GreaseSpot Cafe

Kiss your money good-bye

skyrider

In reading through that thread on twi theme for the new year, I was stunned by rivenbark's mushy message.

quote:
R*venbark:

"It's my pleasure to share with you that in the 2004-2005 year, we'll have the privilege of uniting around the theme The Promised Land of the Prevailing Word: Building Biblical Understanding. We'll move forward together on this theme, reaching new heights of understanding our heavenly Father's heart for us, His children. From youth to maturity, understanding the knowledge of God's Word is essential for success." Jan/Feb 2005 Way Magazine

It seems like doublespeak to me because....they are "always" building and there seems like NOTHING to show for it. Now, I realize that she is speaking about "building biblical understanding"......but, to all who've been around twi for decades, RISE and EXPANSION are to go hand in hand. Otherwise.....it's counterfeit. icon_smile.gif:)-->

I would venture to say that 30 years ago, in 1975.....twi had about the same numbers, the same geographical presence. And if THAT'S true.....then what is there to show for this, except more centralization. So....now there's a bigger bureacracy to dictate policies! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Might as well.......kiss your money good-bye when supporting such efforts. Imagine living a thousand miles away and sending in 15% of your annual income for what? A magazine. A weekly audiocassette tape. And, perhaps.......a confronting corps person in your area.

No thanks. I'd keep my money and invest it elsewhere. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

skyrider

Sky --- I posted this on Raf's site, and I think it is in agreement with what you stated here.

quote:
Even though the finished work of the cross, and the triumph of the open tomb were taught -- it's almost as if that was just a *starting point*, and it was up to us from that point on (know what I mean?). We needed to rely on our own believing instead of the accomplished work. And then the structure of twi (from my perspective) seemed to be so *constructed/maintained*, that we looked to Hdqtrs. for answers more than we did the Scriptures.

It got to where twi had effectively replaced the scriptures that they propounded to teach. The Bible became a side-show (if you will) for the main attraction ---TWI.

If you want to see the whole context of this quote, go HERE!

You're right, Wayfer Not!.......my mistake. The magazine and tape cost EXTRA.....and that's a MANDATORY cost, doncha know? icon_mad.gif

dmiller.....yeah, the bible is a side-show that keeps people around waiting for "the main attraction" --- twi. It's gotten to the place where people will sit around and endure just about anything.....to stay in denial.

At least....in justifying my passt involvement icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->....we got more for our buck ($$) in the mid-70s. There was good music, good times, lots of kickback fellowship, fun times and very SHORT bible teachings. Nothing heavy, nothing complicated, nothing religious or mushy.....yet, powerful!

Ain't that way no more. It's worse than dead.......it's boooooooring religious platitudes from old geeezers! icon_eek.gif

Save your money, folks. Read a couple of verses if you want.....and enjoy that beer.

skyrider

Originally posted by skyrider:

in the mid-70s. There was good music, good times, lots of kickback fellowship, fun times and very SHORT bible teachings. Nothing heavy, nothing complicated, nothing religious or mushy.....yet, powerful!

Thats what originally got me. Then all the teachings that were a real stretch to believe. When I read the word it spoke to me. The word is alive. What I discovered was that I needed out and found a place where what I heard was what I read.

VP should have stoped with the basics and not tried to strtch everything to be differant. Thats what gave him away.

quote:
Originally posted by ex70'shouston:

VP should have stoped with the basics and not tried to strtch everything to be differant. Thats what gave him away.

Of course, if he didn't have something different to offer, he couldn't have competed with the big churches. On the other hand, going out of one's way to "stake new ground" in biblical research can be devastating. I saw this to be especially true during LCM's reign. (Can't be the MOG unless I come up with some new stuff. Let's see ... here's a good one: I'll teach that the only reason for a space program is military dominance! No, wait ... here's a better one: homosexuality isn't just evil, it's the FOUNDATIONAL evil! Yeah ... that's the ticket!) icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Sheesh! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

George