GreaseSpot Cafe

Bull Riding School

skyrider

Hey Hap,

I am so glad to hear that Bob got his buckle back. Did he ask to have it back? Or did Craig just send it because he heard that Bob was troubled by not having it anymore?

Are you still in contact with them? He was a really neat guy, and what an athlete! Nice to hear that the buckle thing had a good ending, and I'm glad to hear about your toe. Cool...

And LindaZ,

I guess the first times that did the rodeo thing, it was a freebie thing at Corps graduation. My wife, a Seventh Corps grad remembers this as well. But then it developed in to the "High Country Rodeo School" in which I was in the first one. I even have a certificate of graduation, and a group photo of all of us who were in it. JP was in that one as a matter of fact. But when we in the Tenth Corps graduated, we had a rodeo for our own entertainment (I guess that's why it was done), and all rodeo school grads were invited to participate, as well as anyone else that wanted to do it. So, there was an actual "school" (just like in the real world of Rodeo where there are "Rodeo schools"), and then there was Corps graduation Rodeo.

And hey,

There is an uproariously funny book about rodeo if you want to laugh yourself to tears sometime. It's called;

"Hey Cowboy, You Wanna Get Lucky?" by Baxter Black.

It's not very long at all, and if you like to read you'll go through it really fast. It's about two cowboys on their way the the National Finals. They drink, get in fights, win and lose at the many rodeos, fall in love with different local gals, and you just gotta love 'em...

Anywhoo, I recommend it...

quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Lingo:

Hey Hap,

I am so glad to hear that Bob got his buckle back. Did he ask to have it back? Or did Craig just send it because he heard that Bob was troubled by not having it anymore?

Are you still in contact with them? He was a really neat guy, and what an athlete!

Lingo-

Pffft, yeah right, Craig just sent it back uh huh RIGHT! Honestly, I can't recall, offhand the circumstances, so I better not say more. I was at Bob's house right after it came back to him, but it was a long time ago. It was not a matter of him not having the buckle, it was a matter of who it was that DID have it as I seem to recall. It was an honor from men, which was nice, but it was honor from God that was more rewarding in their lives.

Yes, my wife and I have maintained contact with them, and with the three kids. But not as much as we would all like now that they are a little further away. We have considered them our dearest friends for well over 25 years. They are all doing well.

~HAP

Geez Hap, 25 years huh? And you are in Colorado? Did you used to rodeo? I am wondering if I know you. Not that I rodeo'd after all of that, but if you knew him that long ago, I am wondering if you were involved in the rodeo schools and all of that?

Well, I surely hope that Bob is just living life to the fullest. Such a fine guy he was/is. Do any of his kids rodeo?

Yep, Bob and Robin were good, salt-of-the-earth folks and I'm so glad he got his buckle back from the spandex cowboy.

Hi Jardi! Oh, this is weird...I just remembered I had a dream the other night and you were in it dressed in a bridal gown and it was you but you looked like Minnie Driver. Where the ha-il did that come from?

Hubs did rodeo school when we were in residence and had fun doing it. He thinks it cost $200, and I'm sure some poor sponsor paid for it because we sure didn't have the extra cash. He also said it was dangerous but he happened to come back in one piece.

Jardinero- I think the rigidity of the corps does not mesh well with the freedom attitude of rodeo cowboys. Drinking koolaid doesn't go well with coffee on the run to get to your next event. The dishonesty before God, and dishonesty with the Word, and the infidelity of its leadership were insulting to us all.

Any of you- I will be happy to pass on your greetings to them, if you want to send them to a PT through me. It would be great to hear how they affected your lives.

My experiences with them date from before Robin took the class. As I recall, Groucho was her first twig leader. Funny how God finds the strangest people -Groucho and I- to start a great work. Robin was pregnant with their first daughter at the time.

Lingo- We may have met, but I only helped out at one or two of TWI rodeo things, one in Arvada, when the visiting TWI dignitaries came to town. I think it may have been their first introduction to bullriding. I did go to a rodeo school where Bob taught bullriding. It was at Bruce Ford's (a bareback champ) place in Kersey, and had nothing to do with TWI other than the fact that Bob was in my twig and I wanted to spend time with the man.

I did not rodeo, but tried riding a few bulls, since I knew Bob would cover my backside. He always did. It was the first that I had ever purposefully put myself in a dangerous situation. It was quite a release from fears of any kind. I had several of the rodeo guys in my twig. One other went into the corpse, Pat ---. (dang, I can't remember last name at this instant) He was a fine artist, and I have one of his bronzes. He was another great person.

Their oldest daughter did barrel racing and trick riding internationally, is now married to a rancher, she also owns a business in their home town. The younger daughter is quite a cook, according to my son, and she is pursuing chef's school as money allows. (donations anyone? LOL) You all may not know they also have a son (after leaving TWI) he is still in school. Last I heard he prefers football, which is what Bob wanted to do, but Bob's mother wouldn't allow it because it was too dangerous.

~HAP

The only recollection I have of any Bull riding School stories is this.

The guy I sat next to on Corps Nights (since we had to sit alphabetically)told me that when he went...the person who rode right before him handed him the saddle. I guess this was bronco riding (not bull) and he told me the saddle was soaked in urine.

Yippee. icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

quote:
And LindaZ,.....I guess the first times that did the rodeo thing, it was a freebie thing at Corps graduation. My wife, a Seventh Corps grad remembers this as well. But then it developed in to the "High Country Rodeo School" ...

Yeah.....during corps graduation week. That's the one. I'd forgot that this rodeo thing was opened up to others in the following years.

With vpw on campus, the place was buzzing with activity. Lots of meetings....an afternoon of volleyball, rafting, games, and a couple of nightowls that week. At the supper meal the day before our rodeo, I was sitting at the head table when vpw took the microphone after announcements and said , "We'll see which one of you cowboy studs can ride dem bulls tomorrow." He talked for about 3 or 4 minutes and then left. Whether he was hyping it or just pokin' at us, I don't know.

BUT........my, oh my......there were so many guys lined up the next morning at 5:30 am (NO kidding.... 5:30am to ride the mechanical bull to qualify) that you'da thought there was a $20,000 prize. Even I got to the back of the line and tried to ride that damn thing....but couldn't. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Glad to hear that Donxaldson got his buckle back. I remember him giving it to craig as a gift. Don't quite remember why he did it......even at that time, it struck me as a little odd. And, for craig to even 'want' to accept it......?????

Yeah Sky, that buckle thing was strange. I guess Bob wanted to show his respect, or, maybe at that time, being a human like the rest of us was doing a little sucking up. But I'd rather not think of him that way, because he was an awfully nice fella. But yeah, glad he got it back.

And man! For Craig to have accepted it! How looney, and then to wear it around!! I still remember the look of surprise on those cowboys faces at that Gunnison rodeo in town. At first they were really surprised, and then as they were sitting together later, they seemed to be snickering about it.

And, as far as "all of the guys lining up" to ride, well, that's just how us guys are some times, ya know? Guys have always been into "fightin' fu**in and foot racin", and I guess that guys in the Corps were no different I suppose. I guess it's a genetic defect. My sister calls it "testosterone poisoning", and to a degree, I think she has a point there. Sometimes we guys are really idiots...

quote:
And, as far as "all of the guys lining up" to ride, well, that's just how us guys are some times, ya know? Guys have always been into "fightin' fu**in and foot racin", and I guess that guys in the Corps were no different I suppose. I guess it's a genetic defect. My sister calls it "testosterone poisoning", and to a degree, I think she has a point there. Sometimes we guys are really idiots...

That's for sure! Without exaggerating one bit......I'd say there were about 150 - 175 guys standing in line......standing in the dark.....waiting for their turn.....to ride a mechanical bull....to see if they'd qualify. Yeah,......AND at rodeo time vpw would be sitting in the announcer's booth with Uncle George.

The reason for the 5:30am mechanical bull ride.......1) to see who was serious about riding, 2) to have the qualifiers named by breakfast (7:30am?), and 3) to organize all those who didn't qualify as volunteers to open/close chutes and stuff.

If I remember right......there were only about 25 bulls to ride, at most. That meant LOTS and LOTS of guys didn't make the cut.