'll be leaving the Freeport area, so we close on the sale of our house today. The contract stipulates that we don't have to leave until at least Aug. 1.

I'm performing in a jazz concert tonight.

Busy, busy, busy... :blink:

George

Congrats George ... glad any spiritual insight I poured on you in the day did not harm you too much, so you could retire successfully at such a young age ...

If you are retired, why are you looking for another job? Shouldn't you dedicate yourself to more Green Lantern like endeavors?

Anyway ... congrats on a presumably successful 26 years at DOW ... do we have any items we can thank you for? eg. What did you work on? ... Any products we know?

Rhino,

Dow told me in January that I was retiring in June. :rolleyes:

But, there's a good separation package and a partial pension, so we're not hurting. I just don't feel like really retiring yet. A few more years in industry, and then maybe "retiring" to teach at a junior college or small university.

If you took color film to a fast-film developer, they probably used Photo Chelate in their process, and I've worked on that. Also a number of food items (mostly soft drinks and sauces) contain calcium disodium EDTA (or calcium disudium edetate), another compound I worked on. I did not invent these compounds, I just improved Dow's processes to make them.

George

Ahhh yes - DOW - wasn't the 60's tagline "Better living through chemistry" My daughter is studying molecular bio-engineering - I'm hoping she'll cook up some thing really - ummm - ummm - never mind. Anyway - congrats on the move forward.

Edited by RumRunner

Well hey!! If you're retiring -- you have that much more time for twig, and witnessing!! :D

(How many green cards have you got, anyway??? I've got a few to spare!!) :P

Congrats on the moving *onward and upward*. Here's wishing you *Da Best*. ;)

All the best in your new life, George. Enjoy whatever you find to do. :)