GreaseSpot Cafe

Blind Loyalty

skyrider

In discussing Blind Loyalty on another thread.......all the dots connect back to wierwille.

Yes, I know.....that when pointed out, most here would acknowledge that WIERWILLE was #1 promoter-in-chief of this blind loyalty doctrine, but at the same time.....wierwille seems to be right there, hiding in the shadows, and removed from scrutiny.

Wierwille's FRONT MEN seemed to take the arrows, yet wierwille was far removed from the scene. His public persona and in-house pr-propaganda was mesmerizing the thousands who pilgrimaged to the roa each year. He "walked by revelation." He could do no wrong. Even to consider such a thought.....was TO THINK EVIL.

Yet, the early corps saw examples of a far different wierwille. He would be brash, nasty and cruel to make a point. That whole incident in Karl Kahler's book, The Cult That Snapped regarding the colon cleanse shows deep insight into the mind of wierwille .....Click Here

The years went by and the marching orders of the faithful were blindly obeyed? And destruction ensued....

* The Zero Corps

* Sandra Ann Sullivan

* Ken Barden

* Gary Dunoff

* The L.E.A.D. accident

* Research MUST agree with pfal

* Corps/clergy CANNOT graciously exit twi

* Manipulation/Coercion/Exploitation

Martindale, Geer, Lynn, and scores of other splinter group leaders were in the minor leagues compared to wierwille.

HE was the one who demanded "blind loyalty".....to jump and not question.

HE was the one to set the corps program on its "two-fold the child of hell" foundation.

HE was the one to personally and viciously destroy a number of lives.

Those who've followed in vpee's steps are pikers.

The fact that Wierwille demanded blind loyalty is very revealing about the man...He craved attention and adulation which indicates that he was insecure, egotistical, and narcistic. He demanded to be the center of attention at all times and felt he had the right to use people sexually, financially and any other way he could think of. He loved no one but himself and was the antithesis of what a Christian minister should be...and yet...AND YET...there are still many people who look upon him as their "father in the word" and still show great respect for him. Hogwash! If he tried to do today what he did then...this low life grifter would be thrown in jail

• Upvote 1

how funny that one major reason i took pfal was because i was so tired of blind faith when i had questions regarding pope and catholic religion

aside from the pikers you listed, i also saw blind loyalty from leaders such as vince finnegan, pat lynn (yes, oh my), jenkinson little POS, many more -- but at the time i looked up to them as "leaders"

when i called wierwille on the in-house phone at HQ and told him how geerwielle had ostrocized (sp?) my corps grad friend over the pond for no good reason, he said "how long do i have to suck your corps asses?" i was taken aback to say the least - holy god what a pig basturd

This may not be a very popular post, but there is a trade off. There was Wierwille and his abuse, and then there were the followers who craved something from him. I'm not talking about the kid who took the class because a nice looking guy or girl attracted them into it, I'm talking about those of us who stayed for years. What was the payoff? We were getting something from all of this. I claimed that I didn't know the stuff that was going on, which was true. Then again, I really didn't want to know either. It was all there in front of me if I was willing to look.

But TWI offered me a type of "home". Legalism, and abuse is not pleasant to say the least. But it does make certain things easy. I need for someone else to tell me I'm okay because deep inside I'm insecure. So if I do the programs, take the classes, and attend the meetings, I'm "okay". I know because they told me so. In other words, I gave them the power to define me. I wanted, I thought I needed, something else or someone to tell me I was okay. I may have been in a cult, but at least it was my cult. While I may not be getting along so well in my life, or even with other people in TWI, I could still go to a meeting and it would be my place, a sense of belonging.

So Wierwille was abusive. One mark of an abuser is that they, well, abuse. Another mark of an abuser is just when he feels he may be losing control of his victim, he does a double flip and morphs into a very sweet and kind person and then reverts back once the control is re-established. So occasionally, just occasionally a person might experience love in TWI. Then the abuse would resume and we would wait for the next drop of kindness and affirmation to come from the ivory tower of Wierwille. LCM tried to do the same thing, but not as many people gave a hoot what he thought.

The truth is, as broken as VPW was, we were also broken, we were looking for something to fill our own void. This is, in my opinion, why people continue to stay in abusive relationships and situations. Look around you at all the people that left TWI only to get involved in an offshoot or another legalistic situation. I would have stayed the same, except in my case I experienced a crisis in my life that could not be addressed by anything that existed within the TWI framework offshoot or otherwise. In other words, that which I had given about 15 years of my life to had become absolutely useless and I believe I saw things as they were. That, and I started reading Waydale and eventually Greasespot. Then again, I had had other crisis previously and they never inspired me to exit TWI, so I don't know. I guess I was just ready.

Anyway, I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes or hurt anyone's feelings. These are just thoughts of mine.

Edited by Broken Arrow

"Anyway, I hope I didn't step on anyone's toes or hurt anyone's feelings."

My toes are just fine and so are my feelings. You make a good point. We all had our reasons for staying. Sometimes I stayed to appease my (then) wife. Sometimes I stayed because I felt my exit would cause familial stress. Sometimes I stayed because it was the "honorable" thing to do. Sometimes I just stayed because it was the easiest route I could take.

"The truth is, as broken as VPW was, we were also broken, we were looking for something to fill our own void."

I agree to this, as well. That's why we were so vulnerable and made easy targets for the allure of an answer to life's struggles.

Broken arrow, I agree with your thoughts. Young children do best when they have boundaries they know they may not cross. That means they have a safe defined area in which to "play". We weren't children, but we felt "safe" as long as we stayed within the boundaries they set for us. Most of us, though, eventually grew to the point that we no longer needed nor wanted the boundaries and eventually found our way out..

• Upvote 1

The simple truths in Psalms 1 were like rivers of water to a barren soul.

When I read scripture that said......"those who hunger and thirst after righteousness shall be filled"

and many other truths, my burdens in life were uplifted.

Whether it was Psalms, Proverbs, Romans or Ephesians....my heart and soul craved to know my God.

For me, twi was not about being broken or "finding a home"....it was simply an assignment of ambassadorship

to carry forth the message of a loving Father to His children. The WOWs in my college town were guiding lights

as I maneuvered thru a vast array of challenges and transitions that year. And, I will forever be thankful for

their year of commitment and service to help others.

I recently re-read that thread twi I, twi II, twi III -- from Waydale......and the perspective of those

who experienced twi during the earlier years, the way east and the way west was, again, enlightening. To see

how they viewed their involvement before the way tree jargon or ramping up of corps grads speaks volumes

that I relate to. It never was about dr. wierwille or twi's hq or ANY OF THAT.....it was about holy spirit

within and the believers living it.

Seemingly, those of the far fringes of outreach.......Heefner, Doop, Fugit and others were on the cutting edge

of a spiritual movement. But with each passing year, wierwille was centralizing control and power and the free

spirit of involvement was snuffed out like a candle in the wind. Sure, the numbers continued to amass for the

next ten years.....but the incorporation of twi only added more concrete and buildings; and less and less of

the spirit of a Living God.