GreaseSpot Cafe

What's the best rock song of the 70's?

I watched the documentary History of The Eagles and I got to thinking about some of the music of that day. The Beatles of course, were disbanding, and bands were forming to carry on their torch like the Eagles, the Woodstock generation permeated our culture, and bands like Crosby Stills and Nash, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, and David Bowie put their new twists on our rock culture.

I seem to remember some trivia that the most popular rock song of the 70's was ~Led Zeppelins~ Stairway To Heaven. Wikipedia notes that "it was the most requested song on FM stations in the 70's". Decent song IMO.

• Upvote 1

If you ask me what the best songs are by individual artists, I could come

up with my picks. I have trouble knowing which songs came out in the 70s,

and picking the ONE best song is highly subjective.

I saw a list of the top 80s songs. #1 was "Centerfold" by the J. Geils

Band. We disagreed about that, and I suspect you do as well.

I read an observation once that I thought was interesting. When we think if a musical decade, we usually think of music from the latter half of the calendar decade through the first couple of years of the next. For example, "50's" music ran from about 1955 to 1964. "60's" music was from 1964 to the mid 70's. "70's" music would mostly be associated with disco, late 70's through early 80's. After that, it becomes hard to pick a particular style. (What is "80's" music, etc.?)

I presume that your question deals with the CALENDAR 1970's. It probably excludes disco, too. I don't know anybody (even among fans of the genre) who considers any disco song the best ROCK and ROLL tune.

George

Well how about "What are some of the Better Rock songs of the 70's", then, It might be better said?

George I've never thought about it but, suppose we do go with this observation you read about, then that would put us in the mid 70's to the early 80's.. That's fine with me. Let It Be was released in 1970 so that's out. That would put most of Led Zeppelin's music out as well.

I want to know what some of the better rock songs were from those periods. I'm not asking for any segway into disco music or country music, pop music, blues, Jazz or anything, just Rock music. If there are those who don't even have an opinion then, they don't have to post here.

Hotel California was probably one of the most popular songs of the late 70's. I remember hearing the song, like everyday, for what must have been a couple of years.

One of my favorite ~Bob Dylan~ songs is Sheltered By The Storm. So powerful. Wonderful lyrics.

So are the other songs from the album called Blood On The Tracks, Tangled Up In Blue, "Lily, Rosemary, and The Jack of Hearts", and Simple Twist Of Fate. All wonderful, powerful songs.

Edited by Human without the bean