GreaseSpot Cafe

Toxic examples

waysider

Ah, yes... pre marital counselling. What a joke. What I remember most from it was the minister telling us that his wife had told him that the only reason she would divorce him would be if he left the ministry. He said we should think about reasons we thought would justify divorce, too. My reason abuse of myself or our children. His reason: infidelity. We didn't mention the ministry at all. I remember saying that I had already abandoned my family because they left the ministry and that was the biggest mistake I had made in my life.... and that I wouldn't break up the family I was starting with my husband for that reason either.

Ridiculous.

But I am glad he asked us that question - after we left that counselling session my husband to be and I talked about that and both promised each other we wouldn't leave each other just because one of us decided not to be part of twi anymore. That gave me so much reassurance that the man I was marrying was the right guy for me. He would love me more than the ministry. Thank God.

Why would I need to block you? And more to the point, if you don't care whether anyone has any idea what you are trying to communicate, why bother?

I certainly care.

If we're tracing much of our bad behavior to imitating people who imitated VPW, is he really the source?

If we're tracing much of our bad behavior to imitating people who imitated VPW, is he really the source?

I think you have raised a valid point.

Having talked to you on this forum in the past, I am aware you are quite a bit younger than me and raised in a much different environment. My generation grew up in an environment that, like Wierwille's, was highly focused on the man being in charge, whether it be in business, in finances or in marriage. So, in that respect, Wierwille was a product of his upbringing and his times. What set Wierwille apart, however, from Uncle Joe or Grandpa Cletus or our own fathers was perceived credibility. We gave Wierwille some kind of special credibility that we didn't give to our more familiar examples. It's a bit ironic,really, that by revolting against the status quo, we looked to someone who personified it.

Edited by waysider

I certainly care.

Actually, having been in the 9th way corpse, it wasn't just imitating people who imitated Dictor. I was a target of his wrath personally a couple of times.

Actually, having been in the 9th way corpse, it wasn't just imitating people who imitated Dictor. I was a target of his wrath personally a couple of times.

Yes, I believe there's more than just imitation. By imitation I mean looking up to someone out of a desire to be better.

Coercion, intimidation, flat out fear, is another ingredient, to developing or altering our behavior. Is that what you mean?

Yes, I believe there's more than just imitation. By imitation I mean looking up to someone out of a desire to be better.

Coercion, intimidation, flat out fear, is another ingredient, to developing or altering our behavior. Is that what you mean?

Of course. But also that LCM and VPW were not only the archetypes of people who influenced me, I got dosed with their wrath directly, as opposed to second or third hand.

Of course. But also that LCM and VPW were not only the archetypes of people who influenced me, I got dosed with their wrath directly, as opposed to second or third hand.

Can I ask if you noticed anything different about them, their "wrath", as compared to when confronted by the "imitators"? Did they really get in your face?

Can I ask if you noticed anything different about them, their "wrath", as compared to when confronted by the "imitators"? Did they really get in your face?

Forgive me for interrupting but I have a take on this. The imitators, as you call them, were play acting and you could tell. I'd walk away from VP of LCM (and there were others) all shaken up with my thoughts in a jumble. I'd walk away from an "imitator" laughing under my breath. Sometimes laughing out loud depending on who they were. With them, it was like being violently attacked by a house cat that had no claws or teeth. To answer your question, yes they got in your face but they made fools of themselves.

Forgive me for interrupting but I have a take on this. The imitators, as you call them, were play acting and you could tell. I'd walk away from VP of LCM (and there were others) all shaken up with my thoughts in a jumble. I'd walk away from an "imitator" laughing under my breath. Sometimes laughing out loud depending on who they were. With them, it was like being violently attacked by a house cat that had no claws or teeth. To answer your question, yes they got in your face but they made fools of themselves.

Was the difference in the words, was there a physical difference?

You can always ask. You may or may not be satisfied with whether you get answers to your questions. But it never hurts to ask.

I don't really have recollection of any serious confrontations by LCM or VPW wannabees. That could partially be because I didn't take them seriously.

I think the key may be in the word "wannabee." Young children learn by imitating their parents, siblings and others with whom they come in contact.

That's what happened a LOT with the way corpse. But it took, IMO, a special kind of arrogance and hate to instill the kind of terror in people that LCM and VPW did.

But then again, it made enough of an impression on me that I let it adversely impact my family relationships. Which is what I was saying that perhaps inspired the

first post on this thread.

. . .

But then again, it made enough of an impression on me that I let it adversely impact my family relationships. Which is what I was saying that perhaps inspired the

first post on this thread.

Well I know in twi at least, that sort of behavior, the harshness and yelling, at times brought people together. Not saying that it's right or wrong. I know behavior expected in twi is shunned elsewhere. Relationship expectations regarding appropriate behavior can change depending on context. What brought people together in twi could destroy what they have outside. In twi you knew to treat people "on the outside" differently. The context of these relationships would be a factor in labeling what is toxic behavior, IMO, since there's no one way to survive.

I can remember going back home after Way D, (more intense analog of W.O.W. I'm told). I was maybe 20.

Very harsh reproving my folks, "reproving" left and right. They were proud, never had seen them so happy. That's what they wanted to see. They couldn't get enough. They want "toxic behavior".

The delivery, the harshness, didn't seem to matter. It's just how they talk. It matters to much of the rest of the world on the outside. Not to waybots. Why?

I can remember going back home after Way D, (more intense analog of W.O.W. I'm told). I was maybe 20.

Very harsh reproving my folks, "reproving" left and right. They were proud, never had seen them so happy. That's what they wanted to see. They couldn't get enough. They want "toxic behavior".

The delivery, the harshness, didn't seem to matter. It's just how they talk. It matters to much of the rest of the world on the outside. Not to waybots. Why?

Maybe it's a variation of Stockholm Syndrome.

• Upvote 1

In Way World, we were told that to be this way (harsh, confrontational, etc.) was being loving. They used this verse:

Galatians 6:1

Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such a one in the spirit of meekness, considering thyself unless thou also be tempted.

They took that term meekness and made it out to be "meekness to the word" instead of "gentleness" or "humility" as it is rendered in other version of the Bible other than the King James.

Then they used this verse:

I John 5:2

By this we know we love the children of God, when we love God and keep his commandments.

So, to love the children of God, we have to keep his commandments - not actually LOVE them, not be NICE or CARING to them - NOOOOOOOO. WE DO THE WORD AND THAT IS ENOUGH AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, TOO FRIGGIN' BAD.

And then tie in the whole "be in control of your emotions" stuff and you have a really big mess on your hands.

People in TWI changed Love (which God IS) into "DOING THE WORD" ™. We do the Word when we RESTORE each other when they are at fault by being meek to the WORD.

It all gets screwed up from there.

THIS is changing the truth of God into a lie and worshipping and serving the creation (The BIble) more than the Creator.

2 Peter 2:3 NIV

In their greed these teachers will exploit you with fabricated stories. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.

• Upvote 1

Maybe it's a variation of Stockholm Syndrome.

(from link)

Identification with an aggressor — In psychology, an unconscious process in which a person adopts the perspective or behavior patterns of a captor or abuser. Some researchers consider it a partial explanation of Stockholm syndrome.

Regression — In psychology, a return to earlier, usually childish or infantile, patterns of thought or behavior.

Maybe you're right

. .

People in TWI changed Love . . into "DOING THE WORD" ™. . .

Definitely.

. . .*TM* . ha ha ha

In Way World, we were told that to be this way (harsh, confrontational, etc.) was being loving. They used this verse:

Galatians 6:1

Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such a one in the spirit of meekness, considering thyself unless thou also be tempted.

They took that term meekness and made it out to be "meekness to the word" instead of "gentleness" or "humility" as it is rendered in other version of the Bible other than the King James.

Then they used this verse:

I John 5:2

By this we know we love the children of God, when we love God and keep his commandments.

So, to love the children of God, we have to keep his commandments - not actually LOVE them, not be NICE or CARING to them - NOOOOOOOO. WE DO THE WORD AND THAT IS ENOUGH AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, TOO FRIGGIN' BAD.

And then tie in the whole "be in control of your emotions" stuff and you have a really big mess on your hands.

People in TWI changed Love (which God IS) into "DOING THE WORD" ™. We do the Word when we RESTORE each other when they are at fault by being meek to the WORD.

It all gets screwed up from there.

THIS is changing the truth of God into a lie and worshipping and serving the creation (The BIble) more than the Creator.

2 Peter 2:3 NIV

In their greed these teachers will exploit you with fabricated stories. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.

Excellent analysis, IMO. Thanks for articulating it.

Group norms.

And yes, Stockholm Syndrome.