GreaseSpot Cafe
oldiesman

Roman Catholic Church: Invasion from Within

I thought this was an interesting video (about 20 minutes) of how the RC Church got invaded from within.   Right now, from what I've seen and experienced, the "Novus Ordo" Mass is a severely watered-down version of the Traditional Latin Mass.    Some trads. believe the new Mass isn't valid at all.  I do not hold to that view, though I do believe the traditional Mass is way more serious, reverent and worshipful.

One difference, AFAIK, between the new Mass and the old is conducting it all in Latin vs all in the language of the people (except for certain things the priest does almost silently.)  Another difference is in the priest facing the congregation vs facing away from the congregation.  In your opinion, do those make a difference, and, if so, what difference do they make?

As I understand it the Latin contains many more gestures and worship sequences, meaningful actions that were cut out when they reduced it at Vatican 2.    When facing the cross during the original Latin Mass,  the priest actually worships Jesus (which was described to me as like time travel i.e. you are there at the crucifixion) having only the altar as opposed to using a table and facing the congregants during the new Mass.   

Here's a video series that was suggested to me (this is part One of Three) of the set-up of the original Latin Mass, that you may find interesting:

Edited by oldiesman

Meh.

I did watch a couple of minutes of each of those videos.

OM, glad there's something for you to find worthy and fulfilling in catholicism. But it's definitely not for me.

Thanks for answering about facing the congregation.  I think you missed, however, that I also asked what difference the Latin makes, if any, in your opinion.   (Unless you refuse to answer, which, of course, you can do if you want to- but I don't think that was the idea.)

Wordwolf, I don't know other than its tradition, and maybe some Pope decreed along the way that that was the way it was supposed to be said and no other way.  Personally I would like to hear the entire traditional high Mass in English, but I don't think its available around here.    Some trads literally believe that once a Pope says something like that anything else is invalid.   Of course there are exceptions:   it is said that the Rosary was given to St. Dominic directly from Mary as 15 decades; then Pope John Paul added 5 more decades which the trads believe makes it invalid so there they don't accept the Popes decision.  It certainly seems to be a dilemma for them to accept some Popes decrees and reject others...

Edited by oldiesman

10 hours ago, Rocky said:

Meh.

I did watch a couple of minutes of each of those videos.

OM, glad there's something for you to find worthy and fulfilling in catholicism. But it's definitely not for me.

Thank you.   I find it as one of the most serious ways to worship God.   Of course, they don't know that I speak in tongues during the Mass and I don't broadcast it because they definitely don't believe in it unfortunately.

5 hours ago, oldiesman said:

Thank you.   I find it as one of the most serious ways to worship God.   Of course, they don't know that I speak in tongues during the Mass and I don't broadcast it because they definitely don't believe in it unfortunately.

Well, if you're doing it silently, it's not like they have to know. You can do it through most of the Mass and all of the homily and nobody would know- unless you sub-vocalize or something so your lips move.

10 hours ago, oldiesman said:

What about the Charismatic Catholics?

Those would come under the Novus Ordo not the traditionalists.   Even then, its a separate service from their usual Mass from what I've seen.   And the service I've been to didn't have SIT with interpretation only a word of prophesy (which was very much like the old TWI).

Okay, here's what I don't get. And, I'm not trying to make trouble. You say you consider Mass to be one of the most serious forms of worship but you S.I.T. while the service is being held. To each his own. I guess. It just strikes me as being like the people who make a recipe they saw online and then comment on how much they really liked it but added coconut sprinkles and pineapple chunks to the mix. Well, it's not the same recipe, then, is it?

11 hours ago, waysider said:

Okay, here's what I don't get. And, I'm not trying to make trouble. You say you consider Mass to be one of the most serious forms of worship but you S.I.T. while the service is being held. To each his own. I guess. It just strikes me as being like the people who make a recipe they saw online and then comment on how much they really liked it but added coconut sprinkles and pineapple chunks to the mix. Well, it's not the same recipe, then, is it?

Yes, I'm adding something to the mix that works for me.   Others may not go for the same mix as mine.