GreaseSpot Cafe

The Cone of Bertha

Raf

Krys - while the weather underground (which Raf seems to prefer) is indeed an excellent site - you can also go to http://www.nhc.noaa.gov.

From there - on top of each storm you will see various useful advisories - "Public Adv", "Fcst/Adv", and "Discussion" are the most interesting for most folks. "Discussion" tends to be more technical/scientific with discussion of sea surface temperature, upper level wind shear etc. Public tends to be updated more frequently as a cyclone approaches populated areas and tends toward the more "practical" - "leave now." Fcst is somewhere in between.

I'm certainly glad of that! For a while, there, I thought it might be making a Bee Line right for Jersey and THAT thought was scary!!!

Thanks RR! I go there (your link) as well and for our area....so much farther north than where Raf lives, it is a better bet.

BUT - - don't mind my being a bit nervous this year. I've live through more than one of these bad boys in my lifetime and I don't like them. It's not just the storm...it's the aftermath...no power....no air conditioning...(not needed in San Diego, I'm told)...and the rest of the aftermath.

Where I am...so close to NYC, I also look at the right angle the coastline makes in this region, and if a storm slammed in here, there would be real problems from water and flooding in excess of "just" a hurricane.

It's been quite some time since this area has been hit, and I've heard experts say that "statistically" we are due. Life is....what it is. That doesn't mean I have to like it.