GreaseSpot Cafe

Bibliomancy

Bolshevik

In PFAL VPW described a guy pointing blindly to random verses for instruction on what to do with himself.  I remember one verse being "and Judas went out and hanged himself" and the next was "what though doest do quickly".  Or something like that.

Apparently, this is called Bibliomancy.  

1. A book is picked that is believed to hold truth.
  2. It is balanced on its spine and allowed to fall open.
  3. A passage is picked, with the eyes closed.

Not that different from how everything was done.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

In PFAL VPW described a guy pointing blindly to random verses for instruction on what to do with himself.  I remember one verse being "and Judas went out and hanged himself" and the next was "what though doest do quickly".  Or something like that.

Holy smokes, thats a real thing! I mean the Bible seems to work better if someone like....actually uses it as intended...I mean...just read that dang thing...:jump:.....its a book...not a...

Magic8Ball.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

The old joke was about a man who flipped through the Bible at random, put his finger down, and that verse was his guidance for the day. (Yes, technically, that's biblomancy.)  One day he arrived at Matthew 27:5b "and he went and hanged himself."  (vpw MISQUOTED the KJV there and quoted it "and Judas went and hanged himself", which is NOT in the KJV anywhere.)     The guy didn't like that, so he tried again and got Luke 10:37b "Then Jesus said to him, go and do thou likewise."      The guy tried a third time, and got John 13:27b "Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly."  (vpw misquoted the KJV again, "That which thou doest, do quickly.")