GreaseSpot Cafe

Gas Grills

Mister P-Mosh

Good morning folks,

I am looking into going ahead and getting a gas grill since it will be cool enough to start being outside some in a month or two. From everything I've read, Weber are great, and that is the only brand I should consider. However, they are extremely expensive in comparison with most of the other brands like Char Broil or the others. Is it worth it to get a Weber? What features are essential and which can I do without? Is it better to get stainless steel, or is another material better?

I was considering spending $700 or so on a grill, but I would prefer to spend far less if I can help it. What do you all suggest for a family of three who would grill a few days a week?

I haven't cooked out for a few years now.

When I did, I always bought a bottom of the line model at the end of the season.

(Usually about $100.00)

I replaced it every 5 years or so.

It was plenty big enough for three people.

Your mileage may vary.

It's always a good idea to keep an extra tank of fuel on hand. Nothing worse than running out of gas at the wrong moment.

Better yet, see if you can run a dedicated natural gas line from your house. (You will need to change the orifice, though.)

As to being outside, one of our primary motivators was always the idea of keeping the cooking heat outside the house. Thus, the hotter the weather, the more we cooked out.

That's my 2 cents

It's worth it to get a Weber if you are going for the non gas charcoal grill. I love my conventional Weber. But as far as a Weber gas grill, you are probably going to pay for the Name more than the quality. No doubt the quality is good, but not necessarily better than other less expensive grills. I have a brand new gas grill made by Charm-Glow. It is awesome, but many times I prefer to use my Weber charcoal grill when it comes to slow barbecue-ing, which is a necessity when it comes to chicken, grilled salmon, and ribs of any kind. With the gas grill, I cannot regulate the airflow by squeezing it off, and that irks me no end.

And so, I use that when I want to do some steaks which I will stand by as I grill 'em, and also it's great for hot dogs and hamburgers. Mine also has a burner exterior of the grilling area, and it's great for slowly cooking beans, corn on the cob, etc. In fact, when Juneau's hydro-electric power lines were disrupted when an avalanche brought down three of the towers coming from the power plant and the city had to go to a diesel generator to supply our electricity during this period of high fuel cost, I quit using my oven and cooked almost exclusively with my new gas grill, and it was awesome! We saved lots on electricity by cooking with gas. So now, I still use it for many of our meals.

I paid $299.00 for my Charm-Glow, and it is really nice. It is not the biggest Charm-Glow, but plenty big enough for me...

I've got the Weber Genesis E-320, and I love it.  Yes it is more expensive than some others, but it does have the functionality I wanted, will last a long time, and was voted #1 best grill by Consumersearch.com.  http://www.consumersearch.com/www/sports_a...-grill-reviews/

I've had a lot of cheaper grills before, which all were fine for what they were, but when I decided to upgrade to something more permanent, I'm glad I went with the Weber Genesis.  Good luck wit your search!

I've got the Weber Genesis E-320, and I love it. Yes it is more expensive than some others, but it does have the functionality I wanted, will last a long time, and was voted #1 best grill by Consumersearch.com. http://www.consumersearch.com/www/sports_a...-grill-reviews/

I've had a lot of cheaper grills before, which all were fine for what they were, but when I decided to upgrade to something more permanent, I'm glad I went with the Weber Genesis. Good luck wit your search!

That's the exact model I was looking at, actually. I will continue looking into it, but I want to check out the other brands too.

As long as you're going to Home Depot P-Mosh check out VERMONT CASTINGS... their gas grill was top rated by Consumer Reports a year or two ago and I bought one... three burners, even distribution of heat, ceramic grates... and not so expensive! I even talked them into the floor model and got more $ off... if you'd like for me to email you the CR ratings from the online website let me know via PM...