GreaseSpot Cafe

Submission---Who has to do it?

I was listening to a teaching on marriage and wives today and the guy was pretty accurate - and said that wives do not always have to agree with their husbands - which shocked me. I was taught that I was to line up my thinking with that of my husband so that I was always without exception, completely likeminded with him. I was told that was the reason our son didn't always obey; he saw me not being sufficiently likeminded with my spouse and consequently thought being rebellious and defiant was okay.

I was never rebellious and defiant, nor did we have any discussions or disagreements within his earshot.

What BS.

WG

That's how control freaks do it!

"This is how we do it....nahhhh!" (no tunes available for GS)

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always found it very interesting that the women in TWI who expounded on the grovelling submission of their sisters were the selfsame females who ruled their husband with an iron fist in a velvet glove. The individual who hammered me as I mentioned in my last post was not very submissive; she could act like it, but every so often a little glimpse into a private moment told the rest of the story.

Of course, she was more than willing to turn me into a grovelling idiot. But that was TWI-doctrine. Remember that book "The Total Woman" TWI promoted in the late 70's early 80's how to manipulate with sex and never be straightforward and tell the truth?

My husband told me early on if all he wanted to hear was his own opinion parroted back at him, he would have gotten himself a good tape recorder. He asked me what I think because he wants to know, and he is smart enough himself to realize the "intelligent woman" is NOT an oxymoron!

WG

I always found it very interesting that the women in TWI who expounded on the grovelling submission of their sisters were the selfsame females who ruled their husband with an iron fist in a velvet glove. The individual who hammered me as I mentioned in my last post was not very submissive; she could act like it, but every so often a little glimpse into a private moment told the rest of the story.

. . .

I remember when dating at HQ the young women encouraged the men/boys to be controlling. Marriage, like the Corps and having children, is for improving one's status. The girls wanted the most lcm-like men/boys to make themselves look good. Laid-back guys would arrive at HQ, only to be deemed a "fixer-upper" by the committee of single girls; "We can make him walk on water and do the thinking for us."

this plan eventually backfires of course.

when I was dating Mrs B she had me walk in front of her so I could lead her as she showed me around HQ. I had no idea where I was going! :biglaugh: I had to "rise up" and dominate or some bull$$h!t. Men have a special connection with god ya know.

we laugh about it now. :biglaugh:

When we were first married, I used to trail along behind Mr. Garden, not out of submissiveness, but because I was looking around, especially in department stores and malls, etc., until one day I followed him right into the men's room! After that, I paid more attention!

WG

Yeah WG... I did that ONCE....LOL

When it comes to making sure you're entering into the right door....the FIRST TWO LETTERS ARE VAAARRRYYYY IMPORTANT!

Oh, well...I was 3/5ths correct....... :biglaugh:

The equipment on the walls were a dead give away though.

It is a shame that the Word of our Precious Lord has been so misunderstood that even the small things such as recognizing that the epistles in the NT were written to specific churches with their specific problems and they are not always to be taken as universal commandments. I know that this will not go over very well with any Fundy's, and believe me, I am very conservative in my doctrinal beliefs, but this is why these letters are called

INCIDENTAL LETTERS, i.e. they were prompted by specific INCIDENTS.

. . .

It is a shame that the Word of our Precious Lord has been so misunderstood that even the small things such as recognizing that the epistles in the NT were written to specific churches with their specific problems and they are not always to be taken as universal commandments. I know that this will not go over very well with any Fundy's, and believe me, I am very conservative in my doctrinal beliefs, but this is why these letters are called

INCIDENTAL LETTERS, i.e. they were prompted by specific INCIDENTS.

That'd be an interesting topic if you would. Why read them if they're for people 2000 years ago? or at least, why is the bible a "holy book" that hasn't been added to for the past 1900 years?

That'd be an interesting topic if you would. Why read them if they're for people 2000 years ago? or at least, why is the bible a "holy book" that hasn't been added to for the past 1900 years?

Why read them? Hmmm.... Because they do contain UNIVERSAL TRUTHS. But the portions that are for the specific churches should be noted in your study of them. It doesn't mean that you cannot learn from the other church's problems, but to realize that perhaps they do not apply to you. For example, 1 Corinthians 11 and the issue of the veils. Outside of the RC orthodoxy that may perhaps still utilize veils...what church really uses veils today? Just one example. Can we learn from this? Oh yeah. In other words...if your church practices a particular thing...if you wish to belong...you will have to adopt that practice.

right sure you could learn from it I guess.

a universal truth would imply that one not need read the bible, ever. these universal truths should be found elsewhere also? they would be the heart of the matter? a more modern writing that wouldn't need to be "decoded" (interpreted in light of the times etc etc)? wouldn't that simplify things and avoid confusion such as in the topic of this thread?

shouldn't there be writings about today's churches' problems?

the bible is more of a set of historical documents then? one would view the bible in the same way one studies history in general?

right sure you could learn from it I guess.

a universal truth would imply that one not need read the bible, ever. these universal truths should be found elsewhere also? they would be the heart of the matter? a more modern writing that wouldn't need to be "decoded" (interpreted in light of the times etc etc)? wouldn't that simplify things and avoid confusion such as in the topic of this thread?

shouldn't there be writings about today's churches' problems?

the bible is more of a set of historical documents then? one would view the bible in the same way one studies history in general?

Well, I will still read my Bible to be sure. Universal truths insofar as the One True God has written for His followers to follow, i.e. "Wherefore put away lying and speak truth with your neighbor."

There should be modern day writings and there probably are...but they will never be canonized, simply so that the modern day problems do not overshadow the originals of the Apostolic writings. I believe for sure that the Word of God is still being written, especially in your own life (if you are a born again, Holy Spirit filled Christian).

Yes, they would be historical documents, but they were penned by the Holy Spirit, so they rate an AAA+++ in the Christian's life. So they would take more of a prominent place than just regular history. :rolleyes:

This is a doctrinal forum. It is NOT a place to "out" a fellow poster. That is common courtesy to let other posters feel safe in posting details that won't be sent out to the world to see.

Cynic, you know better!!

Edited by pawtucket

This is a doctrinal forum. It is NOT a place to "out" a fellow poster. That is common courtesy to let other posters feel safe in posting details that won't be sent out to the world to see.

Cynic, you know better!! That is an attack!

Edited by pawtucket