GreaseSpot Cafe

Phrases to manipulate us with

houseisarockin

Steve, you really beat me to that one! "no friends when it comes to the word" in a lot of ways really meant "only friends you can have are in the ministry." Can't "fully share" (there's another one!) with anyone outside of the built of straw framework of TWI. Thank God I developed a few real friendships outside of that mess before I left.

The threat of expulsion was and still is very real, very threatening for a lot of folks. They really would have nowhere to go, no support, no real friends.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no friends when it comes to the Word=I have no friends. I'd say that would be accurate if everything we did had to line up with the standard of the Word. But God knowing we couldn't quite pull that off thought to mention things like "forget not all my statutes." So if He didn't expect me to be Word perfect (not the Bill Gates kind) then why should I expect my friends to be?

Part of their mission statement: "a follower of The Way is filled with and manifests power from on high, holy spirit, and freely avails himself of fellowship meetings for spiritual nurture and growth." © TWI

But what they're really saying in "freely avails" is you should want the fellowship and instruction. If not then you need to think about what needs changed to get it back correct in your thinking. What they say=freely avails! Alarms that "freely availing" yourself to some things could see your fall was overlooked. Don't avert attention to yourself, just "freely avail" away.

In their "full sharing" a few quotes from their current mag: (truths learned from Epistle)..First, our fellowship, or full sharing, is with our heavenly Father. When our continued relationship, or fellowship, with God is put first in priority, then the fellowship we have with others is the best because it is based on God's Word. © TWI

Okay that sounds right on but they taught us there was no full sharing outside the household so we couldn't have true fellowship either, not without that full sharing. Is this circular or what? Their "others" in that statement is not you and I is it?

This quote is from their website: We do not commit our work to publication until we are fully persuaded on a subject. After all, research doesn't mean a simple, cursory reading. It denotes study, observation, and unemotional, detached consideration. © TWI

I found this to be odd, is it me? "It denotes..unemotional, detached consideration." While I understand their definition of "unemotional" we know it's a word of convenience. It depends on the one showing or not showing it. Craig was a walking piece of emotion.

What of the word "detached?" I do believe that is well defined there, and gives a view of their capacity to be attached at all.

I'd say they prefer us be "emotional" for their cause and "detached" from all else but them.

Freely avail- "I, the party of the first part, hereby forfeit my freedom to avail myself of anything in this organization. I understand that I am to 'freely avail' myself of time, evil material weatlth, and common sense to and for the organization. Results are not guaranteed, only da verd. Therefore, I understand that by freely availing, I cannot reasonably expect any return on my 'investment'."

"As a potential follower, you will need to fill out a simple financial statement, and provide verification of your statements. A simple copy of your last three years of Federal tax returns will be sufficient, as long as you include a sworn affidavit claiming that you had no other income.

We will also need to know your dental and physical condition. Your physician will have the proper forms allowing us to view your records.

While our qualifications are rigid, many will find "membership" in the organization worthwhile. Besides, we just can't have any poverty or sickness- this is the true household ya know."

It would not suprise me if it came to this. Almost like an application for an exclusive country club somewhere.. many were told to check people's teeth before witnessing to them!

No "bums" allowed in da vey!

In my opinion, this is the real definition of "freely availing." It is "available" only to "the best, the very few".

Those who have no money or real problems need not apply.

There was a song "You are Special" well if everyone is special then no one is.

And the good/best thing had more to do with rationalizing sin. According to twi our choice was good/best not good/bad, so if we chose something that felt good, we could shrug it off as not the best, but good.

Regarding "no friends" and "fully sharing", not only could we not fully share, in theory, with anyone outside TWI; in practice, we couldn't fully share with anyone inside either. We couldn't share our questions and doubts. TWI cut us off from fully sharing with ANYONE! It turned into part of their program of manipulation, generating isolation.

Love,

Steve

AMEN! Steve,

Fully sharing with those in TWI meant the possibility of saying or doing something that would get you "turned in" to leadership, for not thinking like-minded in the household. And we all know what a can of worms that opens up!

Mr H! You crack me up! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Hammeroni:

"As a potential follower, you will need to fill out a simple financial statement, and provide verification of your statements. A simple copy of your last three years of Federal tax returns will be sufficient, as long as you include a sworn affidavit claiming that you had no other income."

I feel that I must point out that I was never asked any of these questions, during my 18 year involvement with TWI.

Nor did I ever see anyone else required to submit such.

The closest that I recall was when someone went WOW, they had to list what debts and financial obligations they had, to prove that they were walking into the WOW program without bringing into it financial obligaitons that would endanger their future WOW-family.

:-)

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Hammeroni:

I agree.. nowadays though, they have their noses so far up your financial rear end that they know what you had for breakfast.

I would say that they have their noses so far up your financial backside that they know what it is you ate the very second you ate it.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Hammeroni:

Might be more appropriate if they said "we do not commit our work to publication.. anymore." The limited edition of the few pages of Vey rag can hardly qualify as "publication".

We've heard it rumored they were working on new classes. Ed Horney went somewhere, somewhere in the belly of the system. I've wondered what he was doing. New classes...I've wondered. All it is, all it is.

quote:
Originally posted by def59:

There was a song "You are Special" well if everyone is special then no one is.

And the good/best thing had more to do with rationalizing sin. According to twi our choice was good/best not good/bad, so if we chose something that felt good, we could shrug it off as not the best, but good.

And we went round and round! anim-smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Lortz:

Regarding "no friends" and "fully sharing", not only could we not fully share, in theory, with anyone outside TWI; in practice, we couldn't fully share with anyone inside either. We couldn't share our questions and doubts. TWI cut us off from fully sharing with ANYONE! It turned into part of their program of manipulation, generating isolation.

Love,

Steve

Steve, when they taught it as towards God they were right on. We could freely avail with no limits. But why have the fullness of folks around you to tap into if not to partake. I never understood that backing on anything taught from the almighty corn rows in Ohio.

And in that sharing why could I not open my heart expecting them to have a beginning in whatever they may have said.

They had to hold the control. They couldn't be with us each step of the way, but they could insist you limit your outside twi household activity. Which included family for years but just recently they let up on the reins on. Too many lights being shined towards it I think.

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:

AMEN! Steve,

Fully sharing with those in TWI meant the possibility of saying or doing something that would get you "turned in" to leadership, for not thinking like-minded in the household. And we all know what a can of worms that opens up!

Mr H! You crack me up! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

YUCKY worms too.

And I second your words to Mr. H....he's wonderful.

quote:
Originally posted by Galen:

Hammeroni:

"As a potential follower, you will need to fill out a simple financial statement, and provide verification of your statements. A simple copy of your last three years of Federal tax returns will be sufficient, as long as you include a sworn affidavit claiming that you had no other income."

I feel that I must point out that I was never asked any of these questions, during my 18 year involvement with TWI.

Nor did I ever see anyone else required to submit such.

The closest that I recall was when someone went WOW, they had to list what debts and financial obligations they had, to prove that they were walking into the WOW program without bringing into it financial obligaitons that would endanger their future WOW-family.

:-)

You left before the 90's didn't you?

I don't know about you Trefor, but they did ask me. And about anybody else I knew that went also. Maybe you were just extra special!

One of the WOWs in my "family" acquired a car on credit for the year. His mother had actually made payment for him for the year. I think she forked over the whole amount to him, he just had to mail it in to the bank. They raked him over the coals because he acquired debt in the middle of the WOW year. This was in 1977. Maybe this was an exception back then, I don't know.

I imagine that the present leadership may think that "well, that is just old news, how is that relevant?" My answer is: 1. I actually witnessed it. 2. Things are proven to be far worse now.