GreaseSpot Cafe

e-cigarettes, know anything about them?

PurpleDays

Think of it as having some of the same qualities as a hobby, exhat.

There's stuff, little gidgets and gadgets, and even certain skills you can develop. Fun stuff.

Smoking tobacco is fun too if you don't set yourself on fire or burn yourself, someone else or your stuff.

When you smoke a pack of regular 'mokes you end up with an empty pack. Use up an e-cig cartridge and you....refill it!

To buy a pack of 'gurettes you get to march down to the local Bag 'N' Gag Mart, point past the rack of Big Jugs mags and pay 7 bucks for a pack of "Boro Reds.

E-Cig's you browse the web, order at online prices and wait with eagerness for the package to arrive. It's like Christmas without the Fruit Cakes!

With ciggies you light up - matches! Got a light? Where's my lighter! I need some fire!

E-Cig's.....you press a button and enjoy a visit to the Flavor Festival with every draw. Vanilla! Cherry! Mint!

The differences are....significant.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The transition and "quitting" - I realized reading through so many people's reactions and experience, comparing with my own, that the best approach for me was try it, use it, don't sweat the difficulties, work through them and give it some time. I found what I like, what I don't like, and over time there's more of the latter than the former. Bingo.

That pretty much sums up my attitude and experience when I started - I kept on smoking my regular Camel Lights alongside vaping. I wasn't particularly "religious" about "quitting" - thought it would be good just to "cut down" but gradually I found myself preferring more and more the taste and convenience of the ecigs. The old cigs started to taste crappy by comparison. This experience seems to be quite common among vapers.

If I were the big tobacco companies (or the pharmacutical corporations pushing their unimaginative patches and gum, or the government raking in tax money)I would be worried too.

Ditto, Dan.

The journey of a 1,000 miles begins with a single step, followed by a series of wrong turns and visits to gas stations for fuel, snacks and better directions.

I'm with ya brah - celebrate the progress! :dance:

Hopefully I will have cut down on my gas station trips in the middle of the night.

Not sure of my directions - personally I think I'm way off the map :)

Thanks Socks.

• 3 weeks later...

So far so good with the vaping. I got the 510 Boge kit. I like the atomizers much better than the cartomizers. The "hit" from the cartomizer is just too strong.

I've just ordered some extra atomizers and batteries, as well as empty refill cartridges.

I've read that Eheim filer pad (used in fish tanks) is good to use for refilling the "stuffing" in the atomizers. Anyone tried this or something similar? I find that a cartridge only lasts about 3 days before the "stuffing" is so flattened it doesn't absorb much e-liquid and the vaping is less than satisfactory.

Yep, use aquarium filter material in my 4048 (think that's right - the Npro) cart's. Experiment with packing and the amount you use. I found a kind of loosely packed piece, trimmed, to work well. It's fairly cheap, a bag of the stuff will last till the next millenia. (or if you have aquariums - bada bing bada boom)

I've got the 510 too and it works in it as well, but since the cart's smaller (thinner, more slender) it takes more fiddling. Loose pack worked well for me in both cases, but no so loose it drips.

I've cleaned my cart pad material from the start and that helps to fluff the packing back out. Rinse them in hot water and a little hand soap, rinse well in hot water, squeeze out and let dry for a day.

There's a mod that the Invisible Danster hipped me to - you might check the Mod Tips 'n' Tricks section of the e-cig forum for brass screen modding to the carts. I've been trying it. I-Dan has more experience with it, if he checks in can give you some ideas I'm sure.

*** This recommendation is a very YMMV one - and experience varies - but I've been very conservative in how I clean the atty's when I do. I took my first one that went bad and took it apart. The wiring on these buggers is thin, filament size. They don't take much twisting or pressue to come loose and break connection.

Hi Purple -

The brass screen mod is well worth checking out. I've been trying out a variation which employs a single brass screen, shaped into the cone, which I fill with a very small piece of the original cart fiber filler (about a 1/4), serving as a plug for the cart filled with juice. The results have been very good so far, providing a nice, steady vape and draw, no atty flooding, very little leakage.

As Socks mentioned, there's a very informative (and long) thread in the cart mods & tips section of the ecig forum which provides pics and YouTube links to the different ways brass screens are being used.

Thanks for the info, socks and idan.

A couple of days ago opened a bottle of medicine and noticed the "fiber cotton" stuffing on the top. Added a pinch of it in the filter that fits on the atomizer and it works great. Will try this a while before getting anything from the pet store.

Worth a try, I'll try a small plug in the brass screen modded carts.

The brass screen is definitely worth the effort. It seems to solve the problem of having a consistently steady vape throughout the life of a loaded cartridge. Less sucking and more draw would describe my experience with it. The brass also seems to distribute the heat more evenly and (possibly) over a wider area. Still fiddling with them although they worked pretty close to the descriptions on e-cig forum, first try. Best wishes!

• 3 weeks later...

I came across this today and I thought you'd like to read it!

http://healthconsumernews.com/healthysmoke/

The key word in this article is at the top of the page: "Advertorial." That's publishing-speak for an advertisement that is written to appear to be a regular, unbiased article. Whenever you see that word, you have to remember what you're reading is simply an ad all spiffed up in a nice dress.

I haven't decided what I think yet. One medical journal article I read about a year ago said the chemicals used in e-cigarettes are as bad as what's in the real thing, so I'm still a bit wary. It's tempting though.

No doubt the tobacco companies hate these things--unless, of course, some of them own the companies that make the e-cigs. It would make sense. The number of smokers is declining. Why not branch out and give your customer base an alternative to make up for the lost revenue? Now, wouldn't that be a real kick in the pants?

I reckon any half-way thoughtful cig company would be into alternatives, knowing that there's now a lot of public pressure against smokers. Dunno what it's like in the USA, but you can't smoke in the UK in your place of work (even if that's only a work vehicle that only you use), not in a pub or club or any kind of enclosed public space. If you ain't got it yet in your State, it's a-coming.

So what's a self-respecting cig co going to do?

Flog its wares to third-world countries - India, Africa, Indonesia, who cares, they're too far away - not in our back yard - and out from the stoop of your nice American homestead they'll flog you a substitute.

I wonder how many cig companies also have shareholdings in pharma companies - especially those selling anti-cancer drugs.

Anyway Purple Days, all the best with your smoking reduction plan.

Ingredients do need to be known Linda, no question there.

Prohibition is on a state level Twinky, with some fedearl intervention in relation to funded program participation, although most states have some form of local or state level prohibition in place for public smoking. In actual "public", that is the free range kind of thing, it's a toss up based on who and what you're near. (IMO), public buildings, etc.

Propylene glycol and vegetable glycol are the ingredients most commonly given as "unsafe" in the e-cig liquid. Ethylene and diethelene g are also used in some of the liquids and these should be a concern. In the tiny doses used, there's a very small threat exposure - but smoking being what it is, it's a concern that should be considered.

The actual technology of the e-cig vaporization of any liquid is a minor minor concern.

The liquid - I mix my own from ingredients I buy, so I maintain as much control over it as I can. A lot of e-cig users do that, but not all for sure.

Rewind back to the 60;s abd 70's and the early healfh food marketing movement to the public - some foods like certain ice cream brands were said to be made with the same materials as anti-freeze and jet fuel. PG is the ingredient at the base of that claim then and now with e-cig's.

I did some due dligence on all the ingredients of the products I bought and that one item always spiked in the negative reporting. (not to ignore the nicotine, which is an issue in and of itself of course)

PG and VG are both used in 1,000's of things we consume and use everyday that are commcercially sold. PG in lay language maintains "wetness" - keeps wet things wet for longer periods of time. VG - I bought a bottle at my local "health food" store and use it in my own liquid bases I'm smoking. It's a very benign chemical and PG in the doses used in e-cig liquid is too.

Still - there are questions and concerns. There should be. There's research done that's available and although the bulk of the early stuff was done by one of the manufacturers, it's still information and the data can be cross referenced and validated in most cases, good or bad.

Overall however I am absolutely convinced that as an alternative to smoking this is dramatically safer than tobacco smoked directly.

"healthier" is a bad word for many things that get described as that - walking can be healthier than sitting in a car riding, but walking I can trip, fall, get hit, etc. etc. etc. Most things have a range of effects that include risk. Managing risk is what we have to do all the time.

I'm a geek so I don't mind doing this stuff. For the person who doesn't want to that has concerns that they can't resolve, they're right to avoid it pending further information. Informed decisions are always good.

What timing. Yesterday I received press releases from two different makers of e-cigs. One of them, from a U.S. company, mentioned that the first e-cigs came from China, but that they (the U.S. company) have strict controls on their ingredients, partly because the people who founded the company use their own product. That made me go hmmmm. Are the Chinese manufacturers of e-cigs as careful as this American company claims to be?

As far as the ingredients go, propylene glycol is used in all sorts of things we ingest, so I'm not too worried about that ingredient. I was just wondering what other "goodies" might be stuck in there unbeknownst to unsuspecting vapers. I especially don't know how much the Chinese gov't regulates the ingredients in these gadgets.

Given China's reputation (or at least my perception of its reputation) for not caring much about human rights (and therefore, it would logically follow, not caring much about humans), if I ever take this leap, I'd be more inclined to try one of these e-cig thingies that's American-made, rather than one coming from China.

I appreciate all the info Socks and Dan and others have contributed to this thread. I may become one of you yet!

I used to self-servingly half-joke back when I was in my twenties (and a pack-a-day smoker) that if they would only outlaw tobacco it would help me to quit.

I don't smoke anymore but I think smokers are getting picked on. When half the price of a pack of cigarettes is tax, there's something wrong with that picture.

Personally I think people should be able to legally eat, drink, smoke (in designated areas), snort, shoot and/or otherwise consume any substance they choose to without restriction, except perhaps for age. We all do anyway.

Soul Searcher - I almost agree with you. But I'd rather you didn't consume whatever you're consuming and then getting on the same road I'm using to get my groceries and bring them home to my kids. But I'm sure you know better than this....it's just the other jerks..................

Krs, I've worked in the insurance industry for over 20 years now and I would say today that life is all about managing risk. I live in a "safe zone" of my own activities but you're absolutely right IMO - managing exposure to "the other guy" is a lot of what's involved in living a safe, sane life. I don't worry about it but I'm about as cautious as I can be. "A man's got to know his limitations" in the words of Harry Callahan and I know mine. I also have a good feel for human nature, as best I can and I'm always aware that there are a 1,000 things moving in the air around me that are constantly changing everything that seems to be "as it is". :wink2:

"Are the Chinese manufacturers of e-cigs as careful as this American company claims to be? "

Timing is everything Linda.

Ruyan is the big manufacturer, Chinese. Quality control? Dunno, your point is sound I think, there's no direct control over the safety of the process, other than what they say they maintain.

Pricing on the e-cig equipment is low for those made overseas. Those are: the battery, the atomizer and the cartridge that holds the liquid.

I've bought most of my e-cig hardware from overseas sources. They either work or they don't. I haven't had any bad units come in. (ad the instructions are always fun to read in English)

I buy the liquid from American makers and mix my own strength. Ive also tried making my own liquid from scratch which takes some time but can be done with accessible materials and a little time.

What happens upon ignition is the issue, with an e-cig as with a traditional tobacco cigarette. You're delivering small doses of nicotine into your lungs via a very fine atomized "mist" that's much like smoke. It's not the same of course but once tried there's a whole new level of smooth satisfaction that I like. It's quick, no muss, no fuss. What's exhaled is diffused into the air and there's nearly no second hand product.

When I was a kid I had a long period of using the 3 'drines - benzedrine, dexadrine and methadrine. In memory I can tell you there was nothing like that flash of white light that meth delivered. I felt it way too many times and am thankful that I separated from drugs young. (Our God be praised, always).

For a smoker there's a moment of aaaaah that comes with that hit of 'backy. In a way there's nothing quite like it if you're a long time user. I found that over the course of a year I came to distance myself from it sufficiently that I found even smoking tobacco, the full bore need drifted away in it's own time. It's a matter of choice and it's nice to know that now, there is a choice like this.

The list of commonly used ingredients in e-cig liquid:

http://www.e-cigaret...ngredients.html

Average tobacco cigarette

http://quitsmoking.a...ingredients.htm\

Some good reading. :)

I was just wondering what other "goodies" might be stuck in there unbeknownst to unsuspecting vapers. I especially don't know how much the Chinese gov't regulates the ingredients in these gadgets.

Given China's reputation (or at least my perception of its reputation) for not caring much about human rights (and therefore, it would logically follow, not caring much about humans), if I ever take this leap, I'd be more inclined to try one of these e-cig thingies that's American-made, rather than one coming from China.

Think you're right to be wary, Linda.

China milk additives

• 2 years later...

UK has just yesterday decided to regulate e-cigs as medicines, and, effective from 2016, sales will have to be licenced.

E-cigs news item

Maybe choosing to designate these things as medicines means quality controls can be brought in more effectively or swiftly - or something - than if they are covered by tobacco regulations. But ... a medicine??

Regulation makes for some strange bedfellows, Twinky.

http://www.usatoday....rettes/2414641/

Britains CMO sounds like a reasonable and intelligent person. We could use someone like that here.

But regulated as a "medicine" sounds like an odd twist in the britches to improve the industry. Dunno. Here, government regulation to protect us usually means things are about to go wrong and very expensive. Usually. Sometimes.

• 1 month later...

After 40 years of smoking I quit using ECigs. I did a whole lot of research before buying and went with http://www.firelight-fusion.com/ as they sell USA made ECigs and have the lowest prices around. They are out of Florida, so consider that if you order from them .. there will be up to a 4 to 5 day delay from the time you place your order until your ECigs arrive in the US Mail, depending on how far away from Florida you live. I'm in Phoenix, so it usually takes about 4 days for product to get to me.

I didn't intentionally start out wanting to quit smoking. It just got too expensive, so ECigs were the way to go. Our cig bill went from $250.00 a month down to $30.00 or less after the initial cost of buying an ECig kit. We went with their couples kit which was just shy of 100 bucks. Over time I just started using the ECig less and less and one day I put it down and never picked it up again. My hubby will uses his, but not at anything near the amount of real cigs he used to smoke. Neither of us liked their pre-filled filters and so we buy the empty filters and liquid, then fill them ourselves. We are both menthol cig users and prefer the taste of the liquid they sell over what is in the pre-filled filters (I'm thinking maybe cause the filters sit around for a longer time and it gets stale, while buying the liquid and filling filters ourselves gets us fresh liquid that tastes even better than real cigs we think).

The best way to start using an ECig is to get your kit, but do NOT start using it until first thing in the morning on the day you decide you are going to make the change. Doing that neither of us had any problems changing and in fact prefer the ECigs over real cigs. Hope this info helps people who are thinking about going to an ECig. It's sure the best thing we ever did in our lives.

Well done, BB. :eusa_clap:/>

Really good financial saving, but the real saving is to your own health, of course.