GreaseSpot Cafe

Memorization

Jim

Skyrider wrote in his spiritual abuse thread...

quote:
learn the names of all corps on campus (350+ and elder corps) within the first two weeks, memorize the first chapter of Ephesians,

This sentence touched a nerve with me.

I can't memorize anything verbatim. I have to check my drivers license if someone asks for my house address. It takes a couple months to learn my phone number. Because of this, in TWI, I lived in constant dread of having to recite retimory cards or anything else that required exact, unerring memorization.

Am I disabled? No, not at all. I have an excellent memory. The problem is that I can remember images and sounds but not words. None of this bothers me in the least, other than not being able to do any acting or performing that would require memorization.

What does this have to do with TWI? I was treated as though I was stupid or lazy for not being able to recite Bible verses. I could see that if I were to go in the corps, there would be hell to pay.

Anyone else have a physical or mental quirk that caused them unnecesary pain or embarrassment in TWI?

My memory sucks, but I think it's from too many drugs in college. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

LOL! Seriously, I can remember formulas and other math-related things and I can remember names really well, but I could not - for the life of me - remember verses and those d*mn definitions, especially after craig added 10 paragraphs to each one.

I recall an incident where a corps person was called upon to recite a certain retemory verse. The guy almost got it perfect...he screwed up on one pronoun...In front of 500 people, LCM tore into this guy and reduced him to tears...totally humiliated him. I couldn't help but think about the verse he "screwed up"...something about being kindly affectionate towards one another...the stark hypocracy of it hit me in the face, even then...and yes, I also lived in fear that he would one day call my name...

I have a great memory for words - see it once, I'll always remember how its spelled. But numbers - I can never remember.

What most people don't realize, is that LCM had pretty much a photographic memory - which he used to wow everyone with how smart he was. He could look at a verse and have it memorized - because of photographic memory. Most of us don't have that.

I remember one of my years in-residence, I forget which, they'd give us a written retemory test after the weekly corps night. All year, I could never pass it. Then Craig came down on us - get it right or else. Well, that corps night lasted very late - til maybe 1:00 a.m., so he told us to have it on his desk before breakfast the next morning. I went back and stayed up, used my Bible and got %100 on that sucker - so did the rest of the folks.

I can remember a word, I have wonderful comprehension and can tell you exactly what I've read and analyze it, but verbatim - no way.

As I said, LCM used it to wow and amaze people. Of course, we were too dumb to realize it and everyone thought they should be able to retemorize like that.

quote:
What most people don't realize, is that LCM had pretty much a photographic memory - which he used to wow everyone with how smart he was. He could look at a verse and have it memorized

What a sick fsking irony. Teach that a photographic memory is a devil spirit then use that ability to manipulate others. I feel like I need to stick my finger down my throat.

I could never memorize those bible verses either.

My memory is more associative than photographic. Things that I learn are associated with other things in a kind of chain.

I was good with concepts, and could usually tell you where a verse could be found based on the subject matter, but I could never keep the word-for-word in my head for very long.

I don't think Martindale had a photographic memory. They taught a "memory class" in the corps, teaching how to build mental memory pegs and the such...I worked it for awhile and it does work. Martindale worked it more...that's all.

What I find amazing is that all the emphasis was placed on the mechanics of memorization. Getting every exact word in the right order, etc...even though they acknowledged that the English version of the bible was a translation made by men. Was there something "spiritual" about memorizing the order of words used by tranlators from hundreds of years ago, whick originally was derived from a different language? What about the CONTENT of the verse? Seems that they should have read the verse and then asked the corps in training to explain WHAT IT MEANS and HOW IT SHOULD BE APPLIED! Nope, Martindumb was too concerned with a mental excercize where he could show off his own abilities to memorize and then demonstrate to all, how he is superior by publicly humiliating those who had not mastered his memorization techniques. What a jerkoff!