GreaseSpot Cafe

Band of Gold

Danny

I have been asked a few times so I better get this done.

Do any of you know the words to the song Band of Gold? And are you willing to share them with me? It could be a special thanks and a lot of grief on my part. Not unless you want to see my cast to the untermostpart. Then you won't share.

quote:
Originally posted by Danny:

Do any of you know the words to the song Band of Gold?

I vaguely remember a song by that name - from circa early 1980s. I probably still have the cassette the song (the one I'm thinking of) was on. The one I'm thinking of was sung by a male vocalist with guitar or other musical accompaniment. Might have time in a week or so to dig it out.

Per

Geeze Danny... just stick it in a search engine.. ain't hard...

Artist: Fredda Payne Lyrics

Song: Band of Gold Lyrics

Now that you've gone

All that's left is a band of gold

All that's left are the dreams I hold

Band of gold

And the memories of what love could be

If you were still here with me

You took me from the shelter of my mother

I have never known or loved another

We kissed after taking vows

That night on our honeymoon

We stayed in separate rooms

I wait in the darkness of my lonely room

Filled with sadness filled with gloom

Hoping soon

That you'll walk back through that door

And love me like you tried before

Now that you've gone

Band of gold

And memories of what love could be

Don't you know that I wait

In the darkness of my lonely room

Hoping soon

Thta you'lol walk back through that door

Since you've been gone

Band of gold

And the memories of what love could be

I wait in the darkness of my lonely room

Hoping soon

That you'll walk back through that door

sudo who_me.gif

Sudo you are the KING. Or you live close to where the King use to live?

This is for a deal at the Methodist Church. I guess they would understand the part at the hotel room with the memory of love could hold.

I'm thinking I'm looking for the version that was played in Twi. Maybe Dean Ellenwood I could be way off on the player.

Man great song now i have to add that to my cloection.

One day I will be computer smart.

its on my list.

Please save me from the wrath of the deep / that means the look when you didn't get it done.

Band of Gold was written by Steve Axtell of the 8th Corps. He was known jokingly amongst some of us as Steve Axtell, "The Singing Naval".

He is a graduate of the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland, and commanded a surface vessel in the US Navy. He also married a very beautiful and sweet Tenth Corps Sister of mine, Suzy Wassung. What a lucky guy!

Dr. Wierwille used to get him to sing this particular song whenever he could get him to do it. Steve never declined of of course, for Steve was a man who honored VPW as his CO (Commanding Officer).

The words escape me in their entirety, but they went something like this:

"We were like the gold dust in the bottom of the river bed of life,

unwanted by the world, and caught up in all the sin and strife....

And I am sorry, but I do not remember the rest...

But, on the album "Fishers Of Men" by Good Seed, there is a rendition of the same song, with a little bit of an adaptation to it.

Maybe Socks knows a little more about this song than I do.

I must say that this song means a lot to me and I loved it very much. It was a beautiful song and very much from the heart of a man who loved God, our good old "Singing Naval" Leutenant Commander Steve Axtell...

God bless you Steve, and thank you for serving our wonderful country, and, for singing that song...

Danny, if you see "Socks" around the GS Cafe, just ask him how you might come up with Good Seed's version of this song. I don't think that Steve Axtell recorded it as Good Seed did, and their version of it certainly did it justice. So, try to find Socks, and maybe he can guide you in the right direction. I think that your Baptist Church would be very blessed to hear this song...

Here's a great site for looking up music info... http://www.letssingit.com/

In the upper right-hand corner, you can do a search by artist, title, or part of a lyric (be sure to pick what you are searching for from the drop-down list next to the search box).

I have used this site a million times when all I can remember is half a phrase, and I get the full title, artist and lyrics. It's great!!

We were like the gold dust in the bottom of the river bed of life

Unoticed by the world around, caught up in all the torrents and strife,

Mingled with the grains of sand and wanted by the world, drifting into the currents of the stream.

Till the Master Minner panned us out from all the sand around us, and placed within our hearts and lives a dream.

With every tiny grain of gold He finds His loving eyes get filled with joy.

For each one means the world to Him and for that one He'll search and search for years.

Andwhen it's found, the Master jewler knows where it should go and sets it there, tobuild His golden band.

Bound together by God's love with all His power from above, that band of gold incomposses the land.

So steadfast and patiently He's sifting all the world through His pan.

Gathering all the gold He knew was there, before the world began.

Not daunted or discouraged, for He knows He'll find it all

He's the only Master of His trade

Yes the Master Minner found us and He's working all aound us

Rests only when His masterpiece is made.

God's the Master Minner, God's the jewler, God's the power from above.

Together we're the band of gold established in God's household by Christ's love.

The glory of the gold not seen while it's yet in the sand,

But mounted in the ring out of the stream

It's glory ever brighter glows over all the world it grows

That band of gold which started as God's dream.

I hope this is the one you are looking for. I had to translate it from my hubbys interesting writing. Sorry we don't have the music to it. But hubby sings and plays his guitar just for me. wink2.gif;)-->

Yeah, that's it. I was in a ministry band that played it; we had 4 part harmony, Beach Boys style. Lot of the believers seemed to like our version of it, but Suzy Wassung was a WOW in STL her interim year and that Christmas there was a party at someone's house and Steve was there and he played that song...MAN, he could even get his guitar to sound like a softly flowing stream, or the suggestion of it. Singing navel, huh? Never heard about that one.

Actually, the 3rd line in the first verse should be UNwanted by the world, not 'and wanted'.

quote:
Singing navel, huh? Never heard about that one.

Not "navel" as in belly button, but "Naval" as in the United States Navy.

Dr. Wierwille, used to introduce him as "Steve Axtell, our own singing Naval Officer!"

And so, some of us, at least in my circle of friends, called him "our own singing Naval"...

We have a couple CDs from 'Good seed' which we like very much.

There was a time that 'Paul Norcross' was the 'military outreach coordinator at HQ'; and during another discussion here, 'Steve Axtell's name was brought up under the same context. So my question was did Steve Axtell ever function as "military outreach Co" at HQ?

Being a sucessful Naval Officer is usually a 120% of your time and focus kind of job, but from that previous conversation I got the impression that he might have functioned for TWI at some point.

I never had occassion to meet either Norcross or Axtell during my limited exposure to TWI, I was just curious.