GreaseSpot Cafe

Why I don't like Hybrid cars.

ex70sHouston

Now that I have your attention. I find only one fault. They are too quiet.

Saturday morning I was leaving a restaurant when I was almost run over. Seems a car started backing out from a parking space and didn't see me. Problem is I didn't hear it as it moved toward me. Fortunitly I saw it at the last moment before it hit me and moved quickly.

Am I alone in this or has someone else had a close call with a quiet car.

I think the idea of the hybrid is great and am all for reducing our energy dependance on others. Just put a small backup buzzer on it.

Have you ever wondered why cars with automatic transmissions have tachometers? First, let me say that I have never fact checked this. But, what I heard, many years ago, when the smaller cars began flooding the market, was that, because they run so quietly, new owners would think they had stalled out at red lights and try to restart them, thus damaging the starters and/or flywheels. The manufacturers discovered it was more prudent to include a tachometer, which indicated the engine was running, than to have unhappy customers lining up for expensive parts replacements.

I am surprised that those who thought this thing up and engineered it together didn't foresee the silent/quiet problem and already have a built in back-up signal of some kind.

Edited by krys

It has been a topic for yuears, especially amongst advocates for the blind. I believe I heard Prius now has an option for some noises, but the difficulty has been determining what noise people most often associate with being a nearby car. Fanbelt? engine? what is it that sends the message?

Anyway, no, you are not the only one to notice this, and a solution is being sought and perhaps legislation will follow if the manufacturers don't get it together.

Just the same, I rented one down in Albuquerque this summer, and was awed by the 56 mpg we tweaked going up Sandia and out to Madrid and back. We got the 57 driving the highway up to Raton, with the AC running, but my son sent me a pic of the dashboard reading 68mpg for his return trip back to Albuquerque where he played around to get the most he could while still maintaining Interstate speeds.