GreaseSpot Cafe

The Slow March to Corps Conformity

skyrider

Time and chance happen to us all as noted in Ecclesiastes. For wierwille and his pfal class, the window of opportunity had arrived in 1968. With his marketing class "in the can".......the counterculture movement in full swing.......the Jesus Movement making waves and airwaves across the country.......the distrust for government and official authorities........the young generation breaking from the church.........wierwille, at 51, was primed and ready with his message.

Drugs, sex and rock-n-roll accompanied the mix. The counterculture revolution was on the move........pushing the doors "of the establishment" and beyond. Back in Ohio, wierwille took notice............and makes a trip to Haight-Ashbury to witness it firsthand. Tapping the sources of early Jesus-movement leaders, wierwille saw this opportune time and soon thereafter, the first make-shift "rock of ages" took place. And, the theme wierwille launched....."Addicted to the ministry of the saints."

Under the flag of "like-mindedness" and "non-conformity to the things of this world"..........in ten years, wierwille had started The Slow March to Corps Conformity. By manipulation and exploitation, wierwille had subtly built "an infantry of crack troops" that would march to his orders, his research, his agendas. The briefcase-totting corps were his elite men and women.......wierwille's pride and joy. Corps need to marry corps, he ordered.

The pyramid structure of twi was wierwille's supreme strategy......with good friend, Ermal, and brother Harry cowering to wierwille's whims and demands. No accountability was the playground where wierwille thrived. He had no equals......and even scriptural admonitions on "Thou shalt not commit adultery" wierwille referenced these occurrences as "spiritual adultery." Wierwille's "research" was twisted to his liking.

Wierwille was a "grandfather-figure"......a smooth operator. Twi became a cult of personality under his rule and his entourage of aides, bodyguards, adulating yes-men fanned the flames of conformity as well.

Martindale never had this subtle approach. His demands for respect never materialized.......especially with Cgeer standing in the wings, full-ready to usurp this authority at the pinnacle moment.

In the end, wierwille failed. His "work" never survived one generation. His mantle-bound successor, martindale, followed wierwille's orders to "loosen-up sexually" to reach higher spiritual maturity............in 1998..........SPLLLAAAAT.

Wierwille never saw it coming.....................THE INTERNET.

Wierwille never could conceive....................HIS SEXUAL PREDATION EXPOSED.

Wierwille's legacy will go down.....................IN THE HALLS OF CULTDOM.

Wierwille's pomp as "twi president"...............IS OVERSHADOWED AS PREDATOR.

:evildenk:

I just got chills. that was an excellent summation of vpw's success and twi's failure.

all I can say is thank god for the internet. twi leaders tried to make me stay off it, but I refused and it eventually led me to GS and freedom.

I just got chills. that was an excellent summation of vpw's success and twi's failure.

all I can say is thank god for the internet. twi leaders tried to make me stay off it, but I refused and it eventually led me to GS and freedom.

Thanks........the archives contain lots of good discussion towards this summation.

When I went into the corps program after two years of WOW service, I was highly anticipating this much-heralded spiritual training for those who wanted to serve God. Yeah, "For those who want to be their best for His Highest" was the clarion call reverberating at the time. My expectations were high!

The first two months of corps training were filled with.......Dale Carnegie principles and salesmanship, PFAL rehash teachings and discussion groups, memory peg concepts, learning all the names of corps, 4-hour work details, dorm room regulations, branch responsibilities and daily twig roll call. Three days a week, we were to be in our seats by 5:20 am.....ten minutes ahead of the teaching start time of 5:30 am. Some evenings, the 7:30 pm teaching was NOT the last meeting of the day. Meetings followed meetings.......and the droning went on and on.

By the end of those two months, I had succombed to a mind frame of regimentation...... for indeed, wierwille was stressing discipline to "walk by the spirit." This lockstep mentality was the standing m.o. ......reinforced by videos of Patton and MacArthur with suggested reading. The message was clear: follow orders and jump when wierwille says "jump." The corps program was, supposedly a facsimile of a "spiritual" marine corps.

In this intense environment, soon following the chain of command, following orders, eclipsed the twi-propaganda wherein it was "for His Highest." I sometimes refer to this indoctrination as "information-overload"........they had us on our heels and were barking more and more orders. Of course, the question is always asked....."Well, why did you stay?" Simply put..... in the middle of a stream, one doesn't jump horses. I really thought that, once graduated....this "discipline" would open my understanding to more spiritual insight. Little did I realize at this youthful moment........that wierwille had NO intentions of letting the corps go "serve His Highest." On the contrary, wierwille was striving to build an elitist force that snapped a salute at his command.

The Slow March to Corps Conformity......built an SS force......which later became, The Slow March to Cult Conformity.

This "march" led us AWAY from God and AWAY from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

This "march" led us AWAY from the simple truths and AWAY from the manifestations.

This "march" led us to the death camps of innocence and trust.

How important was corps comformity to wierwille's march on mainstream Christianity?

Hypothetically, what if there'd NEVER been a corps program.......what would the twi landscape look like today?

Imo........wierwille, at 51, began considering and calculating the need for "class instructors." Not teachers, mind you..... but instructors, staying vigilant and faithful to instructing others only.

Of course,.......the printed material lauded this corps program as "service and spiritual training," but really IN PRACTICE wierwille was striving to INDOCTRINATE INSTRUCTORS for pfal. Year after year, the corps "training" was steeped in obey-your-leader commands........only side journeys around the time of advanced classes did the emphasis change to the other six manifestations of the spirit.

By the late 70's, many corps had MOVED FORWARD.......families, careers, advancements, military assignments, and yet wierwille REMAINED STATIC in his resolve. There was NO room for dynamic change.......NO desire to alter the status quo......and NO consideration for change. Wierwille needed INSTRUCTORS....not leaders.

<_<

I wasn't corps, but that must have been madening to be pumped up as capable Ambassadors and super-conquerors only to become glorified go-fers and chair stringers.

I think my compassion for the Corps Grads just got stepped up a notch.

Edited by JeffSjo

By the late 70's, many corps had MOVED FORWARD.......families, careers, advancements, military assignments, and yet wierwille REMAINED STATIC in his resolve. There was NO room for dynamic change.......NO desire to alter the status quo......and NO consideration for change. Wierwille needed INSTRUCTORS....not leaders.

Borrowing heavily from the mindset - TWI could not grow any larger than its founder - because he couldn't get his mind wrapped around the idea that it could be bigger than him.

But then again that could be a "God thing" designed to bring the whole thing to a screeching merciful halt since most of the people involved at the top had lost their ability to think critically.

Thanks........the archives contain lots of good discussion towards this summation.

When I went into the corps program after two years of WOW service, I was highly anticipating this much-heralded spiritual training for those who wanted to serve God. Yeah, "For those who want to be their best for His Highest" was the clarion call reverberating at the time. My expectations were high!

The first two months of corps training were filled with.......Dale Carnegie principles and salesmanship, PFAL rehash teachings and discussion groups, memory peg concepts, learning all the names of corps, 4-hour work details, dorm room regulations, branch responsibilities and daily twig roll call. Three days a week, we were to be in our seats by 5:20 am.....ten minutes ahead of the teaching start time of 5:30 am. Some evenings, the 7:30 pm teaching was NOT the last meeting of the day. Meetings followed meetings.......and the droning went on and on.

By the end of those two months, I had succombed to a mind frame of regimentation...... for indeed, wierwille was stressing discipline to "walk by the spirit." This lockstep mentality was the standing m.o. ......reinforced by videos of Patton and MacArthur with suggested reading. The message was clear: follow orders and jump when wierwille says "jump." The corps program was, supposedly a facsimile of a "spiritual" marine corps.

In this intense environment, soon following the chain of command, following orders, eclipsed the twi-propaganda wherein it was "for His Highest." I sometimes refer to this indoctrination as "information-overload"........they had us on our heels and were barking more and more orders. Of course, the question is always asked....."Well, why did you stay?" Simply put..... in the middle of a stream, one doesn't jump horses. I really thought that, once graduated....this "discipline" would open my understanding to more spiritual insight. Little did I realize at this youthful moment........that wierwille had NO intentions of letting the corps go "serve His Highest." On the contrary, wierwille was striving to build an elitist force that snapped a salute at his command.

The Slow March to Corps Conformity......built an SS force......which later became, The Slow March to Cult Conformity.

This "march" led us AWAY from God and AWAY from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

This "march" led us AWAY from the simple truths and AWAY from the manifestations.

I am glad you are here. My intimate knowledge of the Way Corp experience is very limited. I was at HQ once and attended a Way Corp "night", I think it was called. And it was really a great experience for me, I felt it was very laid back and relaxed, compared to what I was involved in at the time, but otherwise I have no real knowledge of the inner workings...

Borrowing heavily from the mindset - TWI could not grow any larger than its founder - because he couldn't get his mind wrapped around the idea that it could be bigger than him.

But then again that could be a "God thing" designed to bring the whole thing to a screeching merciful halt since most of the people involved at the top had lost their ability to think critically.

Yeah.......and the "founder" was a lazy, plagiarist with a paper-mill doctorate.

:doh:

Bravo! We were lucky to not flatline spiritually and end up in a coma like state of "mind" forever. Keep writing

this is very clear to understand for people not ever involved in twi ,and should be on the History channel to remind

society of .....

I like what you say about he couldn't get his mind wrapped around the idea that it could be bigger than him. That is thought provoking to me..

s go "serve His Highest." On the contrary, wierwille was striving to build an elitist force that snapped a salute at his command.

This was brilliantly spoken skyrider. I want to add that even today, decades later, I know so many that are still struggling to apply these doctrines and principles that led us away from the simplicity of knowing God and the walk of a genuine Christian. :(

I`ll also add that this march to conformity was designed to bleed every last ounce of individuality from us. Any gift that we had or strong suit unless it was along lines of your current leaders interests, was branded as time steelers and distractions from God.

We were all forced into a cookie cutter mold.

Skyrider, that is an EXCELLENT summation of way corps training and its impact!!

I, too, came in with high hopes and got caught up in the regimentation. I knew the military was regimented, and it produced leaders of the highest caliber. I thought that's what we were working toward.

But you are absolutely right that they didn't want leaders, they wanted followers... nothing more.

The summer before 'graduation' a group of HQ corps were sent to Gunnison to work the family ranch camps. We hitch-hiked there and hitch-hiked back. On the way back, my traveling partner and I had a series of things happen that most would call 'miracles'. When we got back to HQ and told our story, our fellow corps were just as thrilled and humbled as we had been, but the leadership... well, frankly, they were ....ed off. The whole campus was in preparation mode for corps week and roa, and who were we to come in and sidetrack things? Seriously, that is exactly how we were treated!!

A month later, when we arrived at our assigned location we were given instructions by our state coordinator that basically hobbled us hand and foot. We were actually discouraged from getting too close to our people, from building too much excitement or from becoming too innovative in our approach. We were told to follow orders to the letter. Period. (Of course, if something went wrong then we were completely at fault for not being innovative or for not getting our people more involved.)

I knew then that it didn't feel right, and I knew then that I wasn't happy. But I also knew that I wanted with all my heart to try to make it right, and I really wanted to trust the leadership, so I kept at it. It took me another 10 years to figure out that the leadership simply weren't trustworthy and never would be. What a sad waste.

I knew then that it didn't feel right, and I knew then that I wasn't happy. But I also knew that I wanted with all my heart to try to make it right, and I really wanted to trust the leadership, so I kept at it. It took me another 10 years to figure out that the leadership simply weren't trustworthy and never would be. What a sad waste.

That was beautifully put Highway, That is precisely why so many of us stayed even in the face of outrageous abuse. We wanted so badly to believe that these were the Godly people that they presented themselves to be, and that they were there to help us be our best for God. This is why and when people rub our noses in it and say well it couldn`t have been so bad, look how long YOU stayed....I want to copy and paste this.

Skyrider, that is an EXCELLENT summation of way corps training and its impact!!

I, too, came in with high hopes and got caught up in the regimentation. I knew the military was regimented, and it produced leaders of the highest caliber. I thought that's what we were working toward.

But you are absolutely right that they didn't want leaders, they wanted followers... nothing more.

The summer before 'graduation' a group of HQ corps were sent to Gunnison to work the family ranch camps. We hitch-hiked there and hitch-hiked back. On the way back, my traveling partner and I had a series of things happen that most would call 'miracles'. When we got back to HQ and told our story, our fellow corps were just as thrilled and humbled as we had been, but the leadership... well, frankly, they were ....ed off. The whole campus was in preparation mode for corps week and roa, and who were we to come in and sidetrack things? Seriously, that is exactly how we were treated!!

A month later, when we arrived at our assigned location we were given instructions by our state coordinator that basically hobbled us hand and foot. We were actually discouraged from getting too close to our people, from building too much excitement or from becoming too innovative in our approach. We were told to follow orders to the letter. Period. (Of course, if something went wrong then we were completely at fault for not being innovative or for not getting our people more involved.)

TheHighWay........EXACTLY!

Sadly, so many of us corps can relate........what a pathetic waste of time, money and potential.

Imo.........there were TWO parallel realities in my corps experience: 1) My intense desire to love and serve the Lord and walk in the steps of Jesus Christ and 2) Heeding the teachings and principles of the corps program which, deceitfully, twisted scripture, suppressed individuality, and was laced with wierwille-idolatry. At times, when I walked in God's power, I witnessed miracles and healings.......sometimes, special little "God-moments" just for me. But mostly, the regimentation and heavy-handed leadership blanketed the program in control and oppression.

But, succinctly........I think that the gospel teaching on "wheat and tares" says it all.

Having grown up in the rural midwest.......wheat fields were part of my childhood. By early May, the lush green wheat fields were quickly maturing toward those "amber waves of grain." Sometimes, poor farming or weather conditions left wheat fields in a sparse reality wherein weeds grew in the gullys, or lowlands after ponds evaporated. Weeds were the outcropping of poor farming methods or drastic weather changes. When winter wheat was planted in the Fall (September) and went into its dormant stage through the winter.........by Spring, it was lush and full, leaving no opportunity for weeds to grow and overtake the wheat.

While some refer to "Leaving Egypt with the gold".......... :rolleyes:

I tend to think that......as long as I faithfully plant my "wheat fields," my harvest will be plentiful.

:)