GreaseSpot Cafe

The power of agape love

I was reading about agape love and the power it gives to overcome fear -- How Peter only had phileo love when Jesus asked him, "Do you love (agape) me?" and Peter answered I phileo you (John 21:17). Without the power of agape love, Peter would deny Jesus when the pressure was on.

And then after Pentecost, Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit was able to stand boldy and proclaim Jesus.

Jesus told Peter that after the Holy Spirit came upon him he would be a witness -- martus (from which we get the word "martyr." (Acts 1:4-8)

And I was reminded of Jeremiah, my friend the prophet. At the beginning of his "ministry" the Word of the Lord came to him and said,"Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the LORD" (Jeremiah 1:8).

When I first sunk into Jeremiah it seemed to me that if Jeremiah was smart, when the Lord said this, he would have asked, "And just from what will you be delivering me?"

Maybe if Jeremiah had asked such a question (there is no time lapse noted between the Lord's promise of deliverance and His ability to reach into Jeremiah and touch his lips with the coal.) BUT, if Jeremiah had asked the Lord for an example of what He would be delivering him from, and had seen that he had a future of such things as being buried in human excrement, being drug out with "clotted rags," etc., rather than a glory walk in the sunshine, he might have requested a bit of time to think about it.

Anyway, so it is with the "power of the Holy Spiirt." It sounds really good, but the power, as Jesus Christ synthesises it is for us to become martyrs. We have the strength to, like Peter did, request to be crucified upside down because he knew he was unworthy to be crucified in the same manner as His Lord.

The world really does hate Jesus Christ people, and I believe we need to consider deeply whether or not we are in this agape stuff for real and for "all the way" with Him.

We do have the goal of being seated at the marriage supper of the Lamb, reigning with Him, etc., but there is a cost in this life, which we must consider whether we are willing to pay.

There are people today whose prayers are in harmony with the Psalm 9:13, "Have mercy upon me, O LORD; consider my trouble which I suffer of them that hate me, thou that liftest me up from the gates of death:

14 That I may show forth all thy praise in the gates of the daughter of Zion: I will rejoice in thy salvation."

Watchman Nee wrote of a soldier in the communist army (circa 1956) who, after witnessing the slaughter of a Christian, was so struck by the power of the love in the Christian that he ran to where the Christian was and said, "I happily take his place," and was martyred also for the Lord, by his choice.

Something to think about, because we also are slated for such things when strengthened by the power of agape.

On Tuesday the doctor said that Fred is termina, with only "days or weeks" to live. I slipped at the hospital and broke my leg in two places and now I am on crutches and severly limited in what I can do. Received this story. Today the doctor called me over to tell me he could go any time (44 years we have been together). And the "check engine" light came on the car. Things go wrong daily and I am trying to retain my confidence and faith in God, find the way to see His healing come to pass in our lives and feel like I am getting blindsided. Then I got this in an email

The song "IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL" was written by a successful Christian lawyer. He had two girls and a wife, and the family planned a summer trip to go overseas. Since he had a lot of work to do, he sent his family and decided to follow them later. He heard the news while on the following ship that another ship has capsized and he knew that his family was there since they mentioned the name of the ship. On His return home, his Law firm was burned down and the insurance refused to pay, they said "ITS AN ACT OF GOD". He had no money to pay for his house and no work, he also Lost his house. Then while sitting and thinking what's happening to him, being a spiritual person, he wrote a song - whatever my Lot , you have taught me to say - IT IS WELL, IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL.

So it really seems that living in the confidence of God has nothing to do with how much the adversary throws at us. That's what I am trying to get into my life -- His peace and confidence, faith and trust, His Love, no matter what happens.

Kit,

Horatio Spafford had four daughters who were lost at sea, not two.....and he was traveling to pick up his wife who survived. He had already lost his only son who died earlier. As he sailed over the place where his daughters were lost he went to his cabin and wrote the words to It is well with My Soul. He was grief stricken and devestated by the loss and the tragedy in his life.....I am sure he and his wife mourned greatly, but his faith was real and it sustained him. He didn't blame God, but was comforted by God. That is where our challenge can be the greatest. Horatio Spafford went on to do wonderful service for God and his life still inspires. We still find comfort in the words he wrote.

I have truly been thinking about you so often these past few days. I am so very sorry for what you are going through. My heart just aches for you.

Here is the hymn and Spafford's story.......

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/T8_EfDqF7YI" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Kit, we must remember it is all about the new heaven and the new earth that are surely coming, and not about this present world of sorrow and pain and death. Looking at my own lot, my own sorrows and the pain I've endured and the death that has surrounded me, I just kinda figure that our brother Jesus Christ has no desire to spend eternity with a bunch of wimps. it's a goofy thought, but it has pulled me through many a rough patch.

You and yours are in my prayers.

Fortunately that love is built into us and is totally freed at his will when we most need it.

I believe and most certain, that there is life after death, immediately.

And the Lord Jesus Christ does have you in his hand of love and power and life everlasting.

The last time we close our eyes to this we see, they are opened to new life in Christ.

May Peace take place in your heart Kit, as tough as it is, it is there.

• 3 weeks later...