GreaseSpot Cafe

Trivia about Movies, TV, Music, or anything to do with anything.

6 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Actually not red, but a synonym.

George

I was partway there, because I was remembering "Wing" and trying to remember who made up the Seven Soldiers of Victory.  Wing was the sidekick, but who was the hero?   If you remember Wing's costume (yellow with the red sunburst), you can remember whose costume was reversed.

This is The Crimson Avenger.

11 hours ago, WordWolf said:

I was partway there, because I was remembering "Wing" and trying to remember who made up the Seven Soldiers of Victory.  Wing was the sidekick, but who was the hero?   If you remember Wing's costume (yellow with the red sunburst), you can remember whose costume was reversed.

This is The Crimson Avenger.

It is, indeed.  First appeared in Detective Comics 20, a half year before Batman.

His early costume was like the Green Hornet's, only red.  He used guns, drove a cool car, and had a Chinese sidekick.

George

16 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

It is, indeed.  First appeared in Detective Comics 20, a half year before Batman.

His early costume was like the Green Hornet's, only red.  He used guns, drove a cool car, and had a Chinese sidekick.

George

I forget that.

The early success of "the Green Hornet" prompted copycats.  One, apparently, was the Crimson Avenger's original outfit.   The Sandman (Wesley Dodds)  probably qualifies too- with his gas gun and hat trench coat.  I saw something on TV where someone said he was told to make the first version of "the Blue Beetle" as an attempt to cash in on this.  Green Hornet... Blue Beetle.... in hindsight it's more obvious.  Except they didn't give him the trench coat and hat.

Both the Sandman and Crimson Avenger, IIRC, both ended up with more standard spandex after that. That's the costume I remember for the CA, the one Wing's yellow costume resembled.

One actor has spoken of how he got his stage name. He had the first name, but the last name he wanted was taken. He went for a walk, and saw a movie markee with a current movie's title displayed. He used part of that title for his last name.  He's said it was a good thing he walked in that direction. If he'd walked in the other direction, his stage last name would have been '101 Dalmatians.'

There's a number of prolific actors in Hollywood. (Not only that, but some have been in a lot of movies.) One of them retired within the last decade, and this question is about him.

One actor has spoken of how he got his stage name. He had the first name, but the last name he wanted was taken. He went for a walk, and saw a movie markee with a current movie's title displayed. He used part of that title for his last name.  He's said it was a good thing he walked in that direction. If he'd walked in the other direction, his stage last name would have been '101 Dalmatians.'

In either event, he definitely changed his first name, since his legal first name is "Maurice". As of the time of this question (I won't update if this changes), he was currently alive. 

There's a number of prolific actors in Hollywood. (Not only that, but some have been in a lot of movies.) One of them retired within the last decade, around age 90,  and this question is about him.

In either event, he definitely changed his first name, since his legal first name is "Maurice". As of the time of this question (I won't update if this changes), he was currently alive.   His legal name is "Maurice Joseph Mickelwhite." 

[I'd like to remind everyone that looking that up is CHEATING, so DON'T do it, please.]

Ah of course. This was Michael Dick, who saw Moby Dick.

Just kidding.

It was Michael Bounty  who saw Mutiny on the Bounty.

No? Wrong Mutiny?

Fine.

Michael Caine.

5 hours ago, Raf said:

Ah of course. This was Michael Dick, who saw Moby Dick.

Just kidding.

It was Michael Bounty  who saw Mutiny on the Bounty.

No? Wrong Mutiny?

Fine.

Michael Caine.

Correct.

"A friend of mine had invited me to his wedding. I was unable to attend, but later, he let me watch the movie that was filmed of the wedding, and d*ed if MICHAEL CAINE wasn't in it!  I mean, this guy...." (Dennis Miller)

Yes, the markee showed "THE CAINE MUTINY".  Maurice split his last name to "Michael White" but there already WAS a Michael White.  So, one walk later, he picked "Caine" as the last name.

• 2 weeks later...

While we wait.....

One celebrity learned- the hard way- not to be offended that something is knowable, and respond by throwing a public tantrum.  That only results in everyone trying to find what you're talking about- which means you ADVERTISED what you wanted left unknown.

This celebrity saw a number of photos of an area, and the photos included a number of houses. They became OUTRAGED that their house was included, since they didn't want its location known.  What did they do?  They made a public spectacle. Naturally, the public all began looking for it, and the result was the celebrity as good as announcing their street address online. 

Which celebrity was this?

While we wait.....

One celebrity learned- the hard way- not to be offended that something is knowable, and respond by throwing a public tantrum.  That only results in everyone trying to find what you're talking about- which means you ADVERTISED what you wanted left unknown.

This celebrity saw a number of photos of an area, and the photos included a number of houses. They became OUTRAGED that their house was included, since they didn't want its location known. (Even though none of the photos indicated whose house this was at all, and the photographer didn't know either.)  What did they do?  They made a public spectacle. Naturally, the public all began looking for it, and the result was the celebrity as good as announcing their street address online. 

This cause-and-effect situation has become known with the last name of this celebrity, because of this situation.

Which celebrity was this?

18 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Streisand?

George

CORRECT.

"The Streisand effect is an unintended consequence of attempts to hide, remove, or censor information, where the effort instead backfires by increasing public awareness of the information. The effect is named for American singer and actress Barbra Streisand, whose attempt in 2003 to suppress a photographer's publication of a photograph showing her clifftop residence in Malibu, California, taken to document coastal erosion in California, inadvertently drew far greater attention to the previously obscure photograph.["

"The Streisand effect is an example of psychological reactance, wherein once people are aware that some information is being kept from them, they are significantly more motivated to acquire and spread it."

That's courtesy of the wikipedia page on the effect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

Apparently, this oddity has occurred a few times in the NHL but only once in MLB:

What three brothers played for the same MLB team at the same time?  Extra credit: what team, and which positions did they play?  (FYI:  they weren't just on the roster at the same time, they were actually on the field together.)

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge
added boldface

What three brothers played for the same MLB team at the same time?   (FYI:  they weren't just on the roster at the same time, they were actually on the field together.)

No more extra credit.  They were all outfielders for the Giants in the early 60s.  AFAIK, none of them are in the Hall of Fame, but all were All-Stars at various times.  The son of one of them was also a major leaguer.

Any guesses?

George

All right.  It was the Alou brothers:  Felipe, Matty, and Jesus.  (FYI, Felipe's son Moises was a six-time NL All-Star, as well.)

Leaving baseball, let's try the Bible:

Everyone knows that the shortest verse in the Bible (KJV) is John 11:35 ("Jesus wept.")  What is the LONGEST verse in the Bible (KJV)?  If you don't know the chapter or verse, at least give the book.

George