GreaseSpot Cafe

nice script on the water and fire baptism sirguessalot

tried so hard for so many years with books and books running out of my ears, like cleaning the outside of the pitcher, while inside is a fuse waiting to be lit, tried it my way then I started listening

anyways, always cool to converse with everyone here, open hearts

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 1:31 PM, WordWolf said:

Often, I would say.

However, since Oldiesman posts here, and he's currently a Roman Catholic, and this is not an RCC survivor's messageboard, there's no compelling reason to take shots at his denomination.  Let's consider posting with a little kindness, instead. 

(I'm not in complete accord with the RCC myself, but I don't have to just load the old shotgun whenever they're mentioned.  Even if I am EX-RCC.)

Dude I was expanding upon a question of how the RC church came up with purgatory, not taking shots at someone who may have a profile on this sites denomination.  What I said was pretty much the RC MO in that period of time and their own disclose this also.  No RC I know including extended family gets highly offended over the RC history through the ages.

Let’s consider the thinness of the skin when we are bringing up kindness.  When you get paranoid and attack that is not kindness.

Accept accommodate integrate.  Oooooooo it’s so offensive.  Christmas?  Easter?  10000 other pagan customs assimilated?  What active RC is highly offended over those 3 words?  I doubt the pope himself would be offended at that description.

I guess the question goes to why are you so offended then?

On 2/12/2024 at 6:48 AM, chockfull said:

So with RC history the pattern seems to be accept, accommodate, and integrate.  An intermediate state between death and judgement keeps the followers in dynamic tension allowing for a greater level of control.  Do good?  Pay your toll?  You advance.  Don’t pay your toll?  Everlasting hellfire buddy!

I could be wrong but I've got the impression that first comes the personal judgment, then Jesus sends you to purgatory to pay for the venial sins.    One of the first questions or doubts I had about it was:   when Jesus sends you to purgatory for a time, how the hell can the saints pray you out of Jesus's personal sentence for you?   LOL.   That was when someone told me about the magic of the "community of saints".   I'm still batting this around in my head.

3 minutes ago, oldiesman said:

I could be wrong but I've got the impression that first comes the personal judgment, then Jesus sends you to purgatory to pay for the venial sins.    One of the first questions or doubts I had about it was:   when Jesus sends you to purgatory for a time, how the hell can the saints pray you out of Jesus's personal sentence for you?   LOL.   That was when someone told me about the magic of the "community of saints".   I'm still batting this around in my head.

Thx for the correction on the RC doctrine.  I certainly have a less detailed understanding of that than you do.  I’ve discussed some of teachings with relatives.

Isnt there coherence between this and the process for sainthood?  Those candidates bypass Purgatory and go directly to heaven?

Do all other denominations subscribe to the either direct resurrection of souls to be with God or the soul sleep doctrine that the Way has?

On 2/14/2024 at 8:21 AM, chockfull said:

Do all other denominations subscribe to the either direct resurrection of souls to be with God or the soul sleep doctrine that the Way has?

good question, and pretty deep, whatever happens is going to happen, that much is certain