GreaseSpot Cafe

Being a musician in TWI

johniam

Ed McMahon. He was a perfectly marketable television personality. He proved that on Star Search and Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes, but when he was with Johnny Carson, he sublimated his ego, personality, whatever he had to give, to make Johnny look good. He wasn't a clown or a bumbling sidekick, he was just like Johnny's 'doulos'.That's what it was like being a musician in TWI. I've gotten a lot of different input about music. Sang tenor in choir 7th grade thru high school, took guitar lessons for 2 years, was in a music school for 2 semesters, even took a class in south carnatic Indian music at another school, plus you get a lot of tips etc. just by playing with other musicians who are better than you. However, about performing, only one source of input, namely TWI. In TWI, God is the 'star of the show'...ALWAYS! If the person running the fellowship thinks you made God look good, you're OK; if you start rocking out and get on an ego trip, not OK. I heard VP once told Joyful Noise he'd rather work with the devil himself than with a musician. Ted Ferrel once posted here that whenever he was accused of being on an ego trip, he felt the person accusing him was on a jealousy trip. In that Steven Seagal movie 'Under Siege' miss July said she did not date musicians...(awww). I have sensed jealousy from some people before, during, and after TWI. I couldn't play a lead guitar solo to save my life, but I can play songs like Classical Gas and a big chunk of the first part of Jethro Tull's 'Thick as a Brick'. If you can entertain people well, then you're going to get positive attention that is ongoing. That's what makes some people jealous. People who seem to have the right combination of looks and personality to be attractive to many of the opposite sex are often targets of jealousy as well. Last week at the fellowship I attend I got to play 'It's gotta be God' and later this morning I will play 'Oh, the price he paid'. A man's gift can make room for him.

I played a lot of music for the way both on the field, Gunnison, and HQ. I wont comment on HQ way productions except only to say they are doing way better than when rosalie was around.

Personally, I enjoyed playing at branch meetings, STS hookups, classes even. I didnt know anything about all the goofiness with vp, how he felt about musicians, ego trips, all that until I arrived at HQ. I heard the stories as well when I was in-residence. I can really see your points on ego trip accusation vs. jealousy as a motivation from the accuser. I guess I never really got involved in all of that and just played what I was going to play the best I could play it. 

I coordinated a concert for staff members each year at HQ, called Summer Jam. Basically, a group of young staffers had set up shop at one of the parks in New Knoxville and rosalie had a coniption fit. Anyways, she couldnt force them not to do the concert in the park so she opened up the stage out behind the auditorium and we made it an official staff event. We always had a really good turnout. Ususally around 7 to 10 acts of varying skill levels and usually a few hundred people in the audience. Everyone always had fun and just did their best and it was no critiscism or ego really, we all just had a good time. Turns out a many staffers had a lot of hidden talents and I enjoyed seeing other aspects of their abilities and such. Im not sure if this event endured the test of time, which I doubt, or if it faded off into obscurity after interest faded or whatever...

Thats cool you get to play at fellowship. Fun stuff. Enjoy!

Edited by OldSkool

1 hour ago, OldSkool said:

I played a lot of music for the way both on the field, Gunnison, and HQ. I wont comment on HQ way productions except only to say they are doing way better than when rosalie was around.

Personally, I enjoyed playing at branch meetings, STS hookups, classes even. I didnt know anything about all the goofiness with vp, how he felt about musicians, ego trips, all that until I arrived at HQ. I heard the stories as well when I was in-residence. I can really see your points on ego trip accusation vs. jealousy as a motivation from the accuser. I guess I never really got involved in all of that and just played what I was going to play the best I could play it. 

I coordinated a concert for staff members each year at HQ, called Summer Jam. Basically, a group of young staffers had set up shop at one of the parks in New Knoxville and rosalie had a coniption fit. Anyways, she couldnt force them not to do the concert in the park so she opened up the stage out behind the auditorium and we made it an official staff event. We always had a really good turnout. Ususally around 7 to 10 acts of varying skill levels and usually a few hundred people in the audience. Everyone always had fun and just did their best and it was no critiscism or ego really, we all just had a good time. Turns out a many staffers had a lot of hidden talents and I enjoyed seeing other aspects of their abilities and such. Im not sure if this event endured the test of time, which I doubt, or if it faded off into obscurity after interest faded or whatever...

Thats cool you get to play at fellowship. Fun stuff. Enjoy!

Cool!  I enjoyed playing and singing a bit myself.  Playing helps my quality of life so need to do more of it.

The summer jam you describe sounds like the exact same thing they did that was labeled the “Youth Rock” or “Youth ROA” in the summer.  Sounds like about same number of participants.

We always did “coffee houses” in the day.  That idea is cool - spending time educating people on a unique individual talent.  But we always were doing those as a “PX” or “public explanation”.  Of what?  PLAF.

3 hours ago, johniam said:

Ed McMahon. He was a perfectly marketable television personality. He proved that on Star Search and Publisher's Clearing House Sweepstakes, but when he was with Johnny Carson, he sublimated his ego, personality, whatever he had to give, to make Johnny look good. He wasn't a clown or a bumbling sidekick, he was just like Johnny's 'doulos'.That's what it was like being a musician in TWI. I've gotten a lot of different input about music. Sang tenor in choir 7th grade thru high school, took guitar lessons for 2 years, was in a music school for 2 semesters, even took a class in south carnatic Indian music at another school, plus you get a lot of tips etc. just by playing with other musicians who are better than you. However, about performing, only one source of input, namely TWI. In TWI, God is the 'star of the show'...ALWAYS! If the person running the fellowship thinks you made God look good, you're OK; if you start rocking out and get on an ego trip, not OK. I heard VP once told Joyful Noise he'd rather work with the devil himself than with a musician. Ted Ferrel once posted here that whenever he was accused of being on an ego trip, he felt the person accusing him was on a jealousy trip. In that Steven Seagal movie 'Under Siege' miss July said she did not date musicians...(awww). I have sensed jealousy from some people before, during, and after TWI. I couldn't play a lead guitar solo to save my life, but I can play songs like Classical Gas and a big chunk of the first part of Jethro Tull's 'Thick as a Brick'. If you can entertain people well, then you're going to get positive attention that is ongoing. That's what makes some people jealous. People who seem to have the right combination of looks and personality to be attractive to many of the opposite sex are often targets of jealousy as well. Last week at the fellowship I attend I got to play 'It's gotta be God' and later this morning I will play 'Oh, the price he paid'. A man's gift can make room for him.

So regarding jealousy and being a musician.  I have found out throughout my life that there is a delicate balance between a man a woman and a man’s guitar.

Somehow the Bible being involved or not has not made much of a difference there lol.

:jump:

My country coordinator played guitar and composed songs.  She used to sing one, in particular, which was very touching.  Sang it at HQ, where it was immediately pounced on by LCM, who basically stole it, changed some of the wording, accredited to Way Pubs or some such, and gave it to M1ke M@rtin to sing.  CC didn't get any acknowledgement, no thanks, no nuthin'.  She graciously said it was okay, but I could tell she was disappointed (?) at never being acknowledged or thanked.

On 12/18/2022 at 6:16 AM, johniam said:

Those songs were great, and I still own some of the old LPs from the 70s.    Another great one was "Turn your eyes upon Jesus."   Simply heaven.  Thx. John.