GreaseSpot Cafe

The Way Corps Chalet revisited

pjroberge

Quality - Job #1. I got to enter the chalet once ... only because I supposedly eff'd something up (which I didn't) & was in need of personal crucifiction, err, consolation, I mean, by the love of the man who spoke for God.

Sure glad I contributed to this ediphus ...

• 1 year later...

I thought Bo & Stanley Rearhard contributed a significant amount of funds to the building of the 'corps chalet.' In fact, as long-time staffers, I thought they were building this house for themselves, & yet it was 'stolen' from them?

When Bo and Stanley became engaged many moons ago, VPW made a gift to young Bo of a spot of land in the woods where he used to pitch his tent, and tend the campfire during his time in residence. The spot had always been special to Bo. VP told Bo and Stanley they were welcome to build their dream home on that land if they wanted. Funny arrangement, though. The house would belong to Bo and Stanley, but the land still belonged to The Way. I suspect this was the kind of arrangement VP once proposed for Wayfers at Gunnison, that no one took him up on: You can use your money to build the house on the land, and use it like a time-share, but when you die, the property goes lock stock & barrel to Der Veg. Check with Bo and Stanley on this, but I believe this was the rough arrangement, as told to me at the time (roughly 1973-74) by Stanley's aunt. It was VP's wedding gift to them.

So Bo and Stanley designed the home and had it built WITH THEIR OWN MONEY, and enjoyed it for many years, allowing TWI to "use" it during times they were assigned to on-the-field positions. I'm sure that being young, they either didn't totally understand what was being offerred to them, or at least never dreamed they'd be shut out of the home they PAID FOR WITH THEIR OWN MONEY. But when they were no longer welcome at The Way, they were ALSO no longer welcome to use the home THEY PAID FOR. Yes, it was STOLEN from them.

This is not The Corps Chalet, though. The Corps Chalet is a separate larger building, just a little further down the same road. THAT one was stolen from The Way Corps.

I worked on it for about a week. A group of my Corps and I (the Tenth) had hitched to HQ from The Big E, and I was assigned to work with Dana King. I was proud to put on my carpenters tool belt bag and work with Way Builder guys. They were good at what they did, and it was my first experience as a Way Builder. Dana and I were putting down the oak hardwood floor, and at one point a group of my own Corps came through on a tour, and I was proud to be there with Dana putting down the T and G oak hardwood floor as they came through. I was only 22, and proud be working with men like Dana.

And after we had gotten about three quarters of the floor done, shooting it down with pneumatic finish nail guns, Mrs. Wierwille came through with a couple of her "Designing Women", she looked at the floor and the work we had done, and instead of the compliment that I thought was coming, she said otherwise. Without an acknowedgement of us, she looked at this Designing Woman and said; "Oh no, this will never do. The wood has a "v cut" where it meets the next piece, and the wax will build up there. This floor has to come up". And they continued on as Dana and I stared at each other in sort of a state of shock.

As you can imagine, it was hard on our moral as we ripped up and splintered and demolished that beautiful and expensive oak hardwood floor. I left to hitch hike back to The Big E even before the new material arrived, so I never even saw what was put down later. I was pretty disgusted by the destruction of a perfectly good floor on a moments whim...

she looked at the floor and the work we had done, and instead of the compliment that I thought was coming, she said otherwise. Without an acknowedgement of us, she looked at this Designing Woman and said; "Oh no, this will never do. The wood has a "v cut" where it meets the next piece, and the wax will build up there. This floor has to come up". And they continued on as Dana and I stared at each other in sort of a state of shock.

As you can imagine, it was hard on our moral as we ripped up and splintered and demolished that beautiful and expensive oak hardwood floor...I was pretty disgusted by the destruction of a perfectly good floor on a moments whim...

Wow, Mrs. W wasn't perfect then, was she? :evildenk:

Seriously though, this is a perfect example of someone high up in TWI making a decision based on little or no genuine knowledge.

Edited by Oakspear

Seriously though, this is a perfect example of someone high up in TWI making a decision based on little or no genuine knowledge.

Oak - "Rarely" do I venture out of the doctrinal dungeon - and I would feel badly if you thought that what you said was egregious enough to PRY me out of the cellar... (truth be known, I like your posts and your "high road"-without-being-a-condecending-sob-snob... attitude) :blink:

Sounds to me like Mrs. W. was displaying quite the "with it" corporate attitude... :evildenk:

I think Jonny's story of the floor is a "perfect example" of quintessential BAD corporate leadership... which is probably the reason that LOY can't get a job running Fed-Ex - :D

Mrs. W. established "WHO" was in control upon Entry to the room - no idle chit-chat (Rule #1 in corporate FEAR Setting Style)

She established her displeasure with her "underlings" by not even asking for THEIR thoughts about the choice... (Maybe Sarah M./P. ??) (Rule #2 in coprprate FEAR Style: Dismiss any OPPORTUNITY to discuss any and all contradictory ideas)

She established that there was no COST too great - or EFFORT too great - that could POSSIBLY stand against a simple spoken wish of the man or woman of God... Economy takes a back seat to any leader's whim - Way Corps work program reality - 101! (Rule #3 in Corporate FEAR setting - there is NO COST as HIGH as the leader's displeasure!!)

I htink this was a suprise attack of the Way's REAL "corporate" philosophy - I say suprise because it was upon Jonny L. and Dana King (and if you ever met him... you would NOT want to disagree just based upon his stature! - believe me... the SAFEST strategy would be to ignore his presence in a room - if you could - which she did) :unsure:

And yes, that last comment:

"I say suprise because it was upon Jonny L. and Dana King (and if you ever met him... you would NOT want to disagree just based upon his stature! - believe me... the SAFEST strategy would be to ignore his presence in a room - if you could - which she did)"

So true. That Dana was/is such a Big Man! Yet very kind and un-intimidating. That was a great experience to work with him. Too bad it had to end that way.

I certainly hope all is well with Dana King these days...

Hey Dana! God bless!

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Reading the various accounts of WHY the corps chalet was built and HOW it was built is a good example of twi's utter failure to live up to the standards they promoted and their pretentious ideas of "divine guidance" in their decision making processes.

Wierwille used to sit upon his mogly throne, telling anyone who would listen, how the standards of the world were not good enough for "Gawd's ministry"...he would explain that when twi built something, it was the VERY BEST because Gawd's hand was upon their lives and HE provided the details on how to do it the BEST way...

...Yeah, right. <_<

Either Gawd needs to "go to school" and learn the proper way to build a log home...or maybe, just maybe...Wierwille was a lying bag of wind.