GreaseSpot Cafe

Anyone have a map?

Dot Matrix

I need to find a place between Lttle Rock AR and Atl Georgia to meet some people. Both driving half way. I do not have a map. And online they want me to buy one.

Anyone good at this and can give me some half way places? I thought Chattanooga was but it is good for me and way further for them.

Thank you

Not to rain on anyone's parade but the last time I passed through Tupelo (admittedly quite some time ago) it didn't even rate as a one horse town. Kinda like if you were looking for an upscale place to stay there you might have to settle for Motel 6...Birmingham would actually rate as OK though.

Edited by RumRunner

Birmingham's almost twice as far from Little Rock as it is from Atlanta. Unless you want to stay in a little town, Tupelo's the closest to halfway (250 miles from Atlanta and 205 miles from Little Rock).

Here's a link to some hotels in Tupelo:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=T...mp;aq=f&oq=

You really shouldn't drive where you aren't familiar without a map, young lady! :) If you don't want to buy one, go to mapquest or google maps and print out the directions. Have fun!

My impression of Tupelo is pretty much what Rummy said. Of course, it's been years since I was there last.

Birmingham is alright I guess. I remember a couple of nice restaurants there - and hey, there's the "Sloss Furnace", such entertainment!

Or if you're looking for real excitement, maybe head a little further east and avail yourself of the world-famous radar traps of Pell City/Riverside. Talk about fun!

Dot, are y'all planning a vacation or just some place to meet for some other reason?

Mississippi is a sleepy little place where the favorite past time is college sports, sitting on the porch drinking sweet tea, bbq and blues. If you are actually looking for exciting things to do then one of you will need to drive further.

There are *some* things to do in Tupelo besides just visiting Elvis's birthplace, but it's no NYC.

:biglaugh: @Bow!

Yeah, ex, they have a map, but the directions might be cryptic for them thar big city folk:

Turn right at Mary Lou's grandma's house and follow it to the horse tied to the gumball tree, then turn left.

Go past where Bubba's garage used to be and turn right after ya get to the creek. Follow that to Billy Ray & Bobby Sue's.....

:biglaugh: @Bow!

Yeah, ex, they have a map, but the directions might be cryptic for them thar big city folk:

Turn right at Mary Lou's grandma's house and follow it to the horse tied to the gumball tree, then turn left.

Go past where Bubba's garage used to be and turn right after ya get to the creek. Follow that to Billy Ray & Bobby Sue's.....

Whatever were you thinking Belle? That's a live oak not a gumball tree.

I was in Tupelo twice in the last few years. Granted there isnt all that much there --strip malls mostly, Elvis birthplace and a little museum of his stuff, his peronal chapel and "a historic downtown" thats about a block or two long, including the Hardware Store where Mrs Presley bought her young son a guitar for his birthday when he was about 8.

I didnt find any upscale restaurants there, but I liked my short stay. The people were very friendly and it was CHEAP.

I stayed in the King Suite with a jacuzzi and stocked(I forget the name of the hotel, but it was brand new) for $53/night. There was some Italian restaurant next door that wasnt all that bad and very reasonable.

Not being a southerner I was intrigued by the culture shift. Its really not unlike a hundred other southern towns but to me it has its quirky charms and i found it a little endearing in a strange sort of way

I went home with a case of "Tupelo Honey"

Im pretty sure Belle could tell you about Columbus MS, which i also liked. It was a "hospital city" during the Civil War so was one of the few southern cities that wasnt burned to the ground. The town is loaded with antebellum homes and some marvelous period architecture from the 'old south' It is also the birthplace of Memorial Day. Thats also about halfway according to my map.

, I ate at a place called Harveys while I was there which was very good

Tuscaloosa is another place near midway that maybe someone else can tell yyou about. All I remember is that it is a college town with college town type things and a gigantic football stadium in the center of town that was in the movie Forrest Gump

I think Bear Bryant is a near God in Tuscaloosa if I am thinking of the right place. every other thing is named after him

Edited by mstar1

I forgot you were in Atlanta.. :doh:

Im going to be there this afternoon for a few days ifyou'd like to get together. I have plenty of maps with me that you can check out.

I'll pm you my phone#

If anyone else wants to get together PM me