GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

I think no one is going to get this-I don't want to short circuit the game again, as I do so often, so I'll reveal it was a show called 'Broadside' around 1964. Kathy Nolan from Real McCoys, and Sheila James from Dobie Gillis played WW11 Waves on a south sea island, along with Dick Srageant (Darrin 11)

takit anyone.

OK. I'll go.

This tv show also only ran for a year. It had a slapstick theme song. (I bet that gave it away for you didn't it)? To this day, it still pops into my head. The show was pretty slapstick too.

Two astronauts are transported back in time and run into a wacky couple playing a woman and her prehistoric mate.

The latter part of the clue is actually part of the theme song to this tv series.

Edited by Human without the bean

"It's About Time" (It's about space. About two men in the strangest place...)

Two short-lived shows cashed in on the super-hero craze of the late 60's, both premiering in 1967. One was about a police chemist, "Carter Nash," who developed a formula to give him Superman-like powers. The other was about "Stanly Beamish," a gas station attendant who got his powers from a secret government pill, which only worked for him.

Get either show, and you go ahead. Get them both, and you have my admiration. :)

Extra credit: what OTHER show (over 20 years later) featured a police scientist who got super-powers (well, one)?

George

it was Mr Terrific and Captain Nice.

Indeed.

Carter Nash invented a power serum. When he drank it, however, it blew up all of his clothes except for his long underwear and his belt, the buckle reading "CN." When asked about it by police, and trying to keep his identity a secret, he said it stood for "Captain Nice" (much to the chagrin of his mother). Mr. Terrific could fly, but he had to flap his arms and cape to do so!

As I'm sure WW knows, "The Flash" was also a police scientist.

Hiway is up again.

George

another one season wonder that I hope isn't too obscure.The star can't afford college, so he crashes classes in order to get an education. How that will help without a diploma I never understood.

I remember the show. The guy assumed a different alias for each class. He finally got caught, as I recall, when sitting in for an "Ohara," dressed up like an Irishman, only to find out Ohara was Japanese. He showed up the next day, disguised as a Japanese, only to have the REAL Ohara sitting next to him. :lol:

I THINK the show was called "The Drop-In."

George

close enough George-you described the show- it was called 'Hank', but I say you got it.

The episode where he got caught was the last episode of the show. When the dean found out what Hank was doing, he wound up enrolling him, with a scholarship. It was really unusual for a one-season show to resolve all of the plotlines at the end. If they knew the show would end after one season, when did they find out (in order to shoot the final episode)? If not, were they planning to re-invent the show for the second season ( a la "Alias," "Prison Break," "Supernatural," etc.)?

"Store-bought soap?? How long do you thing 64 million dollars will last, if we use STORE-BOUGHT SOAP???"

George

Judy Carne and Pete Duel in "Love on a Rooftop."

I wonder if these were memorable because they were good, or because they were actually differentiable from other shows. These days, it's all cop shows or vampire dramas, with slight variations on the theme. :yawn1:

If someone else wants to jump in, go ahead. Otherwise, I'll post another in a day or so.

George

The boldface type indicated that particular text was a clue.

Since you seemed to know the answer but didn't post it,

I figured you made the choice not to answer for some reason.

Normally, one of us will do that if we think someone else knows

it and we had a turn recently and we want to let someone new take

a stab at it. In this case, I thought that would have been

really optimistic.

I was stupid ok-in my original clue I referred to Pete Duel as a future western star who killed himself-I somehow missed the bold type, and assumed george was commenting on the topic I brought up-it didn't occur to me to name the show. I take full responsibility for the communication meltdown-I just don't know whos' turn it is now.