GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

Indeed.

Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis ("Stony Curtis" to Flintstones fans) had previously co-starred with Marilyn Monroe in "Some Like It Hot."  In this movie, they co-star with Natalie Wood.  Rival daredevils, "The Great Leslie" (Curtis) and "Professor Fate" (Lemmon) compete in an auto race from New York to Paris.  (Yes, they go over water, riding an ice floe across the Bering Strait.)  Newspaper woman Maggie Dubois (Wood) enters as well, but connives a ride with Leslie when her Stanley Steamer craters.

Lemmon also played Prince Frederick of Pottsdorf (and Fate, disguised as Frederick).

The "Wacky Races" characters "Peter Perfect," "Dick Dastardly," and "Penelope Pitstop" were based on Leslie, Fate, and Dubois.

George

"Hadouken!"

"I can see why Rocky climbed up all the way here."

"[/i]W-Why aren’t you talking?”     "We’re gonna need more money.”  "Why? You were in there for, like, five minutes.”   "Dude, they were very convincing!”

"[/i]Oh… You’re… that guy. Hey, listen, I don’t have any money.”   "Do not patronize me, boy!”

"Hadoken!"

"W-Why aren’t you talking?”     "We’re gonna need more money.”  "Why? You were in there for, like, five minutes.”   "Dude, they were very convincing!”

"Oh… You’re… that guy. Hey, listen, I don’t have any money.”   "Do not patronize me, boy!”

This is a stand-alone movie, and should not be confused as any sort of sequel to the previous movie- which was so long ago few people remember it even exists.

One goof accidentally displayed a clear view of Minneapolis' skyline in what was a movie set in a completely different city.

The laws of inertia suggest several moments in the movie might not make any sense-  but that depends on exactly how certain things work in this movie- which is never stated and, obviously, could make a big difference.

Survivor's song "Eye of the Tiger" appeared in this movie, and appropriately so (according to some diehard fans.)

One critique of this movie is that it was neither targeted specifically for adults-  making for a grittier film-  nor for kids- which would have made a more family-friendly film.  

Edited by WordWolf
Formatting error.

• 2 weeks later...

"Hadoken!"

"W-Why aren’t you talking?”     "We’re gonna need more money.”  "Why? You were in there for, like, five minutes.”   "Dude, they were very convincing!”

"Oh… You’re… that guy. Hey, listen, I don’t have any money.”   "Do not patronize me, boy!”

This is a stand-alone movie, and should not be confused as any sort of sequel to the previous movie- which was so long ago few people remember it even exists.

One goof accidentally displayed a clear view of Minneapolis' skyline in what was a movie set in a completely different city.

The laws of inertia suggest several moments in the movie might not make any sense-  but that depends on exactly how certain things work in this movie- which is never stated and, obviously, could make a big difference.

Survivor's song "Eye of the Tiger" appeared in this movie, and appropriately so (according to some diehard fans.)

One critique of this movie is that it was neither targeted specifically for adults-  making for a grittier film-  nor for kids- which would have made a more family-friendly film.

In 1996, Shaq played a genie in a movie called "Kazaam" (IIRC, the name of the genie.)   For reasons unclear to me, some people keep asking what connection that movie has with this movie.  The answer is: NONE WHATSOEVER.

The relics that were snuck into the background may be known to fans-  a burning violin,  a mirror with a face, a magic wand with a bird on it.   That doesn't even mention the reptilians playing poker in a "don't blink" moment.

18 hours ago, WordWolf said:

"Hadoken!" [/q]

One of the Shazam kids said that when firing lightning.

"I can see why Rocky climbed up all the way here." [/quote]

Took place in Philadelphia, with one scene at the library.

He came out of the "gentlemen's club" a few minutes later an broke.

Billy and The Old Wizard.

Back in the 1940s, the last theatrical Captain Marvel movie.

Was supposed to be Philadelphia, neither Minneapolis nor Fawcett City.

If Shazam can "lift" things by magic, he may not be "lifting" with his super-strength as much as he is LEVITATING them, thus moving them much like he flies.  That would mean he could catch a bus without it falling apart from that point- his levitation would support the entire structure and redistribute some of the stress. Similarly, catching people would result in a MUCH softer impact on his arms.

Mister Tawkey Tawny was not in this movie- no room for a talking, anthro tiger.

I, personally, liked that it was less dark than other DC movies.  We COULD have used a bit more Fawcett and less Dirty Harry, however.

In 1996, Shaq played a genie in a movie called "Kazaam" (IIRC, the name of the genie.)   For reasons unclear to me, some people keep asking what connection that movie has with this movie.  The answer is: NONE WHATSOEVER.

Are they just convinced a SIMILAR name guarantees they are the same story or something?

The relics that were snuck into the background may be known to fans-  a burning violin,  a mirror with a face, a magic wand with a bird on it.   That doesn't even mention the reptilians playing poker in a "don't blink" moment.

Each of those was an homage to something in the mythos-  the Ibistick of Ibis the Invincible should be easier to recognize, if anything.

This is Henry Golding's first movie; he was only a travel show host before this, but was introduced to the project after a producer met a studio accountant in Singapore, who suggested his name. However, Henry turned down to audition for the role several times as he did not think he was good enough for the part and believed a "legitimate" actor would be better suited. It was not until the director, Jon M. Chu, reached out to him via a mutual Facebook friend that he was finally convinced to do the part.

The tiger in the foyer of the mansion was an interesting movie prop. Per the Hollywood Reporter, "The mansion's taxidermied tiger was problematic. The best specimen was in London, and the production designer realized he'd have trouble getting it across international borders. Instead, he hired sculptors in Thailand, to create a tiger out of foam and fur, only to have it held up in Thai customs because agents thought it was the real thing. 'We finally got it installed the night before we filmed the scene,' he says."

George

No.

This is Henry Golding's first movie; he was only a travel show host before this, but was introduced to the project after a producer met a studio accountant in Singapore, who suggested his name. However, Henry turned down to audition for the role several times as he did not think he was good enough for the part and believed a "legitimate" actor would be better suited. It was not until the director, Jon M. Chu, reached out to him via a mutual Facebook friend that he was finally convinced to do the part.

The tiger in the foyer of the mansion was an interesting movie prop. Per the Hollywood Reporter, "The mansion's taxidermied tiger was problematic. The best specimen was in London, and the production designer realized he'd have trouble getting it across international borders. Instead, he hired sculptors in Thailand, to create a tiger out of foam and fur, only to have it held up in Thai customs because agents thought it was the real thing. 'We finally got it installed the night before we filmed the scene,' he says."

The author of the book on which the movie is based has been charged with draft dodging in his native Singapore. He is liable to a fine of up to $10,000 and/or imprisonment of up to 3 years upon conviction.

As of October 2018, the film had grossed over $235 million worldwide, making it the highest-grossing romantic comedy in a decade.

George

In the history of the Oscars, only three people were nominated for acting and writing in the same movie.

Orson Welles for Citizen Kane

Charlie Chaplin for The Great Dictator

Sylvester Stallone for Rocky

One of the writer-stars of this movie became the fourth.

The screenwriters are also actors who worked together on two other movies (they did NOT write). Both those movies were directed by the same person (a mere co-executive producer on this movie, who did not want to direct because it was more of a drama than he was accustomed to directing). In one of their other two on-screen collaborations, the screenwriters played themselves.

The trivia on this one is quite obscure.

Honestly, I thought screenwriter getting nominated for both writing and acting was a dead giveaway, but then most people probably forgot he was nominated for acting in this one.

They won the screenwriting Oscar, and the top-billed star won Best Supporting Actor.

I can't think of a single "what it's about" fact that would not be a dead giveaway, but I'll try.

Boy meets girl.

Boy gets girl's number.

Boy scores.

Boy pushes girl away.

Boy chases girl to get her back after stealing something from a confidante.