GreaseSpot Cafe

Trivia about Movies, TV, Music, or anything to do with anything.

During WW 2, the Japanese made over 9000 balloon bomb attacks on the continental US with only an estimated 300 landing , but only one of these resulted in the deaths of civilians,  Name the state and approximate vicinity in the state, e.g., Northern, Southern, Western, Eastern in which it happened and how many civilians died?  Extra points if you can  name the rural town , or the closest city 50 miles away it happened in .

Edited by Human without the bean

WW 11?  I must have missed a few.  :biglaugh:

I would imagine it was a western state.  I can't see balloons (dirigibles?) getting far inland without being shot down.

I'm going to guess California, northern, near San Francisco.  10 or fewer dead.

George

6 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I would imagine it was a western state. 

That's affirmative George, but it was no where near San Francisco.

7 hours ago, WordWolf said:

I'll be shocked if anyone here knows this.

Well, given, it's not everyday household information that many would know, but here where I live, there are many who would know something about the only Japanese attack on the continental mainland that took loss of life.

13 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

During WW 2

Corrected that.  Hey so you know, I'm willing to give this one up if it's going to go nowhere.  To me it's notable trivia and it's not just local trivia to a few.  It's history.

Alright, nobody knows then. 

In May of 1945, the Japanese dropped incendiary bombs by float planes into a forest near Klamath Falls, Oregon, 20 miles near the northern border of California where a church group, a minister and his wife 6 months pregnant with 5 of their parish children were going on a picnic near an old logging town named Bly, Oregon.  A little escape (so they thought) amid the bubbling brooks and ponderosa pines.  While the minister parked his car on an old gravel road, his wife and the kids all  ages between 11 and 14, began to take a stroll down to a knoll that led to a stream when one of the five, a 13 yr. old girl spotted what looked like a white canvas on the forest floor and got everyone's attention to come take a look.  The wife called out to her husband, "It looks like some kind of balloon", standing 50 ft away.

Before the minister could shout a warning the girl began to touch and tug at it when the device exploded, killing all five children and the minister's wife and unborn child "almost instantly".   What a gruesome thing to happen.  Sadly, the minister's wife may not have died right away and the minister had tried to beat his wife's burning clothes with his hands.

Next trivia.

Why did scientists invent the first webcam?  If I may elaborate, what were they trying to monitor or watch?

grammar

8 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

The scientific ones are good for observing nature in real time.

Were they trying to document the lives of a pack of wolves?

No.  This is one case where scientists weren't being scientific.

25 minutes ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Were they videoing their classes so they didn't have to attend?

George

Now that's an idea isn't it,  but not the right one here.  In this case, scientists were working in a laboratory.

12 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

No.  This is one case where scientists weren't being scientific.

They were still working, however, I don't mean to throw anybody off track, but the reason for the webcam didn't have much to do with science.

UNscientific?

I was going to ask if they were monitoring the growth of plants.

However, I'm going to take a different wild guess.

"They were trying to see if a watched pot never boils, and if there was a time difference if a pot was watched remotely versus someone watching it from the same room."

It's got a name.  The Trojan Room Coffee Pot was in the main computer lab at the University of Cambridge, England.  Late 1991.  To spare anyone from the disappointment of taking the trip and finding it empty, a scientist created a program that put the picture of the coffee pot on the computer.  The first webcam.  The location of the coffee pot was in the central computer laboratory with six or more floors not to mention flights of stairs that you would encounter.  So this is understandable and you can see why the webcam was created. To know before you go and "was there any jet fuel in the tank" when you got there.  I say this as I have just had the first cup of coffee of my day.    I'm glad you got a kick out of this George.