GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

This series featured neither the first nor the last portrayals of the title characters.

The actor who played one title character recently said in today's political climate, he would never be allowed to say a line that has been associated with his character for decades. It was a peculiar claim, considering that he, in character, also never said that line (and it was never spoken in the series, though it did come close once).

On a different show, the lead actor went on to play a character you could consider the adoptive uncle of his character in this series.

18 hours ago, Raf said:

This series featured neither the first nor the last portrayals of the title characters.

Sounds as though this show was a spinoff which either also had its own spinoff or ended quickly enough that the characters could appear again in the original.

The characters' names are in the title.

Laverne and Shirley?

George

It is not a spinoff.

Not aware of any series in which Cindy Williams or Penny Marshall played their own uncle. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm actually aware of two series in which the two main characters are named in the title. The two series do NOT have the same name. I'm looking for the earlier of the two series.

One of the shows featuring the two title characters as the title characters is currently airing. I'm looking for the other one.

Plenty of other show and movies in which only one of the title characters is a title character (the other is usually present, but not a title character).

Right.  We're looking for something like "Batman and Robin" and "The New Adventures of Batman and Robin." (Examples only.  I don't think there has been a TV show with either title.  But Batman and Robin would certainly predate any "Batman and Robin" TV show.  And the characters have been around "for decades.")

George

1 hour ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Right.  We're looking for something like "Batman and Robin" and "The New Adventures of Batman and Robin." (Examples only.  I don't think there has been a TV show with either title.  But Batman and Robin would certainly predate any "Batman and Robin" TV show.  And the characters have been around "for decades.")

George

"The New Adventures of Batman" was the cartoon in the 70s that added Batgirl and Bat-Mite. 

"The Adventures of Batman & Robin" was basically the sequel to "Batman-the Animated Series." 

"The Adventures of Batman" was the old Filmation cartoon from the 60s. 

I'm sure we're right on top of the answer.   One show IS CURRENTLY AIRING- if we could name that one, I'm sure we'd have the other. ("Gotham Knights?" "Titans?" )

On 3/20/2023 at 2:17 PM, Raf said:

On a different show, the lead actor went on to play a character you could consider the adoptive uncle of his character in this series.

On yet another show, the lead actress went on to play the mother of her character in this series.

1 hour ago, Raf said:

On yet another show, the lead actress went on to play the mother of her character in this series.

Now I'm wondering if it's an MLJ property, like "Riverdale", "Archie",  "Sabrina the Teenage Witch".   I don't think the "Scooby Doo" franchise can fit the clues no matter how many series' there were. 

Then again, if Batman MIGHT have been on one of the shows, it's probably a DC property.  (That's not guaranteed- they appeared in a "Scooby Doo movies" episode vs the Joker and Penguin. ) 

Any ideas shake loose, George?   I get the feeling we're right on top of this, and still missing it.

I wasn't trying to pin it down as a Batman show.  It has to be a show with at least two names in the title.  Cartoons seemed  likely genre.  Bullwinkle and Rocky.  Beany and Cecil.  The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure.  Of course, there are the live action ones, too.  The aforementioned Laverne and Shirley.  Desi and Lucy.  I'm just not seeing this pseudo-sequel thing.

George

"This series featured neither the first nor the last portrayals of the title characters.

The actor who played one title character recently said in today's political climate, he would never be allowed to say a line that has been associated with his character for decades. It was a peculiar claim, considering that he, in character, also never said that line (and it was never spoken in the series, though it did come close once).

On a different show, the lead actor went on to play a character you could consider the adoptive uncle of his character in this series."

"It is not a spinoff.

Not aware of any series in which Cindy Williams or Penny Marshall played their own uncle. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm actually aware of two series in which the two main characters are named in the title. The two series do NOT have the same name. I'm looking for the earlier of the two series."

"One of the shows featuring the two title characters as the title characters is currently airing. I'm looking for the other one.

Plenty of other show and movies in which only one of the title characters is a title character (the other is usually present, but not a title character)."

"If anyone can think of how he can get any closer without giving away the answer, I'm all ears. "

"Neither.

Batman was not a character on either show.

Not that I know of."

"On yet another show, the lead actress went on to play the mother of her character in this series. "

4 minutes ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I wasn't trying to pin it down as a Batman show.  It has to be a show with at least two names in the title.  Cartoons seemed  likely genre.  Bullwinkle and Rocky.  Beany and Cecil.  The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure.  Of course, there are the live action ones, too.  The aforementioned Laverne and Shirley.  Desi and Lucy.  I'm just not seeing this pseudo-sequel thing.

George

"This series featured neither the first nor the last portrayals of the title characters.

On a different show, the lead actor went on to play a character you could consider the adoptive uncle of his character in this series."

Anyway, I'm actually aware of two series in which the two main characters are named in the title. The two series do NOT have the same name. I'm looking for the earlier of the two series."

"One of the shows featuring the two title characters as the title characters is currently airing. I'm looking for the other one.

Plenty of other show and movies in which only one of the title characters is a title character (the other is usually present, but not a title character)."

"On yet another show, the lead actress went on to play the mother of her character in this series. "

So. We have 2 title characters, more than once. We have a current show.  We have characters who have had shows DECADES ago.    One character was played by an actor, who went on to play the adoptive uncle of the character a different time. 

With 2 title characters, we can obviously skip Zorro, the Lone Ranger, the Green Hornet, Tarzan, Flash Gordon. 

This series featured neither the first nor the last portrayals of the title characters.

Self explanatory

The actor who played one title character recently said in today's political climate, he would never be allowed to say a line that has been associated with his character for decades. It was a peculiar claim, considering that he, in character, also never said that line (and it was never spoken in the series, though it did come close once).

Dean Cain recently complained that he would not be allowed today to say "Truth, justice AND THE AMERICAN WAY." He neglected to mention that on Lois & Clark, he promised to fight for truth and justice. Jerk.

On a different show, the lead actor went on to play a character you could consider the adoptive uncle of his character in this series."

Dean Cain played Kara's adoptive father in Supergirl, making him Clark's adoptive uncle.

You figured it out

"One of the shows featuring the two title characters as the title characters is currently airing. I'm looking for the other one.

You figured it out

Plenty of other show and movies in which only one of the title characters is a title character (the other is usually present, but not a title character)." Superman, Superman II, Man of Steel, Superman Returns, etc. Lois, not so much.

Teri Hatcher played Lois Lane's mom on Smallville.

This is the longest-running spinoff of an even longer-running show.

Miguel Ferrer was so devoted to his role, he refused to take time off, even when diagnosed with cancer. When it started to affect his voice, his illness was written into the character as well.

The birthmark on one eye of one of the stars is such a uniquely beautiful feature that there are now cosmetic contact lenses with it on.

George

This is the longest-running spinoff of an even longer-running show.

In fact, it is a spinoff of a spinoff and has actually outlasted the original show.

Miguel Ferrer was so devoted to his role, he refused to take time off, even when diagnosed with cancer. When it started to affect his voice, his illness was written into the character as well.

The birthmark on one eye of one of the stars is such a uniquely beautiful feature that there are now cosmetic contact lenses with it on.

The first name of one of the main characters wasn't revealed until the seventh season of the show.  (The character didn't hide it; he just didn't know it.)

George

Ok, the most recent series has had at least 7 seasons, so that eliminates a few possibilities.

I'm thinking this is only one of a few possible franchises, but I'm not sure which has been around longer.

So, I'll go with a "CSI" spinoff.  Is it a "CSI" spinoff?