GreaseSpot Cafe

Obama Spider Man

cheranne

Today, Marvel Comics will release Amazing Spider-Man #583, which spins a story in which the imaginary action hero thwarts a plot to disrupt Obama's inauguration.

A limited number of Spider-Man comics with Obama on the cover, with a retail price of $3.99, are for sale for between $25 and $50 on eBay. Some local retailers say they'll sell the book at eBay levels, and donate proceeds over the retail price to charity.

Dennis Barger, co-owner of Wonderworld Comics in Taylor, says he expects the demand to be huge. "There hasn't been any excitement like this in comics since they killed Superman" in 1992, says Barger.

The Obama/Spider-Man union has thrilled local comic book aficionados and collectors of all things Obama, who is a comic book fan himself.

"It's going to be a precious piece of my collection," says Scott Maiale, 25, of Allen Park, a Wonderworld regular who's showing up a few hours before the store's 11 a.m. opening today.

Maiale has collected Spider-Man comics since he was 13, even through two military deployments to Iraq in 2003 and 2005. Last year, Maiale campaigned and voted for Obama.

Steve Perri, 28, of Taylor didn't vote for Obama, but he still plans to camp outside of Wonderworld early.

" ...The significance of the comic outweighs whoever I voted for," says Perri, an investment adviser who has about 1,600 Spider-Man comics. "To have Spider-Man have such a pinnacle moment as meeting the president -- it's history."

In the comic, Spider-Man's alter ego, newspaper photographer Peter Parker, is assigned to cover the inauguration. While he's shooting photos, he spots an imposter Obama and swings into action as Spider-Man. And of course there's a "fist bump" between Spidey and the soon-to-be president -- the most powerful man in the free world.

At Wonderworld Comics, Barger is offering a variety of deals.

Buy a store gift certificate for $100, for example, and get the Obama Spider-Man issue for free. Barger is donating some proceeds to the Hero Initiative, which helps undercompensated -- and aged -- comic book artists and writers.

Barger has already put in an order for the second printing, which should arrive at his store next week. But second printings aren't as valuable as first editions.

Green Brain Comics in Dearborn will sell the issue on a first-come, first-served basis.

The store is donating money from the sales to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, a nonprofit that defends First Amendment rights for retailers, writers and readers.

"We've been getting tons of calls," said Katie Merritt, Green Brain's co-owner. "But we're only getting a few with the Obama cover."

ummm Dove, GSG's post was from the Onion. The stories in the Onion are made up, as in not true. They ARE funny, I will give George that, but they are not true stories and never have been. Not that this fact will change your disgust at the mere mention of the President.

Dude, your deep seated anger at Obama is gonna make for a long 4 years (or 8) for you. I wish you well in managing it. You have me concerned for your well being. Breathe man, it helps.

~HAP

ummm Dove, GSG's post was from the Onion. The stories in the Onion are made up, as in not true. They ARE funny, I will give George that, but they are not true stories and never have been. Not that this fact will change your disgust at the mere mention of the President.

Dude, your deep seated anger at Obama is gonna make for a long 4 years (or 8) for you. I wish you well in managing it. You have me concerned for your well being. Breathe man, it helps.

~HAP

My post was in reference to the first one not GSG's I have no deep seated anger ,I just think that our state in this country demands leadership and well researched plans of which I have not seen as of yet. So far it has been the liberal wish list in action. Gee I thought we elected a president not a comic book hero.

P.S. Thanks for your concern but rest assured that I'm enjoying every breath, with Obama-man in office I realize it just might be my last.

Edited by WhiteDove

Why would we need a comic book?
Marvel can't print comic books? Who says we need a comic book? I like Spider-Man. Marvel is in business to sell comic books, and apparently they are doing that.
Our economy is in shambles and our leader is concerned about some fantasy book .
Where does it say that Obama is concerned about some "fantasy book"?
How prophetic this is of the next four years ,a comic book ,and the joke is on us.....more appropriatly the joke is in charge of us
Hmmmm...don't quite see the connection :blink:

Great post. The comic sounds way out of my price range, maybe on the second, third, or fourth reprint, I can get one. I read the onion article, Obama sounds like my kind of communicator. Anyone who realizes that the battle of good verses evil is an ongoing struggle for balance, is my kind of people. We geeks, are truly the salt of the earth, a lifestyle choice. Embrace our geek-ness, for time stands still for no man, join us, or face us in mortal combat ripe with obscure terminology and references to sub-cultural media events based in print and syndicated television programs. You have been warned.

Marvel can't print comic books? Who says we need a comic book? I like Spider-Man. Marvel is in business to sell comic books, and apparently they are doing that.

Where does it say that Obama is concerned about some "fantasy book"?

Hmmmm...don't quite see the connection :blink:

Oakspear, there is an acronym that is relevant in this situation:

YHBT

In other words, You Have Been Trolled. WhiteDove is just trying to p*ss on any post concerning anything to do with Obama. Of course she is being ridiculous, and I'm sure she knows it. I also know she's not generally a troll, but is acting like one now. The best course of action is to just ignore posts like that, and maybe she will stop making ridiculous posts like that.

Of course they can but it is doubtful we need our president looking like some kind of comic book character. but i guess that is part of the change program to bring less dignity to the office.

Edited by WhiteDove

YHBT

In other words, You Have Been Trolled. WhiteDove is just trying to p*ss on any post concerning anything to do with Obama. Of course she is being ridiculous, and I'm sure she knows it. I also know she's not generally a troll, but is acting like one now. The best course of action is to just ignore posts like that, and maybe she will stop making ridiculous posts like that.

Sounds like the "a cube has six sides" argument has gone on, Mister P-Mosh, I concur with you.

Someone please troll me. I promise to encourage you and if you don't mind, please encourage my ramblings in return. Thats the American Way. Marvel Comics does print quality reading material and this recent publication with our new president, Barak Obama, is proof of that.

YHBT

Actually I was expressing my opinion of our pesident as a comic book character. I know we are making a change to a new low in the presidential office, I just thought the man might have some dignity.

Speaking of new lows

The first 14 days.......

Two oops three cabinet member nominees under scrutiny for tax evasion

Kenedy and Richardson withdraw their names

5 major newspapers today call for withdrawal of Daschle

Latest gallop poll 38% of the people approve of the stimulus plan

10% of the people actually think it will do any good at creating jobs.

What a record of change......

EDIT FOR LATE BREAKING EDITION

Obama's Choice for Chief Performance Officer Withdraws Name

Nancy Killefer, the management consultant and former Treasury official who had been picked by President Obama to serve as the country's chief performance officer, has withdrawn from consideration for the post, White House officials confirmed this morning.

In a two-paragraph resignation letter, Killefer indicated that controversy over failure to pay taxes by two other high-profile nominees of Obama's had convinced her to decline the new president's request to join his administration. Killefer had a tax lien placed on her house by the D.C. government in 2005 because she had not paid unemployment taxes for her household help.

This cabinet just keeps getting better every moment.....what confidence they instill. yep thats change you can believe in.

Edit for more breaking news

Daschle makes a dash...... has withdrawn from consideration for the post in Obamas cabinet

Well another one of Obamas tax evader friends bites the dust that's two in one day

Anybody wonder why one person happens to know so many terrorists,race haters,and tax evaders or do you really think he just met them all at a party?

Edited by WhiteDove

Right now you can buy it at Borders books for 3.95 ,I just think it is cool to collect.

I probably will do that, Waterloo has a borders. But I am buying at least 8 copies to go along with my 8 copies of "The Death of Superman", I am thinking that in another decade or two they might be worth double what I paid for them.

Actually I was expressing my opinion of our pesident as a comic book character. I know we are making a change to a new low in the presidential office, I just thought the man might have some dignity.

Speaking of new lows

I have a pretty good salsa recipe, here it is from memory so there may be some things slightly off:

Ingredients:

8oz (about 4) of fresh tomatillo tomatoes

3 garlic cloves (I think they are called cloves, the little things you break off of garlic)

2 canned chipotle en adobo peppers (two peppers, not two cans)

salt

1/4 cup water

1) Cut the tomatillos in half and roast them and the garlic on a non-stick skillet, about four minutes then flip them over for about four more minutes on medium high heat.

2) Throw the roasted tomatillos and garlic into a blender, along with the two chipotle peppers and 1/4 cup of water, and blend it into a puree.

3) Put it into a container, mix in salt to taste. If it's too thick, add more water.

This is sort of my standard salsa recipe for putting on steak. It's not really designed for chips as it is more like a hot sauce than a chunky pico de gallo type salsa. It is spicy, but really delicious and has a great tangy, smoky flavor.

I probably will do that, Waterloo has a borders. But I am buying at least 8 copies to go along with my 8 copies of "The Death of Superman", I am thinking that in another decade or two they might be worth double what I paid for them.

May I suggest when you do, a double death set would be a sure collectors item. The death of Superman and 12/3/09 the death of Obama-man's cabinet and stimulus bill together in one set.

Edited by WhiteDove

I have a pretty good salsa recipe, here it is from memory so there may be some things slightly off:

Ingredients:

8oz (about 4) of fresh tomatillo tomatoes

3 garlic cloves (I think they are called cloves, the little things you break off of garlic)

2 canned chipotle en adobo peppers (two peppers, not two cans)

salt

1/4 cup water

1) Cut the tomatillos in half and roast them and the garlic on a non-stick skillet, about four minutes then flip them over for about four more minutes on medium high heat.

2) Throw the roasted tomatillos and garlic into a blender, along with the two chipotle peppers and 1/4 cup of water, and blend it into a puree.

3) Put it into a container, mix in salt to taste. If it's too thick, add more water.

This is sort of my standard salsa recipe for putting on steak. It's not really designed for chips as it is more like a hot sauce than a chunky pico de gallo type salsa. It is spicy, but really delicious and has a great tangy, smoky flavor.

Now we are talking...chipotles, yummy, and roasted tomatillos, I am there... I may in turn in the future put up a real Jamaican "jerk" recipe, for pork, chicken...an oh so, taste o the islands....

May I suggest when you do, a double death set would be a sure collectors item. The death of Superman and 12/3/09 the death of Obama-man's cabinet and stimulus bill together in one set.

If I am hearing you right, this would be a death and crash and burn set...

is part of the change program to bring less dignity to the office.

Its not like this is the first time that this has ever happened...

Many presidents have made their way into the comics, its at the discretion of the writers not the president.

44423582.jpg

44423486.jpg

44424506.jpg

44423417.jpg

Edited by mstar1

Yes, thanks Mstar, for the work involved. Some great finds, the one that surprised me most was the one with Pres. Kennedy. regards, michael

I remember that Kennedy story. Assuming one could suspend one's believe enough to think that JFK could mimic anyone's voice other than those of his brothers :rolleyes: , you just have to love Superman's last line!

An interesting sidebar. About fifteen years later, there was a SuperBOY story featuring JFK, becuae in "real" time, we were in the Carter (or Ford?) administration.

George