GreaseSpot Cafe

solar power?

Ham

I just successfully "harvested" one of those little made in china light your driveway thingies..

I got three things. A real working solar cell, it produces about 1.9 volts in full sunlight, a white light emitting diode and a good nickel cadnium battery.

now if I could get people to send me a few thousand of the units which inevitably will fail.. I could run all of my electronics here, except for the kitchen stove and furnace..

:biglaugh:

the problem is, these things sell for about 3.85 at the Big stores..

Grants? hmmmmmmm....

:biglaugh:

I have two very large marine batteries that will run my radios if not television, cell phone chargers, etc..for several weeks between charging. It doesn't matter where the juice comes from.. the outlet, or from a solar panel. I could do it all with two or three one hundred watt panels. Probably would work even in the middle of the winter..

but in the spirit of intelligent recycling.. I'd really like to see what I can do with what people throw away..

three or four functioning cells would be good enough to charge a cell phone battery..

I guess the magic number is .08. That's the cost per kilowatt hour that electricity has to reach before solar becomes really feasible. Until then, we're all just bumpin' our gums. Currently in my 'hood, the cost is about 5 cents/KWH, so there's still good bit of time before it will make sense to cover your roof with solar panels and start selling the juice back to the power company.

I'm waiting...

Every kwh produced via solar energy is one less kwh produced by some petroleum product.

In general, most people in this country don't seem to realize that. Many make fun of those who try to avoid burning fossil fuels thinking they are crying like Chicken Little.

I don't want to be....but part of my brain is getting sarcastic now....oil is too precious to burn for energy, or any other purpose. I wonder if Ham isn't practicing for the time when there is no oil remaining underground.

I guess the magic number is .08. That's the cost per kilowatt hour that electricity has to reach before solar becomes really feasible. Until then, we're all just bumpin' our gums. Currently in my 'hood, the cost is about 5 cents/KWH, so there's still good bit of time before it will make sense to cover your roof with solar panels and start selling the juice back to the power company.

I'm waiting...

$.05/kwh is cheap. We are at .082. Two summers ago when gas got to $4 a gallon the cost went up to $.12.

Houston I'm told is around $.18.

George, I have to trust your knowledge on this. But I can say that once that transformation has been done....no further petroleum will be burned for energy. I know that you have an understanding of the tremendous OTHER benefits of petrochemicals, and that you can understand why I am highly in favor of working on eliminating our use of them for fuel!