GreaseSpot Cafe

TV Show Mash-Up

bfh

Ah. Then yes

Then, of course, that would be "V".

The scene I linked to will live in my memory for life.

When people are figuring out the "Visitors" are enemies, and stomping on

resistance, some youths with spray-paint go to deface posters for the "Visitors.

An old man sees them (the character was a Holocaust survivor.)

"No! If you're going to do it, do it right. I will show you."

He had the child draw a "v" with the paint, over the poster's figure.

"You understand? For Victory! Go tell your friends!"

THAT was about as memorable an ending as I've ever seen. (IMHO)

This black-and-white cartoon was released in Japan as "Tetsujin 28-go." It was released in the

US (and other countries) under at least 1 other name, which is still remembered today in the US.

Its black-and-white debut in the US was in 1964 (with the violence edited), and its color debut

in the US was in 1993 on the Sci Fi Channel.

It was "an animated series about world's mightiest robot."

Plans for a live-action feature film, so far, look to remain only plans.

If it's not "Gigantor," it should be. 50 years later I still remember the tune:

Gigantor, the space-age robot, he's -- at -- your command;

Gigantor, the space-age robot, his power is in your hand!

George

It IS "Gigantor."

Meanwhile, I thought the clues were too vague to begin with!

It IS "Gigantor."

Meanwhile, I thought the clues were too vague to begin with!

Vague, no. Obscure, yes. Funny the things one remembers.

The starring husband and wife roles of this show were originally offered to Sam Kinison and Roseanne Barr.

Kinison appeared in an episode parodying "It's a Wonderful Life."

George

The lead actor in this 1970s series won an Emmy as best actor in a drama for his work. A few years earlier, the same actor won an Emmy for best supporting actor in a comedy... for playing the same character!

Barbara Mandrell and the Mandrell Sisters

Yes. I thought they were all gorgeous, but Louise was my favorite.

The show showcased established country stars and gave folks a look at up-and-coming ones.

It did well in the ratings, but after two years Barbara was exhausted. :(

George

This show had a number of spin-offs, but two stand out because they were successful AND because they took some unusual liberties. One spin-off featured two characters that were guests on the original show. But if you compared the characters as they appeared on the original series to the way they appeared in their own series, you'd find they were pretty different. Strange, but ok. The other successful spin-off was VERY strange. The main character in the spin-off appeared in the original series in a dream sequence. His own show wasn't even set in the same decade as the original series! But so what. The main character of the spin-off went back to the original series as a guest, informing the original series regulars that in the future, cars and women have something in common: both are faster.

Name any of the three series described in the above paragraph.

"Joanie Loves Chachi."

Ok, seriously...

"Happy Days" spun off "Laverne and Shirley" and had a stealth series pilot for "Mork and Mindy"

which crossed over with the series pilot for that as well. Mork traveled between

1950s Milwaukee and 1970s Boulder.

Laverne and Shirley, on their own series, barely resembled their characters as introduced in Happy Days. Mork was introduced in a dream sequence, later reappearing on Happy Days as a real person, capable of time travel no less.

Edited by Raf

This series ran for about 6 years (plus a short sequel.) Its writers included Jack Vance, Arthur C. Clarke

Damon Knight, and Isaac Asimov.

It was NOT an anthology, it was a more conventional series instead. (We saw the same characters in each

episode, etc.)

One regular character's name was accidentally reversed due to a stenciling error by the staff.

That's especially a shame because the character represented a "first" for television.

The show had an amazingly wide range of products for merchandising for its time.

In fact, some of the merchandising seemed superior to some of the on-set props.

The theme was the Overture to "the Flying Dutchman" by Wagner.

This series ran for about 6 years (plus a short sequel.) Its writers included Jack Vance, Arthur C. Clarke

It was NOT an anthology, it was a more conventional series instead. (We saw the same characters in each

episode, etc.)

One regular character's name was accidentally reversed due to a stenciling error by the staff.

That's especially a shame because the character represented a "first" for television.

The show had an amazingly wide range of products for merchandising for its time.

This series is fairly well-known even now. At the time, it was fairly famous. In fact, it was

famous enough to be sub-referenced in another show. We know this was Ed Norton's favorite

television show. And a recent Dick Tracy cartoon strip suggested that Vitamin Flintheart

got his television break on this show.

episode, etc.) As a science fiction regular television series, it was the

first of its kind.

That's especially a shame because the character represented a "first" for television. "ROBOT 1" became "I TOBOR" and was misnamed despite being

the first robot as a regular character on a television series.

This series is fairly well-known even now. At the time, it was fairly famous. In fact, it was

famous enough to be sub-referenced in another show. We know this was Ed Norton's favorite

television show. And a recent Dick Tracy cartoon strip suggested that Vitamin Flintheart

got his television break on this show.

The main character was played, for a time, by the man who invented the

Green Hornet and the Lone Ranger.

Ok, I get them running into a department store in the same building and

improvising props from off the shelves,

but interspersing COWBOY shorts in the middle and trying to make it make

sense in an SF story?