GreaseSpot Cafe

Brainstorming

Twinky

My favorite was housecleaning. Price by the bathrooms (In 1980 I charged $25 per bathroom). Do the bathroom first (where the devil starts out) and the rest is a breeze. Met friends for life doing this on the WOW field and afterwards.

I did window washing during late 1970's. I mention "I did this" because really if you knew me you would know that "If that woman can do it, anyone can." Also I tried the organization service kind of. It goes with housecleaning. But it was so funny. "Drive you crazy" is amazing and literal truth. You love these people but. . . what can you do? That's where they are. One lady hired me to clean out her house. She was dying. No close family, etc. There were piles of news papers. When she was "done" she hadn't thrown anything out. I was only able to clean around the stuff and move it a little. I kept in contact with her for a few years afterwards even though we moved. She was so precious. (One sad thing about friends is that their family may not know you to tell you when they pass away. So they just depart from your life and you just never know...)

Another idea is to take a class at a local community college or above if you can afford it. 1. You will meet friends and other people who have dawn in their eyes and it's contagious. Also it will add to your current resume, both paper one and you emotional bulwark of confidence of success and hope.

My huband who is 68 and very weak with cancer and diabetes and stuff took a training class at the local humane society and when he went to apply for a job they offered him one promoting the humane society at schools, job fairs, and pet and animal related conferences. You just never know the doors God can open.

So most of all I am praying for you and with you for good success in whatever you put your hand to.

Kit

Edited by Kit Sober

'm somewhat uncertain as to how to bid for a job, whether one-off or ongoing work (like cleaning or gardening or painting). Do you have any suggestions as to how to price?

I stressed for years over this issue and nickeled and dimed and worried myself to death and then usually broke even with a little left over and had trouble getting enough work.

It was a long lesson--these days Id much rather be the high bidder than the low bidder. I actually get more work when I am the high bidder than I ever got as low bidder. I include extras that no one else would ever think to include

Its some psychological thing about "perceived value"

where people think they are getting more.

Of course you have to deliver that too!

It gives you time to do a job and do it right and still enjoy the effort.

Personally Id also say DONT undersell yourself. You are worth a fair wage and deserve to make a profit.

Whatever you decide to do, do it to the best of your ability.

My personal philosophy is sell them the rolls royce -- there are already a hundred people trying to sell them the volkswagon.

Then make your work the "rolls" of whatever it is you do

It took me a long time to learn that

Good advice, mstar.

It surely is a hard market out there with lots of people selling volkswagens.

Yep, I surely can offer a RR service.

I really appreciate all the ideas people have suggested. I'm getting quite excited by the prospects ahead of me...that's when I'm not feeling depressed about how little there seems to be around and about.

My city council is offering a couple of short courses - one is for 2 hours (free) on very basics of business start-up (probably: register your business for tax purposes, keep accounts and pay your taxes!). They also offer another of 3 days duration for which there is a fee (not a huge one) that goes into more specifics. I am booked onto the shorter one which seems to be offered every 2-3 months but one is taking place this coming Wednesday. Not sure how often the longer one comes around.

Another one: I've recently decided to get a Swimming Pool and Spa Maintenance certificate, so I can offer myself as a certified technician to maintain public and/or private pools and spas. This involves doing things like maintaining proper water pH, chlorine and other chemical levels, filter maintenance, pool vacuuming, etc. There are lots of pools here where I live, not sure how many there are in your corner of the UK. A friend at work said he knows of a two-day course here that results in certification. Something else to throw on the idea pile.

I don't think that would work here. A few people have pools, but not too many.

I did have a spa pool in a property I lived in, in another country. We never got the balance right. One time, even, the spa had mosquito larvae swimming happily in it. (Could have been worse - could have been snakes.) Still, we had fun in the pool.

Another idea that Im not ashamed to say I have done---Someone mentioned recycling---About 15 years ago I was going through a lean time and was driving around one day wondering what to do.

I lived in a place at the time where people left their trash out on designated days and I started to notice perfectly good items out on the curb.

I stopped and picked up what looked like a brand new bicycle except the tires were flat... a dining room table with a few scratches in it.... another piece of furniture a few years out of date...when I really started to look there was all sorts of things of obvious value that people just threw away.

For about 6 months I'd spent a few hours a week collecting a few free things, a few hours a week spiffing them up ( ie putting air in the tires, polishing the furniture and doing whatever to make things look presentable) Then on weekends Id haul it to a flea market and sell it.

I typically made more money each week from my selling free stuff than if I had a regular job..

Another idea (and something that I love to do but dont have the time anymore) is house cleanouts.

When someone elderly passes away many times the family will come in from wherever take some antiques, photographs, some furniture and mementos and then have an entire house full of 60 years of stuff that they just want to get rid of so they can sell the house and get on with their lives.

Id contract to clean it all out in X amount of time.

The beauty of that type of job is that if you play it right you get paid three times and almost always get something pretty cool out of the deal.

The family pays to get the house clean--Id hire a dumpster for all the useless things that nobody would want.

Id sort through the items and have a yard sale on many items --furniture, trinkets, old tools, dinnerware etc.--good stuff but not of great value things that can be sold.

third and most importantly (to me) was the unexpected treasures that you find in a house when you go through it carefully and someone has been living there forever.

It could be anything--I have found all sorts of things--a high end collection of Napoleon memorabilia, a complete collection of comic books from the 1920's, a box on antique handblown christmas ornaments (those eventually sold for $800 a piece), a hundred year collection of license plates... ahuge collection of bird eggs from around the world :biglaugh:

I could fill this page with things that Ive found in old houses, some of it I keep (I kept the newspapers of Lindbergh's flight), some of I hunt down suitable buyers for ( I found an UNOPENED case of 24 juice glass in mint condition of Snow White and the 7 Dwarves from the time of the release of the movie in the 30's that I sold to a Disney Collector for $2000).

Every house has something in it and I find it fun to sort through it and not know what you will find next

Anyway--just another Idea--the investment in these things is next to zero and the payoff can be pretty good at times

It could be anything--I have found all sorts of things--a high end collection of Napoleon memorabilia, a complete collection of comic books from the 1920's, a box on antique handblown christmas ornaments (those eventually sold for $800 a piece), a hundred year collection of license plates... ahuge collection of bird eggs from around the world :biglaugh:

I could fill this page with things that Ive found in old houses, some of it I keep (I kept the newspapers of Lindbergh's flight), some of I hunt down suitable buyers for ( I found an UNOPENED case of 24 juice glass in mint condition of Snow White and the 7 Dwarves from the time of the release of the movie in the 30's that I sold to a Disney Collector for $2000).

Anyway--just another Idea--the investment in these things is next to zero and the payoff can be pretty good at times

I sold antique china on the internet and to get my items I would do the auction circuit.......I once bought a 1,000 dollars worth of Franklin Mint solid silver medallion set for 15.00 dollars. The auctioneer never looked at them closely and I got them for next to nothing. I then sold them for a huge profit! Another time I bought a bow and arrow for 35.00 dollars...some super sought after fancy one, again the auction house messed up. I sold it for 700 dollars on eBay. It went to Canada and the guy was thrilled with the deal he got.

I love it when that happens!

I sold antique china on the internet and to get my items I would do the auction circuit.......I once bought a 1,000 dollars worth of Franklin Mint solid silver medallion set for 15.00 dollars. The auctioneer never looked at them closely and I got them for next to nothing. I then sold them for a huge profit! Another time I bought a bow and arrow for 35.00 dollars...some super sought after fancy one, again the auction house messed up. I sold it for 700 dollars on eBay. It went to Canada and the guy was thrilled with the deal he got.

I love it when that happens!

Me too!

I did a house cleanout one time and found a box about 8 inches by 8 inches tucked away, it was tied and obviously cared for. I opened it and found 5 blue metal squares with the letters "A", "B", "C", "F" and "G" enamelled on them.

I had no idea what they were and because I was trying to finish the job almost tossed them out but since they were well taken care of, and the guy had saved other things of value I figured they had to be something and saved them.

I took them around to some antique stores apparaisers etc and I eventually found out that they were THE very very first license plates in the State of Massachusetts (A,B,C,F,G)!!!

I hunted down the guy who had D and E--He really really wanted them bad, we negotiated off and on for several years...sometimes I wanted to buy his, sometimes he wanted to buy mine...They are museum pieces and whoever had them would have the full set

I eventually gave in and sold them to him for 13K when I needed the money.

Not bad for an item that almost went in the dumpster.

Yea thats fun when that happens! :biglaugh:

Edited by mstar1

• 1 month later...

Well, you folks with the wild ideas. Thought I'd give you an update.

I am currently doing people's gardens and housecleaning. I just love working in gardens. The gardens is a bit iffy because it's not feasible when it's raining, and it's rained a little bit lately. However, lovely when the sun is out. Come winter, there won't be so much work. Certainly not the same amount, weekly. So I don't want to build too much dependency on that. Not my only or core business.

I have also done some "spring cleaning" for a couple of people and they are delighted with the results. Both of these will lead to regular work, one once a week and the other about once a month.

I happened to mention that I was setting up doing more or less anything to an acquaintance from church. His eyes lit up - turns out he runs a (high class) letting agency in town. He has regular cleaners but is always on the lookout in case the regulars can't do something. He gave me a job - it was to clean a range with double oven and 6 burners. It took quite a few hours but he was delighted with the end result so maybe more work will come that way.

There have been some referrals and I did a leaflet drop earlier this week and got two enquiries that evening and did the work for the clients today. So work is building up and it's looking "survivable."

Not sure that this is what I want to do long-term, but it gives me a base to move out from. I work more or less when I choose to, and it all fits with the other activities I like to do. There is still time to do the voluntary work that I do one day a week, together with any team meetings or training related to that work. I'd like to keep the voluntary work up, because that is giving me an "in" to advice work and/or debt management work that I'd like to do. I do get interviews for those kind of roles, but always seem to be a runner up.

I have had 3 interviews in the last 7 days for jobs that I'd like - well, two of them would have been perfect for me - the third I could do but it didn't hold the same excitement - with "the usual result." In other words, nobody wants me on their payroll. Still can't work out if it's genuinely that there are better candidates (sometimes, I know others really are more suitable) - or whether it is something about me. There are so many people chasing so few jobs. Maybe I'm just too old. Y'know, the wrong side of 25. (That's only just a joke.) (Not the "25" bit - but sometimes I wonder if, despite there not allowed to be age discrimination in the job market - there actually is age discrimination.)

Anyway it's definitely better to be more in control of myself, my finances and my job prospects - not to mention my state of mind - in doing "Whatever" than in applying for zillions of jobs and never hearing back, or being rejected after interview.

• 1 month later...

Well, folks, business is building up...and dying down.

I have several gardens to tend, but as autumn (fall) approaches, that's slowing down - instead of every week, people want my help every other week. It'll be autumn tidies for the next few weeks, then very little.

So I asked the Senior Partner for some more work and he has sent me some more "indoor" work. This is a couple of houses to tend, a "companionship" job which will be 5 hrs every Weds (more if I want), two decluttering jobs (well, one declutter and one ... dunno what exactly, for someone who has emigrated and left the house as it was!), a petcare (feeding) job for someone on holiday, and a catering assignment (dinner party for 7). There is also some exterior painting to do when the flowers and foliage die back.

And a management job for a block of flats.

So an interesting variety of jobs, and some very grateful clients.

Not making a whole heap of money, but enough to cover immediate outgoings and to overpay a bit on my mortgage.

What's nice is being able to come and go at will, fit the jobs around other things I want to do and have time for people.

Open for any options, and willing to try practically anything legal, decent and honest.