GreaseSpot Cafe

My turn

outintexas

Texasbro',

Wow...(pun not intended)...what a story. It took alot of courage and tell your story like that. You should be proud of yourself.

It's a freaken' miracle any of us survived that bloody outfit called The Way. With all the treachery, humiliation, vendictiveness, evil and harsh attacks that any of us have anything left of our lives.

Glad to see you're outta there...still working at it and making a loving home for your beautiful children. You should be so very proud of yourself.

I found it amazing when you said that your therapist told you had the emotional maturity of about a 16 yr old. I found that fascinating because, if I'm not mistaken you were about this age when you entered TWI right?

My husband recently told me that he believes that from the time he entered TWI at the age of 23 til he left TWI...about 3 yrs ago ( I mean...dewaybraining after we found GS) ... his emotional side was stunted. In someways he feels that he's finally continuing his journey that he left some 30 yrs ago.

Thank you again for all your honesty and your story. It was very well written. You and your sister should collaborate and write something someday!!! I'd read it for sure!!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got into twi when I was 17.

I feel like an emotional Rip Van Winkle. I am truly a late bloomer. I'm going through the self-discovery phase now that most people do in their 20s. Fortunately I look about 15 years younger than my 48 years. When I start talking about my kids (20, 15 and 14) people look at me funny and say, "you must have gotten started early", but I was 27 when my oldest was born. Maybe it's a Twilight Zone thing. Look, there's Rod Serling in the corner with his cigarette...

I do want to add - and I can't believe I've waited so long to say this - that Greasespot has been a huge source of therapy. The quantity and quality of discussion is amazing. If it were not for Greasespot, the whole twi experience would seem much more like a nightmare that I experienced alone. Knowing that so many others are going through the same recovery is very comforting. Y'all are really funny, too!

quote:
Originally posted by outandabout:

I never knew you had to do that scheduling thing.

That's pretty absurd, if you think about it.

Even more absurd. . .We had to report our weekly outreach numbers. [How many people we witnessed to]

The numbers were usually low. The only numbers that could have been lower would be "How many times have you really been blessed in TWI over the past ten years?" (or longer)

Texasbro',

quote:
I can't believe I've waited so long to say this - that Greasespot has been a huge source of therapy. The quantity and quality of discussion is amazing. If it were not for Greasespot, the whole twi experience would seem much more like a nightmare that I experienced alone. Knowing that so many others are going through the same recovery is very comforting.

Nice thing to say about GS. It is very very true! I found it therapeutic as well and addictive at times too! icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

And the funny part... oh please say that I'm one of da' funny ones icon_biggrin.gif:D--> please please please!!

Yes Ala, you are one of the funny ones.

Thank yall Texans as well. Your stories give me hope for my family. I agree on GSpot being therapeutic. It has helped me express myself clearer, think more seriously about things, as well as become more honest and aware of what I was once apart of in twi. All of which has helped me realise who I am and who I was all along.

• 3 weeks later...

quote:
Originally posted by outintexas:

I do want to add - and I can't believe I've waited so long to say this - that Greasespot has been a huge source of therapy. The quantity and quality of discussion is amazing. If it were not for Greasespot, the whole twi experience would seem much more like a nightmare that I experienced alone. Knowing that so many others are going through the same recovery is very comforting. Y'all are really funny, too!

oit, I've read both yours and your sister's experiences, thank you both for writing them. Mine were NOTHING like that. I began as a leaf and stayed a leaf until I left in '88ish with almost our entire state. It took me a long time to realize how much it had affected me. I think one thing that set me up for a delayed fall big time was being taught that there was one right way to read and interpret the bible and that The Way had it. I already knew that I felt betrayed and alone when all but one leader left our area and the rest of us high and dry, the other hit me a few years later. icon_frown.gif:(-->

Thanks again for sharing icon_smile.gif:)-->

Just a note oit, It took me years before I would shared with people that I was part of TWI. Very few know about that, even to this day. But, a little over 5 years ago I fell in love. I told him that I had been part of TWI...he didn't bat an eye wink2.gif;)-->

gc

• 4 months later...