GreaseSpot Cafe

How to Translate the Bible: Problems and Pitfalls

Nathan_Jr

This was a very quick 59:10 minutes! A fascinating discussion on how Bible translations come to be. (Hint: selling copies is not a factor, as victor paul wierwille claimed.)

Plus, hapax legomenon. I'm sure many here who study the Greek NT already know what this means, but for those who don't... listen to the pod.

No time to listen right now (going to work!) but wouldn't this be better in Open or Doctrinal?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Twinky said:

No time to listen right now (going to work!) but wouldn't this be better in Open or Doctrinal?

Maybe. But the same could be suggested for other current topics. It's not really doctrinal, it's technical, academic. It's about the Bible, which TWI claims to know better than anyone since the first century. It's about free, critical thought -- a theme running through several currently active threads in this forum. 

This podcast shows what one can learn when one chooses to go beyond what one is taught in PFAL. It deals with how translators work, how language changes, what textual criticism actually is. These are issues victor paul wierwille was afraid to address because of his ignorance. At least one sycophantic poster here is still very confused about these issues.

I don't think the Way International, Inc. or victor paul wierwille would want anyone to listen to such a podcast. Why wouldn't they? Devil spirits?

If you feel it's not relevant to this forum, make an appeal to a mod. It won't hurt my feelings.

Not bothered, just a thought.  Mods can decide if they wish.

I'll watch the podcast this evening.  Sounds interesting.

1 hour ago, Nathan_Jr said:

Maybe. But the same could be suggested for other current topics. It's not really doctrinal, it's technical, academic. It's about the Bible, which TWI claims to know better than anyone since the first century. It's about free, critical thought -- a theme running through several currently active threads in this forum. 

Its almost impossible to seperate the way international from it's doctrines...its who they are. I think it makes sense to move specific doctrinal topics to doctrinal, The Absent Christ for example. But this topic seems general enough to fit into a more generic category like About The Way.

I'm not sure how much I trust Bart Ehrman's handling of any subject, and I'm not interested in spending an hour to find out if MAYBE he's got it figured out correctly.  He's fumbled the ball before, and if I can refute him from my chair, then I don't think much of him as an "expert."