GreaseSpot Cafe

Easy Movie Quotes

Well, I thought this might be a long shot, although I wasn't sure if there weren't some classic film lovers that might

on an outside chance know it, but it is from the 1930's.

I've been watching a lot of older films lately and so I may have come up with it.

That kind of sounds like It's A Wonderful Life.

Edited by Human without the bean

No, not "It's a Wonderful Life." This movie was actually about a decade earlier. I remember watching it many years ago, during a baseball strike, when TBS showed movies in lieu of Braves' games. If no one gets it by the end of the day, I'll give the answer.

George

"What makes a king out of a slave? Courage! What makes the flag on the mast to wave? Courage! What makes the elephant charge his tusk in the misty mist, or the dusky dusk? What makes the muskrat guard his musk? Courage! What makes the sphinx the seventh wonder? Courage! What makes the dawn come up like thunder? Courage! What makes the Hottentot so hot? What puts the "ape" in apricot? What have they got that I ain't got?"

"Courage!"

"You can say that again."

I'm pretty sure that's the Cowardly Lion's speech in "The Wizard of Oz," but I'll wait for acknowledgment.

For those of you who haven't seen "It Happened One Night," Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert are broken down on the side of a road and need to hitchhike. Gable gives a speech about all the various thumb techniques for hitchhiking but fails to attract a ride. Colbert hikes up her skirt and sticks her leg out, bringing the first car to come by to a screeching halt. Vive la difference!

George

Of course, we can't use MY knowledge of movies as the standard, but I think we've strayed a bit from the purpose of this thread. For instance, Human's quote from Die Hard, while recognizable to bfh (and one that I remember from the movie -- after it's been pointed out), is probably not the most recognizable line. I would suggest that "Yippie-kai-yay, mother------" would probably give it away even to someone who hasn't seen the movie.

In the case of the current clue, either it's a fairly little-seen movie, or the choice of quote is not great. Remember that we have "Name that Flick," where it's fine to be subtle, at least for a while. I guess a problem that I didn't really consider when I started this thread was that there are really only about a couple dozen movies that would be instantly recognizable to most people with a single quote or short dialogue. And we've seen them all. :) We obviously don't want to go over the same movies, time and again, so what to do? Let me give a couple of simple ideas:

Pick a movie that did well at the box office. Even if it won Academy Awards, but no one saw it, like "My Left Foot," don't use it.

The older the movie, the better-known it has to be. Unless it's something like "The Wizard of Oz" or "Gone with the Wind," there had better be at least one REALLY famous line from it.

A longer quote may be a little better than a short one, unless the short one is VERY recognizable.

Carry on.

George

Or unless the quote gives away the movie: my Jaws 2 quote was not recognizable, but if you look at it, it could only really fit a Jaws sequel. Likewise the cowardly lion bit.

Or unless the quote gives away the movie: my Jaws 2 quote was not recognizable, but if you look at it, it could only really fit a Jaws sequel. Likewise the cowardly lion bit.

Yes. Flicks DEDUCED from just one line are OK. Back to bfh's clues:

X - "Has anyone ever buried a person up there?"

Y - "Christ on his throne no. Who ever would?"

"Dead is better."

George

That's what I'm talking about.

"Risky Business"

"It has been established that persons who have recently died have been returning to life and committing acts of murder. A widespread investigation of funeral homes, morgues, and hospitals has concluded that the unburied dead have been returning to life and seeking human victims. It's hard for us here to be reporting this to you, but it does seem to be a fact."

George

Night of the Living Dead

New One:

Tell Victor that Ramon - -the fella he met about a week ago? - -tell him that Ramon went to the clinic today, and I found out that I have, um, herpes simplex 10, and I think Victor should go check himself out with his physician to make sure everything is fine before things start falling off the man.

No. It was "Fantastic Four II: Rise of the Silver Surfer." It did well at the box office, but it was no smash. The memorable part of this is that Stan Lee does a cameo in almost all of the Marvel superhero movies. In this one, he played himself, trying to attend the wedding of Reed Richards and Sue Storm, but the guy checking names refuses to believe him. :)

FREE POST

George

• modcat5 changed the title to Easy Movie Quotes