GreaseSpot Cafe

Do not order ANYTHING from SPIEGEL

Dot Matrix

Here is a report -- they did the SAME thing to me and you cannot GET your money back -- I just got off the phone with the bank and EVEN if I change my debit card they can still get my money. I have to close my checking account -- which means all checks etc. I just bought are wasted.

Those pieces of crap.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/Spiegel-And-Privilege-Pass/Credit-Card-Fraud/Spiegel-And-Privilege-Pass-Spi-DAB26.htm#dab26

• Upvote 1

If your debit card has VISA on it, you _can_ contest the charges and put a (at least a temporary) stop on them getting your money. This is ALWAYS true, whether the company is mail order, or a brick and mortar company. _Always!_

They then play arbiter where you and Spiegel can then argue your respective cases to them. They (VISA) then decide on who gets the cash. Far more often than not, it keeps ripoff companies from making off with your money.

I've done it before.

Edited by GarthP2000
  • Upvote 1

Same thing happened when my DIL entered a sweepstakes to win an iPhone. Seems she also unwittingly opted in to a text service to the tune of $9.95 a month. Unfortunately the terms weren't all that clear. I had to spend about half a day finding out who the company was so I could get the damn thing stopped.

My latest phone bill had an item attached for a monthly charge of ~$15 for "mydietonline.com." I called the phone company and had it canceled (though I did have to pay for one month). Although she swears she did no such thing, my wife apparently had "ordered" the service online. I now suspect that she "took a survey" or clicked a "discount" button with unintended consequences.

George

I signed up Fred for a gym membership at Gold's Gym, and it turned out that the agreement allowed them to take the monthly membership out of my bank account, and if I didn't formally (with their forms) cancel in a 3-week period before the end of the 12 months, the membership would automatically renew. And the gym wasn't even built when I signed up. It was amazing, and it took 8 months to cancel and included major internet publicity. It was terrible.

• Upvote 1

I have been with my major bank for 38 years .

I see on my bank statement I have a 35 service fee for a free checking account.

38 years same checking account. So I called and I was switched to premium checking acct, that had a minimum balnce requirement of 50, ooo dollars yes I said 50, 000 dollars.

I did not have that amount in when I was switched nor have I ever had that amount in this account. I went through talking to the supervisor who had to "check the telephone conversation I had with a rep".

I said yeah you do just that. A sales rep had called me and offered something over an hour on the phone and I told him I do not give out acct. # over the phone...he said he had all the inofrmation anyways he was just confirming.

I told the supervisor I have NEVER had that amount in this acct. why would I switch to an acct in which I had to pay?

they just took the money every month. It took four months to make them stop. This is the second time they did it .

38 years. they are crooks I tell ya crooks. do not assume your bank isnt messing with ya even if you have had them for decades.

oh yeah it is policy they can only give back one month service fee.. even if you never switched the acct.

how? why?