GreaseSpot Cafe

The Ribbon of Fear

waysider

The Corps at my class discouraged note taking.. but that was just at my class.. The ones I ran later with different people we did not discourage it but I remember it was always recommended you just listen so as not to miss anything... being a tactile person I actually retain stuff better if I hand write it. typing does not seem to have the same impact as hand writting for me.... i am not sure why but there it is.

• Upvote 1

So anyhow, My point was that there is an element of fear that is woven into the very fabric of the PFAL series that plays a very integral role in the structure of the TWI belief system. There is an ever present fear that you may be inviting devil spirits by not properly renewing your mind. There is a fear that others may detect your unrenewed thinking and draw their own conclusions. It's always there. It's woven throughout the PFAL series of classes. Either you drive your mind to adopt the approved TWI mindset or you become a master of disguising your true thoughts and emotions. Either way, you lose.

• Upvote 1

. . .

It goes on and on and on, woven like a ribbon throughout all the classes.

That's the stuff that's so hard to initially untangle from your own thoughts.

Are saying the fear was subtle? You left in the early 90s?

I remember the fear being always so thick you could taste it. In fact, I believe a lot a people got a "high" off of it.

Are saying the fear was subtle? You left in the early 90s?

I remember the fear being always so thick you could taste it. In fact, I believe a lot a people got a "high" off of it.

I physically left in about 1990 but, mentally, I checked out about 10 years prior to that. I like to say I was in "coast mode" because I didn't get involved in running classes and handling logistics. I was a twigster. The last twig I was in for those years was very insulated though not really isolated. The twig leader must have known what was going on because he had been active and tight with HQ since taking PFAL in the 1950's. Still, none of us in the twig had any idea this stuff was going on.

The "ribbon of fear" I am referencing is the ribbon that is laced throughout the classes , books, tapes, and such, not so much the fear that was in the rantings and ravings and daily activities you are thinking of.

• Upvote 1

I don't know, the ranting and ravings were all the same words as you mentioned. All anyone did was quote wierwille and ramble from there. Vpw was/is the authority.

I used to listen to vpw's teachings from twi's library. He sounded like any jackass. Offended me once or twice.

Good thread "sider".

Fear was laced throughout all the classes and teachings of "der veg". That was a great "tool" which was exploited more and more over the years to keep people from leaving.

In fact in the last few years I was around we heard things like "God won't even spit in your direction unless you give beyond the tithe" and "if you forsake the household of Zion you are out in the wilderness and away from God's protection."

What a crock.

• Upvote 1

So what was the fear? You're gonna die?

Nah--That's the fear that comes as part of "The One Household/Hedge of Protection" package.

What I had in mind was more like that ever present fear that always lurked just below the surface that you might be entertaining little spiritual friends and, if you were, would anyone find out? You know, that pesky concern that you may not be renewing your mind enough or speaking in tongues enough or reading "The Word" enough or retemorizing scripture enough like all the classes say you should. I mean, how do you ever know when it's "enough"? Can it ever be "enough"?

Edited by waysider
  • Upvote 1

Nah--That's the fear that comes as part of "The One Household/Hedge of Protection" package.

What I had in mind was more like that ever present fear that always lurked just below the surface that you might be entertaining little spiritual friends and, if you were, would anyone find out? You know, that pesky concern that you may not be renewing your mind enough or speaking in tongues enough or reading "The Word" enough or retemorizing scripture enough like all the classes say you should. I mean, how do you ever know when it's "enough"? Can it ever be "enough"?

but, . . .wouldn't all that "enough" stuff be more of a pride issue? People wanting to be "the best" (for God)? A jones syndrome?

Or a "not good enough" issue? An insecurity issue?

Was vpw pitting siblings so to speak?

but, . . .wouldn't all that "enough" stuff be more of a pride issue? People wanting to be "the best" (for God)? A jones syndrome?

Was vpw pitting siblings so to speak?

I guess I'm not doing a very good job of explaining this Bolski.

It's not the fear that you'll become a grease spot.

It's not the fear that you don't measure up to your fellow believers.

It's a fear that the adversary might attack your mind because you know you're not being "all that you can be".

It's a very personal fear, independent of what others are doing.

And it's woven ever so intricately through all the PFAL series classes.

Edited by waysider
  • Upvote 1

It's a fear that the adversary might attack your mind because you know you're not being "all that you can be".

Not everyone "fell for it". So those who did would have a similar personality/low point in life?

My heart goes out to people who lived with that kind of fear. I don't remember experiencing that. My big fear was that I might not get a nap!

I think all "works" based Christianity is a "not good enough" issue and produces insecurity.

ahh, imaginary fears . . . how does one face up to non-existent beings? With imaginary weapons I suppose.

I suppose a strong basis in common sense and a good sarcastic sense of humor are a good start...