GreaseSpot Cafe

Cult versus Culture

chockfull

I see we disagree strongly somewhere, but I do not see clearly where.

I have watched many times, ever since I was a child, followers be told to their face what is going on. Matters and accusations would come up in fellowships and then laughed off. There's that delete button in their minds where memories are just not recalled.

I do not believe there are any secrets. Just positions that get more difficult and ridiculous to defend.

It's perhaps a matter of defining what may take place between the ears of the people you observed being told things.

Something was taking place. It wasn't simply being made aware and then holding it as such. That's not how it works.

Denial is a very powerful psychological defense mechanism.

"in psychiatry, a defense mechanism in which the existence of unpleasant internal or external realities is denied and kept out of conscious awareness. By keeping the stressors out of consciousness, they are prevented from causing anxiety."

YOU may have been able to retain those items in your conscious awareness because they didn't cause you an extreme level of anxiety. Maybe?

It's perhaps a matter of defining what may take place between the ears of the people you observed being told things.

Something was taking place. It wasn't simply being made aware and then holding it as such. That's not how it works.

"in psychiatry, a defense mechanism in which the existence of unpleasant internal or external realities is denied and kept out of conscious awareness. By keeping the stressors out of consciousness, they are prevented from causing anxiety."

YOU may have been able to retain those items in your conscious awareness because they didn't cause you an extreme level of anxiety. Maybe?

I was possessed with devil spirits. So yes, I would remember things.

I was just thinking about this. Most organizations whether business or religion have an otganizational culture that defines them.

So what's the difference between an organizational culture and a cult?

CULTURE

CULT

When you've got that large of a portion of culture that is hidden from everyone's view, what do you have?

That's right spelling fans.

In post #2 I was pointing out how much The Way sits in stark contrast to the surrounding area. A discussion on culture immediately brought The Way to the local "native's" mind. The instructor dismissed the idea it was a culture or subculture and redirected the discussion. I don't know why.

Here's an article FWIW, Cult/Culture. Maybe it will make things more interesting.

I'm sure you're aware of the phenomenon where someone is getting beat up on the street, and the people on the street just keep walking, don't call for help, just keep walking. Is part of denial?

But is it still an emotional defense mechanism? I'm not suggesting you're wrong, just expanding the question.

Depending how you define it,

you could say that about when it refers to "diffusion of responsibility."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect#Diffusion_of_responsibility

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_of_responsibility