GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

This was a television show hosted by a Golden Hollywood Actor.   It had an anthology format which was very popular in the first decade of television.  The actor was the first woman to host this type of show with men hosts only before her.  After an eight year run, the series ended only to become what it was once before but with The New blank blank Show in its title.

Edited by Human without the bean

That's it.  Your instincts were right.  Loretta Young is a wonderful Oscar winning Golden Hollywood actress and hosted the show from 1953-1961. She was the first woman to host a day time television show.   Way to go George. 

The funny thing is, it hit my while I was driving to a date, and I kept thinking the Human would give up and give the answer before I got back to my computer.  Worse, I got home, but didn't remember to post until the next morning.  Glad I got in under the wire!  :wave:

New one soon.

George

The initial version of this show set a new record at the time - for the lowest ratings for a pilot. A re-edited version that featured two of the stars' original screen tests at the beginning scored one of the highest test ratings ever.

Of the four stars, only two participated in all 58 episodes. One was written out of an episode so he could attend his sister's wedding; another was written out of three episodes; one while he recovered from a tonsillectomy, one when his son Jonathan was born, and one to make a family trip.

George

The initial version of this show set a new record at the time - for the lowest ratings for a pilot. A re-edited version that featured two of the stars' original screen tests at the beginning scored one of the highest test ratings ever.

Of the four stars, only two participated in all 58 episodes. One was written out of an episode so he could attend his sister's wedding; another was written out of three episodes; one while he recovered from a tonsillectomy, one when his son Jonathan was born, and one to make a family trip.

Frank Zappa and Liberace appeared on separate episodes of the show.  What they had in common was a golden sledgehammer.  Liberace used it on his piano; Zappa on a car.

One of the stars had been "Corky, the Circus Boy" on the show Circus Boy, in the late 50s.

George

Frank Zappa and Liberace appeared on separate episodes of the show.  What they had in common was a golden sledgehammer.  Liberace used it on his piano; Zappa on a car.

One of the stars had been "Corky, the Circus Boy" on the show Circus Boy, in the late 50s.

One of the stars was on the same Ed Sullivan show which was the first appearance of the Beatles.  He had no idea who they were, but wanted to find out how they got the girls to scream like that.  (They would, for him, eventually.)

George

Okay, time to make it obvious:

One of the stars was on the same Ed Sullivan show which was the first appearance of the Beatles.  He had no idea who they were, but wanted to find out how they got the girls to scream like that.  (They would, for him, eventually.)

David Bowie changed his name to avoid confusion with one of the show's stars.

George

Ok,  let's see if anyone can answer this one.

This is a round about game-shows about songs.  Name any one to take the round.

A) Joey Fatone hosted this show. He showed up, and began singing to the music the band played. He went around the audience, and stopped and passed the microphone to an audience-member who then sang the next line, If they did it correctly, he sent them onstage to compete in the episode. (Repeat until the entire panel was filled from the audience.)  Some rounds had the song posted with lots of words missing like holes in Swiss cheese, and there were points for each correct fill-in by a singer.   A number of contestants began and were quickly eliminated until the final round, where someone competed solo for a the finale.

B) Made to compete with Joe Fatone's show, this show quickly became more popular.  Wayne Brady hosted this show. It was said you didn't have to sing well, you just had to [game show title], more or less.  Contests went with a single contestant at a time, trying to sing the words to the songs.  Each round, they had to pick one of the posted categories, then pick one of the 2 songs posted, then sing the words.  Each round, they had to pick another until all the categories were eliminated, and each round requited slightly more missing words filled in.  The final round they had to decide to move forward and risk it all, or take their money and run, all with no assistance and only the CATEGORY revealed, not the single song they would have to sing.    There also were some celebrity episodes with them playing for charity, which I quite liked. Oh, and the assists were 1 each of 3 assists:  select 2 of the missing words to be filled,      select for 3 lines to be shown with one of them being the correct line they needed,   and  bring up your back-up singer to the microphone to sing it for you (if you think they know the answer.)  My favorite moment was when Meat Loaf brought up his back-up singer, his friend Patty.  She came up and announced "I am The Meat Patty!" before going for the answer.

C) This more recent show was hosted by Jamie Foxx.  It had several teams of 2 players trying to identify songs that they heard, by picking their titles from a list.  The points went to the one with the right answer- or the FASTEST correct answer if 2 or 3 got it correct.)  The final round had the top team try to name songs without a list, and identify them by sound before the show's dreaded music app could name the songs.  They could potentially take home a million dollars (split 2 ways)  if they could perform the show's title.

Edited by WordWolf

I imagine you haven't heard the title of the third- if you had, you, personally, would find it difficult to forget once you'd heard it.     As for the second, in playing, the important part would involve remembering the words to the songs, but you need to remember the words to the title. :)

This is a round about game-shows about songs.  Name any one to take the round.

A) Joey Fatone hosted this show. He showed up, and began singing to the music the band played. He went around the audience, and stopped and passed the microphone to an audience-member who then sang the next line, If they did it correctly, he sent them onstage to compete in the episode. (Repeat until the entire panel was filled from the audience.)  Some rounds had the song posted with lots of words missing like holes in Swiss cheese, and there were points for each correct fill-in by a singer.   A number of contestants began and were quickly eliminated until the final round, where someone competed solo for a the finale.

B) Made to compete with Joe Fatone's show, this show quickly became more popular.  Wayne Brady hosted this show. It was said you didn't have to sing well, you just had to [game show title], more or less.  Contests went with a single contestant at a time, trying to sing the words to the songs.  Each round, they had to pick one of the posted categories, then pick one of the 2 songs posted, then sing the words.  Each round, they had to pick another until all the categories were eliminated, and each round requited slightly more missing words filled in.  The final round they had to decide to move forward and risk it all, or take their money and run, all with no assistance and only the CATEGORY revealed, not the single song they would have to sing.    There also were some celebrity episodes with them playing for charity, which I quite liked. Oh, and the assists were 1 each of 3 assists:  select 2 of the missing words to be filled,      select for 3 lines to be shown with one of them being the correct line they needed,   and  bring up your back-up singer to the microphone to sing it for you (if you think they know the answer.)  My favorite moment was when Meat Loaf brought up his back-up singer, his friend Patty.  She came up and announced "I am The Meat Patty!" before going for the answer.

C) This more recent show was hosted by Jamie Foxx.  It had several teams of 2 players trying to identify songs that they heard, by picking their titles from a list.  The points went to the one with the right answer- or the FASTEST correct answer if 2 or 3 got it correct.)  The final round had the top team try to name songs without a list, and identify them by sound before the show's dreaded music app could name the songs.  They could potentially take home a million dollars (split 2 ways)  if they could perform the show's title.  The app is older than the show and was designed specifically for identifying songs after hearing a clip of a song.  This is a current show.   Neither the app nor the show have any connection with any comic book character, not even any property of DC nor Fawcett.