GreaseSpot Cafe

Trivia about Movies, TV, Music, or anything to do with anything.

Miami Marlins second-baseman Luis Arraez did something in 2023 that had never been done in the history of Major League Baseball. It took him two years to do it.

What was it?

No, nothing that obscure. This is an achievement/stat that is more simple, a stat you would find on a baseball card without other metrics getting in the way.

Simple stat: Home Runs in a season.

Other metrics getting in the way: Home runs with runners on base. Leadoff home runs. Home runs with two outs. Home runs with runners in scoring position.

This is a simple stat for which he would receive recognition.

(MVP is not a stat. Golden Glove is not a stat).

22 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

It can't be a one-season stat, if it took him two years to do it.   don't recognize the name at all, so maybe it's a defensive stat.  Fielded 1.000 two years in a row?

George

um. fielded 1.000 IS a one-season stat. Your guess contradicted your premise. Your guess was wrong. More importantly, your premise was wrong.

Edited by Raf

14 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Maybe the only player ever to make more than one unassisted triple play?

George

This achievement took two years. It could not have been accomplished in one. 

WW's guesses are also incorrect. I wouldn't expect to find either on a baseball card. 

So here's what's important: 

It IS a single season stat. 

It was over two CONSECUTIVE seasons. That's part of what made it interesting.

Another part: something significant changed between 2022 and 2023 that focuses this achievement. Without that change, it still would have been impressive. Just not as unique.

Out of curiosity,  did the single season stat take place over 2 consecutive seasons because there was an inturrupted season, interrupted by a baseball strike or global health crisis or something, or were we talking two normal seasons (as normal as seasons get)?

Ok, trying to put this together....

"Miami Marlins second-baseman Luis Arraez did something in 2023 that had never been done in the history of Major League Baseball. It took him two years to do it.

What was it?"

"No, nothing that obscure. This is an achievement/stat that is more simple, a stat you would find on a baseball card without other metrics getting in the way.

Simple stat: Home Runs in a season.

Other metrics getting in the way: Home runs with runners on base. Leadoff home runs. Home runs with two outs. Home runs with runners in scoring position.

This is a simple stat for which he would receive recognition.

(MVP is not a stat. Golden Glove is not a stat)."

" This achievement took two years. It could not have been accomplished in one.

WW's guesses are also incorrect. I wouldn't expect to find either on a baseball card.

So here's what's important:

It IS a single season stat.

It was over two CONSECUTIVE seasons. That's part of what made it interesting.

Another part: something significant changed between 2022 and 2023 that focuses this achievement. Without that change, it still would have been impressive. Just not as unique."

George's premise was incorrect when he said "It can't be a one-season stat, if it took him two years to do it."

So, it IS a one-season stat that took 2 years to accomplish.   
I'm not a sports maven, but I know seasons can get interrupted by events like a global pandemic or an industry strike.  If one of those interrupted a season, the next season might be counted as the same season for purpose of statistics, according to the baseball Powers That Be.  

So,
1) an achievement stat
2) never been done before
3) took 2 consecutive years to do this 1-year stat
4) simple stat with other metrics getting in the way
5) simple stat that would be recognized
6) stat would/could appear on a baseball card
7) the uniqueness is based on a change between 2022 and 2023

Stats on a baseball card seem to be divided by "lifetime" and "this year".  So, the "lifetime" stats are irrelevant here.  What he scored is in the "this year" category.

The change either is due to a change in League rules, or the interruption of a season making, say, 1 1/2 seasons be counted as one season, allowing for enough games to make this stat possible- for the first time.    

It's an "impressive" stat, so we can scratch "number of times at bat."

I got stuck at this step. Got anything, George?

Ok, clarifying.

The seasons were 2022 and 2023. No interruptions.

It's a single season stat, accomplished both seasons.

The stat alone won't give you the answer, but the context around it will.

Example: Barry Bonds hit 77 homecruns in a single season. That's a stat. 

No one else ever hit that many. That's what makes the stat significant.

Luis Arraez did something significant [not THAT significant, but still impressive AND recognized] two years in a row. 

Something changed from 2022 to 2023 that altered the significance of his achievement, making it something no one had ever done before. The change was to Arraez, not to the sport.

Edited by Raf

The more precise you are with your guesses, the more precise I am with my clues.

He did bat over three hundred both seasons. I do not believe he switched from left to right.

His batting average is the correct stat. But most switch hitters, I dare say all, alternate lefty/righty all the time. They don't go full seasons one-way and the next season another.

Don't get complicated: Whose batting average do you care about? 

Ok, let's wrap this up:

What Luis Arraez did in 2022 is something that happens twice a year in baseball. It's impressive because only two people can accomplish that feat in one year. 

What Luis Arraez did in 2023 is something no one could have done unless he were in Arraez' shoes. Namely:

* Something specific had to change between seasons FOR THAT PLAYER. Not a change in the rules, not a pandemic. Something that could happen to any player at any time, but for Arraez happened between the 2022 and 2023 seasons.

* THEN he had to repeat the achievement. Had he repeated the achievement without the change, it would have been less remarkable. Numerous people have done that. Some have done it three or four times in a row.

But NO ONE has ever done what Arraez did. (Hint: it has something to do with the uniform he wore).

Edited by Raf

THAT'S IT!
Not just two different teams, but two different leagues.

AL Batting champion in 2022

NL Batting champion in 2023.

ONE other person has done both, but not in consecutive years.

DC Comics is best known for two of its earliest costumed heroes, Superman and Batman.  There was a DC costumed crimefighter who first appeared between the initial appearances of Superman and Batman.  Who was he?  (A top hat and tuxedo don't count as a costume, so Zatara is out.)

George

Ok, I was about to say "Zatara" before you mentioned that.

This is really going back.   We're talking the Golden Age of comics.  And only DC.

So, everyone who was originally Fawcett (Shazam, Captain Marvel), Charlton (Captain Atom, Blue Beetle), Quality (Black Condor, the Human Bomb) who DC bought up later and gave their own Earth don't count. In fact, everybody on the "Public Domain Superheroes" website doesn't count because DC and Marvel both go to extremes to prevent copyright from lapsing.  (He had a strange dream that featured a hero whose copyright was going to lapse....) 

The oldest Golden Age superheroes- certainly with more costume than "hat. mask, coat" (or like Zatanna) tended to end up in the original Justice Society of America, so he (or she) probably ended up there. I have about 4 guesses of varying confidence, but I'm not going to start the round throwing all of them against the wall.   So, I'll start with one guess. 

Was it "WONDER WOMAN"?

"The 26-year-old Arraez became only the second player in the Modern Era to capture a batting title in both leagues, joining DJ LeMahieu (Rockies in 2016, Yankees in '20), and the first to do so in back-to-back seasons."

mlb.com

7 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Ok, I was about to say "Zatara" before you mentioned that.

This is really going back.   We're talking the Golden Age of comics.  And only DC.

So, everyone who was originally Fawcett (Shazam, Captain Marvel), Charlton (Captain Atom, Blue Beetle), Quality (Black Condor, the Human Bomb) who DC bought up later and gave their own Earth don't count. In fact, everybody on the "Public Domain Superheroes" website doesn't count because DC and Marvel both go to extremes to prevent copyright from lapsing.  (He had a strange dream that featured a hero whose copyright was going to lapse....) 

The oldest Golden Age superheroes- certainly with more costume than "hat. mask, coat" (or like Zatanna) tended to end up in the original Justice Society of America, so he (or she) probably ended up there. I have about 4 guesses of varying confidence, but I'm not going to start the round throwing all of them against the wall.   So, I'll start with one guess. 

Was it "WONDER WOMAN"?

No.  Wonder Woman appeared in 1941, two years after Batman.

This was a male character.  He was NOT in the Justice Society, though he was in another group (a few years after his first appearance).

George

*thinks*

Maybe he was in Law's Legionaires, or the Seven Soldiers of Victory.  The problem with some of that is retconning over the decades, so characters who once were in one group were remembered as never having been there, and others replaced them.  

Let's try this one.    I remember Seven Soldiers of Victory including "the Spider/alias the Spider" to retcon out Green Arrow being one of the Seven Soldiers.

Was this THE GREEN ARROW?

Green Arrow came later.  Interestingly, along with Superman, Batman (and Robin), and Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Green Arrow were the only two DC heroes to make it from the Golden Age to the Silver Age.

DC Comics is best known for two of its earliest costumed heroes, Superman and Batman.  There was a DC costumed crimefighter who first appeared between the initial appearances of Superman and Batman.  Who was he?  (A top hat and tuxedo don't count as a costume, so Zatara is out.)

For a number of reasons, this character is reminiscent of the Green Hornet.

George