GreaseSpot Cafe

Sodom and Gomorrah

OldSkool

When a meteor strikes the earth, it leaves a crater at the point of impact. There is no crater at Sodom and Gomorrah. That's because the surface wasn't struck by a meteor. It exploded before it reached the surface, probably 2 or 3 miles above the earth. When this happens it causes what's called a cosmic airburst. On average, airbursts of this magnitude happen about once every thousand years, though as recently as 1908 a rather large one occurred in Siberia. Dozens of small meteors enter our atmosphere every day. Most burn up in the atmosphere, but a small percentage of them make it all the way to Earth's surface.

Edited by waysider
spelling

6 hours ago, waysider said:

When a meteor strikes the earth, it leave a crater at the point of impact. There is no crater at Sodom and Gomorrah. That's because the surface wasn't struck by a meteor. It exploded before it reached the surface, probably 2 or 3 miles above the earth. When this happens it causes what's called a cosmic airburst. On average, these happen about once every thousand years, though as recently as 1908 a rather large one occurred in Siberia. Dozens of small meteors enter our atmosphere every day. Most burn up in the atmosphere, but a small percentage of them make it all the way to Earth's surface.

Could be...but that doesnt explain how there are no sulpher "balls" in between the former cities but only where the former cities stood before being reduced to ashes.

Edited by OldSkool

Here's some information regarding meteor air bursts. (Bolides) The sulfur balls found at S & G are consistent with what is known about airburst debris.

As to the location of debris: No one really knows with pinpoint accuracy exactly where the cities stood. We do know they existed, though, because there is evidence of a vast civilization of possibly tens of thousands that was almost instantly destroyed.

As a side note: Science has ruled out both seismic and volcanic activity as a cause.

1 hour ago, waysider said:

Here's some information regarding meteor air bursts. (Bolides) The sulfur balls found at S & G are consistent with what is known about airburst debris.

As to the location of debris: No one really knows with pinpoint accuracy exactly where the cities stood. We do know they existed, though, because there is evidence of a vast civilization of possibly tens of thousands that was almost instantly destroyed.

As a side note: Science has ruled out both seismic and volcanic activity as a cause.

There's distinct groupings of ashed structures where the cities stood...exact location is attainable because u can see the remains if the ash structures. So a meoteor bursting over head still wouldn't account for no sulphur balls in between the cities. And they were spread out somewhat.

Are you aware that brimstones can be burned? Is it possible that, over time, people simply collected what was in the open and readily available to use as a source of heat? I don't know that to be the case but it certainly falls within the realm of possibility.

2 hours ago, waysider said:

Are you aware that brimstones can be burned? Is it possible that, over time, people simply collected what was in the open and readily available to use as a source of heat? I don't know that to be the case but it certainly falls within the realm of possibility.

I think it smells real bad when it burns.

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

I think it smells real bad when it burns

Having spent quite some time in the water industry, I'm well aware of what sulfur smells like. You'd be amazed at what people are willing to tolerate when their survival is in jeopardy.

Traveling across Ohio, Indiana, Illinois with my parents in my younger days, we would often stop at a rest stop that had sulfur saturated water. The main characteristic of it being what was described as a "rotten egg smell*. Luckily, if you held your nose, it tasted like normal water.

Also, as an aside, that's how Fabreze works': it prevents the sulfur atoms from binding to the molecule. So I guess every obnoxious odor has a sulfur atom.

Edited by So_crates

5 hours ago, waysider said:

Whatever is clever. I guess it could be anything except what scripture actually says it is: God destroyed those cites and the evidence is in plain sight. I posted the vid for these types of discussions though. Good stuff.

• Upvote 1