GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

For some reason I'm thinking "The Millionaire" was the show.

And I'm thinking he was the star who played Bat Masterson also.

That would be Gene Barry. And I believe you're right about the show.

I seem to remember a made-for-TV movie several years back that brought together a LOT of stars from the old Western TV shows. Gene Barry, Doug McClure, Jim Garner... Anyone else remember tht?

George

That would be Gene Barry. And I believe you're right about the show.

I seem to remember a made-for-TV movie several years back that brought together a LOT of stars from the old Western TV shows. Gene Barry, Doug McClure, Jim Garner... Anyone else remember tht?

George

Actually I'm wrong. After my guess, I had to look it up. I had Gene Barry confused with some other guy.

Not sure about the show that brought together those stars. This is late 50's. Most of those that I would recognize are 60's shows.

this is a 60's show. every week the famous guest stars would be listed as he drove in his rolls royce to the crime. very catchy theme song. Honey West was first seen here, then given her own show.

I imagine that I've seen the show, but if it predates "Honey West" it's got to be pretty early 60's, when I was just a lad.

George

here it is the show was Burke's Law-he played a millionaire police captain who solved murders every week by investigating a list of suspects who all happen to be A.B and sometimes C list celebrities. In it's last season, it morphed into Amos Burke-secret agent or private eye, and the format changed.

• 3 weeks later...

"When they came for me, I ran like a thief right into Grand Central Station. They trapped me in a pay toilet."

"Beautiful."

"Cost them four dollars in nickels to get me out."

"I love a volunteer."

This show had at least 2 actors play 2 different characters at 2

different times (with nobody mentioning how one character reminded

them of the other, of course), and had the late Alan Arbus appear

from time to time.

"Bosom Buddies"? Tom Hanks and Peter Scolari each had two roles, kind of.

George

Sort of, but they were playing Kip and Henry DISGUISED as Buffy and Hildegard,

which meant they each had a role that played another role.

Curious distinction, but I was referring to an actor returning in a different role.

"She's offered her body to science. Time and time again."

"I've gotten "Thank you" notes from people I said I'd never see again."

"I've eaten a river of liver and an ocean of fish! I've eaten so much fish, I'm ready to grow gills! I've eaten so much liver, I can only make love if I'm smothered in bacon and onions!"

"I'm reminded of a story, you've probably heard it. The king and queen of this country were playing golf with five clubs. Their son Jack remarked how strange it was that they only had two hearts between them. And just then his sister Little Deucey and her dog Tre started singing 'Four Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend,' whereupon the whole family beat her to death and buried her with two spades."

"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

"I have this peculiar metabolism. If I don't eat regularly, everything solid in my body turns to liquid. My shoes are full of water."

"When they came for me, I ran like a thief right into Grand Central Station. They trapped me in a pay toilet."

"Beautiful."

"I love a volunteer."

from time to time.

Well, I "semi-googled." I used Google Images to see what Alan Arbus looked like. Unfortunately, some of the photos were scenes from a TV show. And, unfortunately, the quotes, which had seemed somewhat familiar, now seem REALLY familiar.

Was this a show, concerning a period of American history, that actually ran about three times as long as that period?

George

Well, I "semi-googled." I used Google Images to see what Alan Arbus looked like. Unfortunately, some of the photos were scenes from a TV show.

He is mostly remembered, I hear, from this TV show.

He also had a small part in the movie "From the Hip." I expect he had other roles

I don't know.

If you hadn't done a search, my next set of clues would have been enough for you to figure

it out fair and square without being eliminated.

And, unfortunately, the quotes, which had seemed somewhat familiar, now seem REALLY familiar.

Was this a show, concerning a period of American history, that actually ran about three times as long as that period?

George

Some people might argue about whether or not it was about a period of AMERICAN history.

BTW, Mrs Wolf had no idea about the clue about the actors, but giggled as soon as I read

the quote about the pay toilet aloud because she recognized it immediately.

Alan Arbus got to say one of the other quotes twice in the series,

and another Alan said a few that I used. Gary got to say another.

Larry and Jamie rounded out the rest of the quotes I used.

"In the meantime, be on the lookout for a male caucasian lamb. He is unarmed, and considered to be delicious."

"You have a fever of 109 stroke 10, you can't have an incubator but you can have a pizza to go, unless of course you go first."

"Attention. Attention. One minute to Charlie. The betting book is now closed."

"I'm wearing a Warner bra. I play with dolls. My last wish is to be buried in my mother's wedding gown."

"I'd like a dry martini, Mr. Quoc, a very dry martini. A very dry, arrid, barren, desiccated, veritable dustbowel of a martini. I want a martini that could be declared a disaster area. Mix me just such a martini."

"I've eaten a river of liver and an ocean of fish! I've eaten so much fish, I'm ready to grow gills! I've eaten so much liver, I can only make love if I'm smothered in bacon and onions!"

"I'm reminded of a story, you've probably heard it. The king and queen of this country were playing golf with five clubs. Their son Jack remarked how strange it was that they only had two hearts between them. And just then his sister Little Deucey and her dog Tre started singing 'Four Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend,' whereupon the whole family beat her to death and buried her with two spades."

"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice."

"I have this peculiar metabolism. If I don't eat regularly, everything solid in my body turns to liquid. My shoes are full of water."

"Beautiful."

"I love a volunteer."

from time to time.

Some people might argue about whether or not it was about a period of AMERICAN history.

"In the meantime, be on the lookout for a male caucasian lamb. He is unarmed, and considered to be delicious."

"You have a fever of 109 stroke 10, you can't have an incubator but you can have a pizza to go, unless of course you go first."

"Attention. Attention. One minute to Charlie. The betting book is now closed."

"I'm wearing a Warner bra. I play with dolls. My last wish is to be buried in my mother's wedding gown."

"I'd like a dry martini, Mr. Quoc, a very dry martini. A very dry, arrid, barren, desiccated, veritable dustbowel of a martini. I want a martini that could be declared a disaster area. Mix me just such a martini."

"Beautiful."

"I love a volunteer."

""Did you see that?"

"What did you see?"

"Looked like a big, red bird with fuzzy pink feet."

"

I have the impression that we woke you about three-thirty this morning."

"No, it was ten of four."

"Did we say why?"

"Uh, you said you wanted to sacrifice a virgin."

"Did we?"

"I was too sleepy."

""Oh you...you..."

"Who you calling a 'you-you'?"

" 'To the Far East Export Import Company, 27 Zapata Circle, Ti-joo-wana, Mexico.' "

"Right, go on."

" 'Mary had a little lamb. Stop. My dog has fleas. Stop.' "

"Good, there's a bit more. 'Mairzy doats and dozey doats, and I'll be home for Christmas.' Got that?"

"Uh..in just a moment. Uh, okay."

"Sign it: 'Your loving son, Queen Victoria.' "

"You told me to keep you up on what he's doing."

"'Mary had a little lamb...'"

"He knows I'm here."

"How?"

"I'm Mary."

"I hate to tell you this, Mary, but your dog has fleas."

================================================

from time to time.

M*A*S*H

"She's offered her body to science. Time and time again." I believe that this was about Hot Lips, but I'm not sure who said it.

"I'm wearing a Warner bra. I play with dolls. My last wish is to be buried in my mother's wedding gown." And that had to be Klinger.

Before I post a new one, which actors played multiple parts? I wouldn't be surprised if David Ogden Stiers or Harry Morgan had bit parts prior to joining as main cast members.

George

M*A*S*H

"She's offered her body to science. Time and time again." I believe that this was about Hot Lips, but I'm not sure who said it.

"I'm wearing a Warner bra. I play with dolls. My last wish is to be buried in my mother's wedding gown." And that had to be Klinger.

Before I post a new one, which actors played multiple parts? I wouldn't be surprised if David Ogden Stiers or Harry Morgan had bit parts prior to joining as main cast members.

George

In Season 1, we had 2 more Doctors, Spearchucker Jones and Ugly John.

Ugly John was an Aussie played by John Orchard, who returned later as the MP Muldoon.

He figures heavily in the episode where the Doctors tend to Rosie's Bar when she can't.

Why was coffee in his coffee mug?

Harry Morgan was featured heavily in the episode, "The General Flipped at Dawn."

He played the crazy general " Major General Bartford Hamilton Steele."

Steele: You're insubordinate!

Hawkeye: Right!

Steele: You're insolent!

Hawkeye: Right! And you're nuts!!

I know this-but every time I go next I shut the game down for weeks. I didn't think I was older than everyone here- maybe my memory is stuck in the cold war.

anyway-it's Mary Tyler Moore Show-Ted Knight and Jack Cassidy did look like brothers.

Right!

Also, Ed Asner read so poorly for the role of Lou Grant that it was going to go to Gavin McLeod. Asner asked for a second chance; and the rest, as they say, is history.

Go, hiway. But don't be spunky. "I hate spunk." ;)

George