GreaseSpot Cafe

Memphis

AdiosMiCorazon

Adios,

That's great! We'll all get together so you can taste Carol's potato salad and my bar-be-qued ribs and chicken! If it looks like it's really gonna' happen, click on my name and get my e-mail address. I can clue you in on good places to live and places to avoid. Memphis isn't a sleepy little town anymore. The metro area is over a million population, now.

Actually, you'll be in Millington, no? Now, that is a sleepy little town full of country boys and souped up cars. More muffler shops in Millingtom than the rest of the state put together. Hee-hee! But the rest of the area is pretty metropolitan. Lots of ethnic restaurants (have you guys ever eaten Thai or authentic Cuban food?) and all kinds of cultural goings on. We have the fastest growing Hispanic population in the state and some of the Mexican restaurants are to die for!

We have all your usual artsy bohemian spots as well as the tourist (read "Elvis" and "blues") sites. I think you might like it here if you can put up with the Summer heat. But as they say around here... it ain't the heat... it's the stupidity. (G)

sudo

Adios

I grew up in Memphis, but left when I went away to college and haven't lived there since. But it was a great place to grow up. We lived out East, and Memphis has changed so much in the past couple of decades since I lived there, especially out East, I can hardly navigate there anymore.

Sudo, I can't believe it's been about 4 years since we've visited. Now that Mom and Dad don't live there anymore, we just never get there. I miss it though. My brother Mike still travels there once a month or so on business, and he keeps me supplied with Corky's barbeque sauce, and Rendezvous dry rub.

Who do you think has the best barbeque?? I think Corky's for pork shoulder, and Redezvous for ribs, although Mom says Gridley's ribs are better.

Most of my high school friends who are still there live in Cordova, although I've always loved Midtown (my high school stompin grounds) and thought I'd like to live there instead of suburbia if we ever moved back.

The other day, my neighbor and I ran into someone at the neighborhood coffee shop, who has moved here from Memphis, and he said the base at Millington is closed now. Hard to believe.

Ah, memories.........

AHAT,

We are in your neck of the woods once or twice a year when we go to NC to see Carol's family. I've thought about ringing some of you East TN folks up but we're usually making breakneck speed to make the trip at one sitting. Man, East TN is some gorgeous country! I've got an open invitation out, though, for anyone lolly gagging through Memphis to give me a call. I'd love to meet some GS'ers face to face.

Ex10, You might not believe this but I prefer Tops barbeque for sandwiches. I was raised on the stuff and don't particulary care for all the sweet sauces that are so popular here now. I like the old vinegar based sauces. You might know this already but remember Tom and Linda Mausolf? They divorced some time ago and she is now married to Art Polling but she was raised in Memphis and her daddy owned the Tops Barbeque restaurants!

I've found that if I want ribs done "right" I have to do them myself as I don't care for what you get in the restaurants around here. I'd have to agree with your mom that Gridley's is probably the best of the lot. Did you know they put cumin in their beans, though? Tastes funky to me.

I guess we Memphians take our barbecue pretty seriously, huh? (G)

sudo

Sorry to derail the thread. Sudo, next time you and Carol head over this way, let me know and I can meet ya most anywhere on I-40 east of Knox.

There are Cracker Barrels at exits 398 and 435. The last one is about 10 miles from the NC state line. Would love ta meet ya!

Ahem........Now back to our regularly scheduled topic.

AHAT

I know my own mind....it's around here somewhere.

Thank you all so much for your replies.

Sudo, I checked with hubby and it is definately Memphis and not that other place. We have heard horror stories of that other place.

I live in and artsie city area that I just love and I am excited that Memphis is such a town. I totally forgot about Graceland. (thanks for the link Excathedra) I always wanted to go there. Elvis was my Mom's first love. (not in real life she lived in Puerto Rico, he lived in Germany...sigh...Oceans apart)

Memphis is hubby's second option if he does not get his first. I can't tell you what his first is. I can tell you that I will not see him for a year. ! So I am hoping for Memphis.

At any rate, we might have to go Memphis to pick up his orders. If we do, we should all meet! I would love to eat some Tenn. Barbeque.

Ahat, you are not derailing this thread. I enjoyed you and Sudo's conversation. I hope you all get to meet soon.

Thanks for your memories Ex10.

Anyone want to add anything else?

****largest hispanic community...Yippie...I can have a chance to speak Spanish. If you do not use it you lose it.

AHAT,

Re:"Sudo, next time you and Carol head over this way, let me know and I can meet ya most anywhere on I-40 east of Knox.."

Here's what we do.. we go through Knoxville and then hit I-81 North. We then get on I-77 past Wythville, VA and come down south into NC. Would there be an exit just out of Knoxville that would be close to you? We'll for sure be coming through at Thanksgiving. Ah! I love the Smokies in the Fall!

sudo

There's one on 398 Which is Stawberry Plains Pike just out of Knoxville on I-40, or there is exit #8 White Pine/Morristown on I-81. Both are convenient for me.

Where does Carol's family hail from?

AHAT

Geeze, you guys are making me homesick.

Although I grew up in Memphis, I spent my college daze at UT Knoxville. I've always wanted to go back sometime and visit the campus again, just never had the chance to be in that part of the country once more. The closest I've gotten is Nashville, where I have some family.

Sudo, I too, grew up on Tops barbeque. Mr. Lawson was one of Dad's accounts, and he was often in his store over on Quince? or was it Rhodes? It was very sad when he passed away. Funny thing, but I knew Linda for years before we ever figured out that our families knew each other. We have a family connection through marriage. I did hear recently that she had married Art Poling when I posted something in the friend finder. I hope she is doing well.

Funny, but last week-end we were all at my brother's house and we had this big discussion about cumin in the beans, and the best recipe for mustard slaw. Too funny!

We Memphians do take our barbeque seriously. After all, it is THE MAJOR FOOD GROUP.

I'm thinking about maybe driving to Memphis this summer to visit my aunt, and to dance to the house band at BB King's. Hubby and I LOVE going there for the music, and of course to hear Miss Ruby sing.

I think the perfect night out in Memphis is dinner at the Rendezvous, dancing at BB's, then coffee and cheesecake at the bistro in the Peabody. It's all the better if you can get a suite at the Peabody.

Maybe I should plan this for our 20th anniversary in July? We spent our honeymoom at the Peabody.

Hope you guys work it out to get together. What fun!

The more the merrier. There's nothin better than a bunch of tables pushed together at the Cracker Barrel.

AHAT

[This message was edited by AHAT on June 23, 2002 at 15:43.]

Oooh!!

This could really work out. In fact, we'll be coming through in July as well. We'll probably be leaving mid day on July 19th and staying around Sevierville for the night. Problem is we could be getting in kinda' late. What you guys think? Why don't ya'll e-mail me at: dbdbdb@midsouth.rr.com. We'll see if we can't make plans!

sudo

ex10th,

Re:"Maybe I should plan this for our 20th anniversary in July? We spent our honeymoon at the Peabody."

No kidding? Well, get this.. Carol and I also honeymooned at the Peabody! We also got married there in 1985.. on Pearl Harbor Day! I kid around and say that's a date that will live in infamy. Hee-hee!

This was back in the days that we were both "in", of course, and Rev. John Hill performed the ceremony. It was simply great! We got married in the Continental Ballroom and had the reception in the Nathan Bedford room complete with a band that could play anything from swing to top 40. Ummm.. had hot food and an open bar for everyone, too. In fact... I'm pretty sure your parents were there. Heck, nearly everybody else in the branch was there.

Hey! If you're going to be in town in July, why don't you give us a call? We're in the phonebook in Germantown.

sudo

Yes I remember that wedding.... I was there too...

wait... yes... I was IN THE WEDDING!!! wore a tux an everything... An sudo was playin the piano!!!

An doin a damn fine job of it too!!!

Yes I remember Memphis.... (home o da KING, the king lives!!) If Girdleys has better ribs than the Rondevous I'll just have to get some cause the 'vous HAD the best.

ex10 I'll never forget the night your dad took us and Dan and Linda Strutker there for ribs, walked past 100 people in line like he owned the place an Charlie Vargas walked us to a table like we were VIP's. Well I guess being with your dad I think that made us vip's after all.

Memphis has the last good memories I have of twi. That was a great year and a good time. Sudo; do you see any of that crew anymore???

"walkin in Memphis... walking with my feet 10 feet of the ground... walkin in Memphis..."

great song!

Al,

Re:"An sudo was playin the piano!!!

An doin a damn fine job of it too!!!"

You flatter me, my man, but yes.. I do have a musical background. So you remember that wedding, huh? I remember you had to string the chairs, just to make sure it was all done properly, too. Nothing like Corps training, eh? Now here's some pics you might remember.. first one is me at the wedding..

sudowed.jpg

....and next one is a groupshot including YOU!!! Now are you going to 'fess up as to which one is you??

groupwed.jpg

sudo

P.S. The little boy (Carol's nephew) is now a college graduate and 22 years old. My how time flies!

Hey Sudo,

Did you have any family member in TWI? You look like this guy who dated my evil WOW sister. He was from Ten., red head, very handsome, and had the cutest accent. (Oh and he looks like you.) I never met anyone from the south before and I could listen to him talk forever when he visited us in Arizona. Gosh I can't remember his name!!!!! Anyway, my evil WOW sister broke his heart. I was so mad at her because he was such a doll.

Hey ladies,

Ya'll are just giving me the big head. I was looking in here this morning and saw I omitted something and now feel like a jerk. I didn't post a pic of the star of the wedding... the bride!

So while I'm waiting for Just Call Me 'Al' to show up here's the bride and groom..

carolwed.jpg

sudo