GreaseSpot Cafe

The TWI Conundrum

skyrider

One interesting thing to me describing the fruit of TWI is all of the accounts of how people have to "rebuild" their lives after leaving. Yes, I've experienced this as well. The question that I have for people to ponder is that if TWI is as they profess the greatest "household of believers" since the first century, why would deciding to fellowship with another group of Christians as opposed to TWI cause such trauma? Why the need to rebuild from the ground up again?

I mean compare this to the vast majority of other Christians in the world, Christian organizations, churces, etc. It is very common to run into a friend or neighbor who has switched churches. There doesn't need to be some horrible reason for it other than "it fit them better". Also, to run into scandal with churches is fairly common as well. Some churches collapse over it, some split, some move on with new leaders. Never anywhere do you find the kind of whitewashing of the image of the fallen like in TWI, or all of the drama surrounding it.

This is nothing more than the fruit of a damaging cult. This fruit shares nothing in common with mainstream Christianity, but shares everything in common with other destructuve cults. People leaving are devestated, don't know how to care for themselves, don't know how to fellowship with other Christians, hold a normal job, pursue a career, make friends like normal people. The impact of TWI and cults like this is pervasive.

Jesus taught us to know people by their fruit. TWI you can know by their fruit. Damaged and bruised fruit.

One interesting thing to me describing the fruit of TWI is all of the accounts of how people have to "rebuild" their lives after leaving. Yes, I've experienced this as well. The question that I have for people to ponder is that if TWI is as they profess the greatest "household of believers" since the first century, why would deciding to fellowship with another group of Christians as opposed to TWI cause such trauma? Why the need to rebuild from the ground up again?

I mean compare this to the vast majority of other Christians in the world, Christian organizations, churces, etc. It is very common to run into a friend or neighbor who has switched churches. There doesn't need to be some horrible reason for it other than "it fit them better". Also, to run into scandal with churches is fairly common as well. Some churches collapse over it, some split, some move on with new leaders. Never anywhere do you find the kind of whitewashing of the image of the fallen like in TWI, or all of the drama surrounding it.

This is nothing more than the fruit of a damaging cult. This fruit shares nothing in common with mainstream Christianity, but shares everything in common with other destructuve cults. People leaving are devestated, don't know how to care for themselves, don't know how to fellowship with other Christians, hold a normal job, pursue a career, make friends like normal people. The impact of TWI and cults like this is pervasive.

Jesus taught us to know people by their fruit. TWI you can know by their fruit. Damaged and bruised fruit.

The damage TWI inflicted upon people still reverberates. Some cannot conduct even the simplest of life's transactions without seeing God taking care of them or Satan attacking them. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, you know..

I was like that at first. I remember so clearly one afternoon while driving my car in Cleveland, where I had moved after leaving TWI. I had to pull over to the side of the busy city street and park because I suddenly did not know where I was. Not just what street I was on, I did not know what city or state I was in! I sat there behind the wheel and started to weep, honestly not being able to remember where I was. That was scary. I'd moved so many times during my TWI days, been to so many different cities, different neighborhoods, different houses and apartments, and it all came crashing down on me that day. After I stopped weeping, I decided to light up a joint and clear my mind. One of my ensuing thoughts was hey, you don't need to know where you are, what difference does it make where you are, it's still the Word. So you see, joining TWI can lead to so many wonderful experiences..

I know, I know......as little johnnie thrusts his hand in the air to answer the question.

Ummm......maybe we weren't really doing "the word" and were building a house upon the sand?

Matthew 7:26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand

Edited by skyrider