GreaseSpot Cafe

Restoration of a Pastor who engages in adultery

Absolutely Dot. I agree totally. We are not responsible for another persons inability to love, or rationalization for bad treatment, or bad behavior, low character and lack of morality, mental illness and refusal to seek healing...alcoholism etc. We can love them, pray for them, do all in our power to help them....but I do not believe for an instant that God requires us to stay with unkind, dangerous, or abusive people. I also believe that divorce is necessary, I think that adultery is cowardly, sneaky and dishonest.

I tell my teens and now adult children to take their time and choose their life`s partner wisely.

Edited by rascal

There is no greater office or position then a brother or sister.

Those that do hold 'office' are special, but not in charge of anyone.

And that office can be cut off, though still a brother.

Cut off from hearing, seeing, feeling the one Holy Spirit.

Sometimes people will see it, if they are looking.

Ethical and moral laws that are a part of us, can deal with it.

If out of control then the law of the land should be able to take it on.

With David who was the law of the land,

he faced his God honestly.

'take not thy Holy Spirit from me'

Pleading to be able to still see straight.

Cause it can be stopped.

David knew what his office was.

VPW did not.

Trying to compare marriage in the 1st century to marriage in the 21st century is ludicrous at best.

Christianity changes WS? What the Lord Jesus stated in the first century still holds true today. The Lord put the standard so high so that people wouldn't just dump their spouses for frivolous reasons, like a cuter skirt.

I agree with you also Rascal. Those who only want to lay the blame at other people's feet and not look at their own part in it....oh well. They need the counseling IMO.

Absolutely Dot. I agree totally. We are not responsible for another persons inability to love, or rationalization for bad treatment, or bad behavior, low character and lack of morality, mental illness and refusal to seek healing...alcoholism etc. We can love them, pray for them, do all in our power to help them....but I do not believe for an instant that God requires us to stay with unkind, dangerous, or abusive people. I also believe that divorce is necessary, I think that adultery is cowardly, sneaky and dishonest.

I tell my teens and now adult children to take their time and choose their life`s partner wisely.

Abuse is not love...and therefore....hasn't the vows already been broken? Yes, they have. As I said before, the Lord Jesus placed the bar so high so that people wouldn't just jump in and out of marriage, like the Pharisees and Saduccees were doing.

Thanks Bride, I agree, get counceling, get better, but don`t expect to return to office. When we excuse this stuff as understandable, even acceptable because the spouse was such a bitch or whatever ...we are opening the door to any behavior is alright as long as we have sufficient provocation....Christians, those claiming to be anyway, should be willing to live as *of the spirit* instead of making excuses and casting blame every time they do not...otherwise it is just a pretty sounding lable we wear.

Christianity changes WS? What the Lord Jesus stated in the first century still holds true today. The Lord put the standard so high so that people wouldn't just dump their spouses for frivolous reasons, like a cuter skirt.

I never said "Christianity changes", although, I believe that what we perceive to be "Christianity" certainly does change with passing time. Likewise, what we perceive to be the defining elements of a marriage may be miles away from the perceptions people held 2,000 years ago. One of the most obvious differences is the practice of arranged marriages. Marrying for love would surely have seemed quite foreign to people thousands of years ago when people entered marriage primarily as a business arrangement. This is why I said I think it is ludicrous to try to forcibly extract parallels that don't exist.

I see what you are saying Waysider. So much of what is scriptural is sometimes simply judean cultural of 2000 plus years ago. Things change along with our spirituality and understanding. Women cut their hair, own property are educated, allowed into the church service, allowed a voice in public matters, allowed to decide their marriage and careers....all things forbidden to them scripture wise.

There is therefor now no more jew nor gentile bond nor free, male nor female...we are all one in Christ...I`d say that changes the dynamics of marriage significantly. I`d say that in just the last hundred years the dynamics of marriage have changed significantly and for the better.

We see what life is like in the countries who insist on conducting their affairs according to the unchanging standards of their religion as dictated 1000s of years previously.

Edited by rascal