GreaseSpot Cafe

Tivo

Jim

Anyone else own one?

I bought my wife a Tivo for Christmas when they first came out. I got the lifetime subscription service and after the warranty expired, I upgraded it with a bigger hard drive. She's always loved it as it fit her viewing habits perfectly.

Last summer I bought a used Series 1 Tivo on ebay (with a lifetime subscription) for the set in my bedroom. I added an ethernet adapter to it so that I could control it and suck off the video files from my home network.

I bought another one on ebay and put it on the tv in the living room. It also has ethernet and can be controlled from my computer at home or at work.

The irony here is that I don't even watch much tv. What I want is to make sure I record the shows I *want* to see and to be able to zip through the commercials. Tivo is perfect for that. I see no point in having a tv without Tivo.

For the two I bought on ebay I paid $270-$290 each including shipping. These were Series 1 Sony Tivos with lifetime subscriptions. I think they were both upgraded, but I don't remember by how much.

If you'd like any other information, send me an email. It's in my profile.

we have one with directv... don't know what we did without it... it's a great convenience... mine however is an older model, only 35 hours but that's plenty, we watch and then we delete, no big deal... I had been a directv customer for about 2 years and one of the receivers went out, when I called for another, the lady offered me a tivo for $55 and said they'd install for free (this was when the unit was going for about $99 at BestBuy)... the guy installed it, ran some new lines for me and even swapped out my two satellite dish for a three satellite one! ...I don't think that was too bad for $55...

...now I'm looking for a DVD recorder with a hard drive... it's only a matter of time...

We just got a DVR, and we love it. Cindy! doesn't have to miss Dr. Phil any more.

As far as the kids waiting for a commercial - we only got 1 DVR box, and it's attached to the TV upstairs, and the kids are allowed to watch the downstairs TV. But I still make them "Do it now!" regardless of the progress of the TV show - if I let them wait for a commercial, the task would never get done.

I have DVR but am thinking about switching to Tivo cause my cable company (Time Warner) keeps telling me that I can store 35 hrs. on the DVR hard drive when I can only store around 25 hrs.

I'm now on my 3rd DVR machine because of this apparent problem. But DVR only costs me $8.95 per month to rent, and the machine itself is free.

Am I correct in saying that one must buy their Tivo machine outright (around $99.00) and then pay for the subscription service, which runs around $12.95 a month?

quote:
Am I correct in saying that one must buy their Tivo machine outright (around $99.00) and then pay for the subscription service, which runs around $12.95 a month?

That's correct. But you can also purchase a lifetime subscription. It's a big chunk of change at once, but cheaper in the long run since you don't get nickle-and-dimed every month.

Note that the "lifetime subscription" is for the lifetime of the Tivo box, not the owner. This means that you can pick up boxes on ebay that have the lifetime subscription and will work as-such with no hassles. I've done that twice.

my Tivo is complimentary because we have the "premium package" (read "we pay out the arse) of direct tv... Oldies... ask them to give you one, or give you a deal like they do the new subscribers since you're a loyal customer...

better yet, get rid of that cable and come into the 21st centure... satellite...

Hey Tom, I am thinking just that. Only problem is, I live in a co-op, and they have very strict rules for where the dish can be. The dish can't be on the roof. It must abide on a part of the window and window sill that belongs to me. So it would depend on whether I can get a good signal from where the dish must be installed.

I'm going to wait till I get a little more fed up with cable and then try to make my move to satellite.