GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI and Friends...or lack of friends...

MCarroll

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in TWI for 25 years. I have one real friend. I got him involved in TWI and then we both left around the same time. The unfortunate thing is we live in different towns. We still talk on the phone on a regular basis. I would go so far as to say we would do just about anything for each other.

Our friendship goes back to diapers and then through school.... then TWI. He sponsored me both times I went through the Corps. We will probably be speakers at one or the other's funeral/memorial service (spouses permitting) But any other friends have been hard to find.

A good friend is hard to find

Harder to bid farewell.

Impossible to forget.

When one loses a spouse he is a widow or a widower. When parent are lost, an orphan is left.

There is no word for one who has lost a friend -- certainly he is not friendless because other friends are there.

A friend brings heaven to earth for us -- laughter, for the good times and for the bad times, kindness shared.

When one loses a friend there is a gap, a hole in the heart and life that cannot be filled until we see them again. Then we will get a full taste of "heavenly."

My very best friend since childhood died suddenly 2 years ago, this July 4th.

I could write alot about it, but just want to say the hole it left in my life is enormous, and does not diminish over time. There is something about that relationship that is unique and irreplaceable.

That is so true, Kit.

My heart aches for the friends I've lost. The TWI connections ended-flat-when I left. I have made feeble attempts to reconnect in the past twenty years, but there is always an unspoken "thing" hanging there. From innies-clipped responses and a clear signal of "don't call us, and we won't call you". From outies-well, until Greasespot, the few attempts made were in the early years after departing, and they were so hurt themselves (and/or left for different reasons than I) that the attempts just fizzled.

Since that time, my "friends" revolved around connections at work or the various places I lived. Work changes, I move into a new position and a new city-start all over. I did make two friends (both work related) which crossed over into meeting their family and friends, but lost both of them within two years of each other-one to a heart attack and one to suicide.

So, I've crawled into a little cocoon of self preservation, and only stick my head out occasionally. Doesn't exactly make me a social butterfly, but sends out a signal to others-work with her, but you can't really get to know her.

Will it change? Maybe if I allow it to, but for now, I've kinda sent myself to my room. Talking to cyber friends here helps somewhat, but it also allows me to keep the cocoon intact.

After being kicked out of twi in 95, we moved to Reno. And after a particularly dreary time "You have no friends when it comes to the Word" seemed to be a living reality -- this was before the solace offerred by WayDale and the Cafe.

It was in a dreary parking lot of Reno Walmart, the gray and brown colors blowing around in a harsh dusty wind, bringing the landscape into my face. "This is like hell. Reno is just like hell." I said in my heart.

"This isn't hell because your friends are here," was the response of the Lord.

And so it's been. With the great comfort of friendship, life goes on. And the cyber friends here at the Cafe have been a blessing beyond words, for which I am most thankful.

(It takes being a friend to find the friend God has for us.)

Hoping you find yours, and the comfort of heart they bring.

In hope,

((((andy and jard)))) I am sorry.

Kit what an apt description of life outside of twi in the beginning.....and So true....it DOES take time of being a friend..... that is what makes a genuine friend such a treasure.

Greasespot ...geeeeze thank God ..... has been wonderfull in opening avenues of friendship during the years I was secluded in my home.....tied down with pregnancies and nursing babies :)

Hey, McCarr!

Welcome to the Family!

We are Family!

Marked and Avoided are WE!

We are Family!

All my brothers and sisters are FREE!

We are Family!

We were blind but now See!

We are Family!

I'm running out of stuff to rhyme

with Fam-il-ee!

Yeah, Yeah, yeah...

Hey McCarr!

Just having fun...really! I know where you are coming from more than you know.

Wait, just been handed a restraining order to stop singing online at Greasespot. I'm not marked and avoided here but my singing is.

Wait, I've received another notice to return to duty by President Bush. I am going to Iraq to entertain insurgents behind enemy lines.

This just in. President Bush has stopped my draft into the Iraqi war. Apparently they said that if I am sent to sing to them, they would retaliate by sending Cindy Sheehan to entertain us.

I think we gave in.