GreaseSpot Cafe

Shoe Throwing?

cheranne

Muntader al-Zaidi — the Iraqi journalist who threw his shoes at President Bush yesterday during a press conference — “is being investigated for possible charges not connected to assaulting President Bush, but for doing it in front of the Iraqi Prime Minister and hurling the shoes in the Prime Minister’s general direction rather than at President Bush’s head.” After CNN host T.J. Holmes clarified that “just because the Iraqi Prime Minister was in the vicinity that might really be what gets him in trouble,” Ware responded, “Yeah brother, this is Iraq.”

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/12/15/zaidi-charged-maliki/

Isn't it great to know that that is what 5 years in Iraq has brought us? A man might be charged because the Prime Minister was in the general direction of his dissent.

I should have put this in politics! Can we change that Paw?

I just wonder how many shoes there will be at the white house lawn this week! :unsure:

His reaction time was super quick like people had thrown things at him before.

Didn't he own a baseball team?

Yeah Mstar but I'd rather have any one of the "three" (there were actually four) stooges as president than the current one - and it is not based on my political inclination just my view of complete mismanagement of a country. Just as an aside there was Curly, Larry and Moe but most people (unless they are my age) do not remember Shemp.

Good post and thanks

I'd say two shoes is a pretty mild answer to millions of bombs thrown on Iraq by Bush. Ahh - who started this throwing business, anyway?

In one sense, I found it to be hilarious and since nobody but the shoe thrower got hurt it's ok to laugh at it.

On the other hand, I don't like that he threw it at our president (barf) and what it says about the harm we have done to Iraq that a journalist can get so angry that he risks his life on something so futile. I read elsewhere that the journalist who threw the shoes had several family members who were killed in Iraq, and that he had been recently kidnapped and tortured. I think his trauma overrode his common sense and dedication to being a neutral member of the media.

• 2 weeks later...